Page 64 of 131 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I found this in a local store and bought the last 4. Very nice !

https://www.brewdog.com/item/1176/Br...uice-Cans.html

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That's a terrible name for a beer.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^ Iirc, they opened a brewery in Columbus, so their beers have been easy to find around here. I've tried several, and I would only rate them as MOR/average. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's a terrible name for a beer.
    I dont see why they call it Elvis... did he love grapes?

I thought Elvis only liked fried bananas, peanut butter, amphetamines, and girls in high-waist white panties.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"grapefruit infused IPA" as if IPAs didnt already taste WAY too much like grapefruit juice
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It appears that my dream of a low calorie good tasting beer has been just that. Screw it! Bring on the gut!!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    It appears that my dream of a low calorie good tasting beer has been just that. Screw it! Bring on the gut!!!
    here's yer Prog Beer Snob membership card

welcome to great beer!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Actually after looking into it a little more, along with low alcohol, Founders All Day IPA is pretty light on calories too at only 147 per bottle / can. For craft beer that is quite low. It is my favorite session beer.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Actually after looking into it a little more, along with low alcohol, Founders All Day IPA is pretty light on calories too at only 147 per bottle / can. For craft beer that is quite low. It is my favorite session beer.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Yeah, low-alcohol craft beers are usually marked as "session" beer. Lower alcohol usually means lower calories (though you could brew it to put more calories in at lower alcohol levels by adding other stuff like fruit juice). But beer is, essentially, liquid bread. You can't really have a "low-cal" bread without compromising what it is. You just have to eat less bread. Same goes for beer. So I drink pretty moderately, but when I drink, I drink good beer.

I have mainly been drinking locally produced craft brews for a while, but I've quite enjoyed enjoyed Full Sail's Session Lager from the bottle. It looks like they did a lot with the line. I can only speak for the original red label.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I love that they call them Session Ales, 10 years ago that was just the strength of regular beer.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sugars and alcohol are the calories in beer.
    Hops, spices and water contains no calories.

Tree House & Trillium shipped to Michigan on it way to ProgDay for the sampling.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post

$16.99 too expensive for an excellent 6-pk? We may have to reconsider your beer snob credentials. haha. Oracle is very good and worth the price.
    20180811_143919.jpg

Am I back in ?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I only recently learned there is an 'east coast' style of IPA. I live in the west, and have been drinking 'west coast' IPA my whole life thinking it was the only IPA. I still don't know much about the east coast style, but because IPAs are my go-to beer, I thought I should try it. So far, I don't think they are bad, but I still prefer the west coast IPAs. Whether this is due to familiarity or just perhaps not yet having tried the best the east coast has to offer, I don't know. I noticed the east coast IPAs are often described as juicy and hazy. 'Hazy' could just mean unfiltered. But 'juicy?' Are they adding juice, and if so, what kind? I'm not a big fan of added ingredients in beer, beyond the requisite barley, hops, yeast and water. Or is the 'juice' just a preference for liquid hop extract over solid hop flowers? I'm not a home brewer, so any advice as to where to find a brief, simple description of the differences between regional styles of IPAs, as well as suggestions for what to try next, would be appreciated.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^ I'm pretty sure that "juicy" just refers to a citrusy flavor. No additives. You should be able to find definitions/descriptions on Beer Advocate and Rate Beer, I would think.

Off to Small City Taphouse for some brews and dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    20180811_143919.jpg

Am I back in ?
    Your reputation has been rescued. Haha. Your bottle of 120 is also heading to ProgDay.

^^^^^And heading to PD for the tasting is a bottle of Perrin No Rules Imperial Porter. You mentioned an interest in trying this. Also a bottle of beer extremeness. Those two for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Off to Small City Taphouse for some brews and dinner.
    Had-

JAFB Wooster Rain Delay IPA. It's a spectacular IPA, and I get it every chance I get.
    Taxman Coconut Rum Evasion Imperial Stout. Outstanding. Almost like an after dinner liqueur. Would be even better if the rum and coconut were balanced equally, (the rum is much more prominent,) but this one is special. Get it if you can.
    Columbus Brioso Coffee Cream Ale. You might not expect the coffee flavor to work with a cream ale, but this was excellent.
    Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter. Their flagship, and a top shelf brew.

Also tried a taster of Collision Bend Particle Collision IPA. Terrible. Notes of lemon and dishwater. Needless to say, I ordered something else.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I only recently learned there is an 'east coast' style of IPA. I live in the west, and have been drinking 'west coast' IPA my whole life thinking it was the only IPA. I still don't know much about the east coast style, but because IPAs are my go-to beer, I thought I should try it. So far, I don't think they are bad, but I still prefer the west coast IPAs. Whether this is due to familiarity or just perhaps not yet having tried the best the east coast has to offer, I don't know. I noticed the east coast IPAs are often described as juicy and hazy. 'Hazy' could just mean unfiltered. But 'juicy?' Are they adding juice, and if so, what kind? I'm not a big fan of added ingredients in beer, beyond the requisite barley, hops, yeast and water. Or is the 'juice' just a preference for liquid hop extract over solid hop flowers? I'm not a home brewer, so any advice as to where to find a brief, simple description of the differences between regional styles of IPAs, as well as suggestions for what to try next, would be appreciated.
    Here in Michigan the East Coast style has blown up over the past year or two, and just about every brewery has a version of it. The range in quality is all over the place. As Moecurly says the "juice" refers to the style's flavor and not additives. My personal favorite is Old Nation Brewing M-43, but I don't think it is available outside of the state.

^^^^^And heading to PD for the tasting is a bottle of Perrin No Rules Imperial Porter. You mentioned an interest in trying this. Also a bottle of beer extremeness. Those two for sure.
    That's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    They certainly aren't adding juice, its more a factor in how they brew and the additions of dry hops after primary fermentation, the creaminess is from oats & wheat. The best examples I know come from The Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Other Half, Trillium & Tree House.
    Ian