Page 69 of 131 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 3258

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

heh... sacrilege making a Marzen as an Ale!

but Deschuttes is a high quality brewery so I know it's good

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I tried one of these a few weeks ago:

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/beer/hopzeit/

Not a true Oktoberfest, but a hoppier version of the Märzenbier available seasonally (Aug-Oct) by Deschutes Brewery of Bend, Oregon. A more bitter Oktoberfest, if you will. I found it tasty.

I was in a liquor store recently and they had only two Oktoberfest beers, Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada. But there are other liquor stores, and it is still September.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Hopzeit looks great. I’m drinking the Left Hand Marzen Oktoberfest and it’s not traditional in magnitude of ingredients. At 6.6% ABV the barley malt was cranked up to produce the sugar for the alcohol and then the Noble Hops was increased for balance. Essentially a more intense experience than tradition. Lovely[emoji106]

Great anecdote, Jerol. Sounds like fun.

Spent the weekend in Wisconsin and drank a lot of New Glarus Octoberfest. Really good stuff, but only available in state.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I have a 22 oz. Oktoberfest beer from Indian Wells Brewery in Inyokern, California. This is the only photo I was able to find:

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Just a head's up...Sixpoint Binary DIPA is very good and well worth your caish. Brooklyn, NY & Memphis, TN. Wtf?

Other night tried a draft beer from Alaskan Brewery called Hopothermia. Very good.

https://alaskanbeer.com/our-beers/hopothermia/

Today I had a dozen beer samples at an Oktoberfest. One from CA, one from OR, one from NV, the rest from Germany. Most, but not all were Oktoberfest beers. All were good.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Other night tried a draft beer from Alaskan Brewery called Hopothermia. Very good.

https://alaskanbeer.com/our-beers/hopothermia/

Today I had a dozen beer samples at an Oktoberfest. One from CA, one from OR, one from NV, the rest from Germany. Most, but not all were Oktoberfest beers. All were good.
    Hopothermia is a great one.

I found out this exists. Now I just have to find one.

Banned

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

This Oktoberfest Lager is composed of appropriate amounts of German malt and hops, plus it is blasted with a dry hopped cannon of American hops. Not 100% traditional but my fav so far. Best enjoyed after warming from fridge temp.

I know there are some Founders CBS fans here. They just announced that they will be releasing a new batch on November 1.

Let me elbow my way in here good people...

Anybody think that the craft beer spectrum has become so crowded that it’s almost impossible to discuss them or find common ground anymore? I mean, I’m not American so I have no clue about 90% of the brews featured here, nor could I hope to get my hands on most - living between Japan and Thailand.

Here too, there are so many new brews that I can’t keep up. Miyazaki’s Hideji beer just produced a limited edition absolute world class Chestnut Porter but it’s sooo local that...

I’m an hour north of Bangkok as I write this and, on a tiny, minor back road 5 minutes from my abode, there’s brewer called Lazy Fat Cat and, yes, they do a very credible job in all the styles. They recently did a collabo with Vietnam’s kickass Heart of Darkness but... again there’s just too much out there.

Good for imbibing but hard to talk about these days.

^You make a good point. The only Thai beer I have ever seen in the western US is Singha. I don't recall ever seeing a Vietnamese beer. I would be happy to try one. And many of the regional craft beers in parts of the US are unknown to me. Only when craft breweries sell enough beer and become big enough for national distribution, am I likely to see them in liquor stores or on draft in places that specialize in having craft beers on tap. But when they get that big, are they really craft beers any more?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    I know there are some Founders CBS fans here. They just announced that they will be releasing a new batch on November 1.
    I can't seem to remember what "CBS" refers to. "CRS," I recall, means "can't remember shit."

I recently tried a very good lager. Some of you may scoff at lager beer; I'm sure it's not very prog. But the US was founded on lager beers, and a good lager is a great warm-weather quaff. The mass-produced ones are quite boring. But I can recommend Deschutes Pacific Wonderland Lager. Some of Deschutes brews are better than others, although none are bad. Two of them they nailed are Fresh-Squeezed IPA and Pacific Wonderland Lager.

Banned
    A good Czech Hopped Pils lager will make you think twice about whether only ales are hoppy. An example would Bibo Pilsner here:

http://www.5seasonsbrewing.com/locat...n-beers-on-tap

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Let me elbow my way in here good people...

Anybody think that the craft beer spectrum has become so crowded that it’s almost impossible to discuss them or find common ground anymore? I mean, I’m not American so I have no clue about 90% of the brews featured here, nor could I hope to get my hands on most - living between Japan and Thailand.

Here too, there are so many new brews that I can’t keep up. Miyazaki’s Hideji beer just produced a limited edition absolute world class Chestnut Porter but it’s sooo local that...

I’m an hour north of Bangkok as I write this and, on a tiny, minor back road 5 minutes from my abode, there’s brewer called Lazy Fat Cat and, yes, they do a very credible job in all the styles. They recently did a collabo with Vietnam’s kickass Heart of Darkness but... again there’s just too much out there.

Good for imbibing but hard to talk about these days.
    Where I live (U.S. State of Michigan), there are so many breweries that the bubble has to eventually burst. I have about 50 breweries within 2 hours drive of where I live. Most of these did not exist 10 years ago.

^Y

I can't seem to remember what "CBS" refers to. "CRS," I recall, means "can't remember shit."
    Canadian Breakfast Stout

I recently tried a very good lager. Some of you may scoff at lager beer; I'm sure it's not very prog. But the US was founded on lager beers, and a good lager is a great warm-weather quaff. The mass-produced ones are quite boring. But I can recommend Deschutes Pacific Wonderland Lager. Some of Deschutes brews are better than others, although none are bad. Two of them they nailed are Fresh-Squeezed IPA and Pacific Wonderland Lager.
    Nothing wrong with a good lager. Here is Kalamazoo Bell's makes a very good one called Lager Of The Lakes. It is a great summer beer. Founders also came out with Solid Gold last year which is another good lager.

I am also a fan of Fresh Squeezed IPA.

Nothing wrong with a good lager. Here in Kalamazoo Bell's makes a very good one called Lager Of The Lakes. It is a great summer beer. Founders also came out with Solid Gold last year which is another good lager.

I am also a fan of Fresh Squeezed IPA.

^You make a good point. The only Thai beer I have ever seen in the western US is Singha. I don't recall ever seeing a Vietnamese beer. I would be happy to try one. And many of the regional craft beers in parts of the US are unknown to me. Only when craft breweries sell enough beer and become big enough for national distribution, am I likely to see them in liquor stores or on draft in places that specialize in having craft beers on tap. But when they get that big, are they really craft beers any more?

And, perhaps not by mere accident, Congressional Research Service.
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    I'm pretty much turned off by most new stuff I see on sale locally- IPA this, double-hopped that, kiwi-flavored extra-special super-duper, limited edition, pin-head mcfuckface signature hop monster. One would never guess that in the 3000+ history of beer at least 95% of that time beer had absolutely zero hops. Don't get me wrong, I like hops, but I or anyone can easily make a dry hopped beer at home - even using pellets- that taste as good or better than the escoteric, over-hopped, fancy-ass named brews going for $8 and up a pop at the local brew pub.

... getting ready to duck...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia
    And, perhaps not by mere accident, Congressional Research Service.
    No worry there. It's been decades since Congress did a lick of work. Plus, I've done research and know what it's like. Congress isn't smart enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I'm pretty much turned off by most new stuff I see on sale locally- IPA this, double-hopped that, kiwi-flavored extra-special super-duper, limited edition, pin-head mcfuckface signature hop monster. One would never guess that in the 3000+ history of beer at least 95% of that time beer had absolutely zero hops. Don't get me wrong, I like hops, but I or anyone can easily make a dry hopped beer at home - even using pellets- that taste as good or better than the escoteric, over-hopped, fancy-ass named brews going for $8 and up a pop at the local brew pub.

Knowing that someone like you is on our Snob thread just hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post

TBH I am NOT a fan of the overhopped trendy crap of the past 7 years. I will always drink a black beer, any time of the year but for me an IPA has to have a good balance of hops and character. Nothing beats Bells Two Hearted Ale... no IPA is EVEN CLOSE IMO
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Knowing that someone like you is on our Snob thread just hurts...
    A personal attack in a response to my opinion about beer says a LOT more about you than it does about me...
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 10-17-2018 at 02:04 AM.