Page 55 of 131 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

No, I've heard of Radler. It's a style, and some craft brewers do brew it, and I think I've seen it as a category at beer competitions.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 05-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And a crime against beer.
    Any other geezers remember this crap?

Tasted damn good back in 7th grade..!!! And it was probably less then $1...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^^
    Not at all the same kind of beer we discussed above.
    No, I realize that, but for some reason it popped into my mind. I probably had some 40-something years ago.

Have any of you had the Fresh Squeezed by Deschutes? The first time I had it I was swearing it was blended with orange juice. It's ALL Hops, no fruit added.

Having a '15 DFH 120. The boozy punch has faded and caramel flavor has stepped forward.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Having a '15 DFH 120. The boozy punch has faded and caramel flavor has stepped forward.
    That sounds good, the 120 was a bit too boozy for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Have any of you had the Fresh Squeezed by Deschutes? The first time I had it I was swearing it was blended with orange juice. It's ALL Hops, no fruit added.
    I have a buddy who loves it, in fact it may be his favorite beer. I have tried it a few times and been underwhelmed. I don't hate it, but it is not something I ever seek out either.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I've a a few tasty Lambics. I remember Pyramid's Apricot Ale with some fondness. I even enjoyed a Sierra Nevada Sidecar last summer. So I guess I'm thoroughly in the heretic zone. However, these are excursions, usually in the summer, not the mainstream.
    I am thoroughly in the fruit in beer camp.

Uinta makes a wonderful lime pilsner for a limited summer release.

Plenty of fruited sours and goses can be had year-round, but West Brook's Key Lime Pie Gose is a perfect summer treat.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24134/224761/

But if I'm honest, some of my favorite all-day sippers during the summer are shandies. Perfect for sitting in the sun next to the pool. It works every time.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    No, I've heard of Radler. It's a style, and some craft brewers do brew it, and I think I've seen it as a category at beer competitions.
    There was a good German grapefruit radler I head at the local video game bar two weekends ago. I think it was Stiegl. It was a bright spring day, and I suck at pinball but nevertheless love to play. Bike road home was fun.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

It's just a beer and lemonade mix. Radler would translate to Biker (Cyclist), legend has it it was invented on a hot summer day when
    a landlord of a Biergarten ran out of beer 'cause to many bicycle riders stopping by. So he had to mix his beer to be able
    to still sell some.

The typical Bavarian Radler is mixed with clear lemonade. In north Germany there is a variant with orangeade called Alsterwasser
    (The Alster being a river, Wasser is water).

A Bavarian wheat beer mixed with orangeade would be called a Russ' (Russian), the name for wheat beer with coke is no longer
    political correct :-)

Really though stuff would be a Goaßnmaß (large goat beer) with a dark beer (like weizenbock) with cherry liquor and/or Cognac
    mixed with coke.

There is also wheat beer with banana juice sometimes called a Affenbier (ape beer)
    Last edited by TheH; 05-11-2018 at 01:06 PM.

^^^ What about Reinheitsgebot ?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I am thoroughly in the fruit in beer camp.

Uinta makes a wonderful lime pilsner for a limited summer release.

Plenty of fruited sours and goses can be had year-round, but West Brook's Key Lime Pie Gose is a perfect summer treat.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24134/224761/

But if I'm honest, some of my favorite all-day sippers during the summer are shandies. Perfect for sitting in the sun next to the pool. It works every time.
    I have no problem with well done fruit beers either (although not a Shandy fan). The kings of fruit beers here in the U.S. is New Glaurus out of Wisconsin. They do some amazing stuff and their fruit beers are always at the top of the charts. Unfortunately they don't distribute outside of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It's just a beer and lemonade mix. Radler would translate to Biker, legend has it it was invented on a hot summer day when
    a landlord of a Biergarten ran out of beer 'cause to many bicycle riders stopping by. So he had to mix his beer to be able
    to still sell some.
    I stand corrected. I am pretty sure I've seen it as a category in at least one of the competition festivals, though since it sounds like it's interchangeable with shandy, that would just be organizers preference, I guess.

I stand corrected. I am pretty sure I've seen it as a category in at least one of the competition festivals, though since it sounds like it's interchangeable with shandy, that would just be organizers preference, I guess.
    Beer shandy of any kind became very popular here in the last years, so ready mixed bottle beers are very common now.

An original Radler would still be simply a Bavarian Helles mixed with clear lemonade (normally Sprite here) (in most parts of Germany it would be
    Pilsener instead of Helles).

See here:
    http://www.americancraftbeer.com/wha...l-is-a-radler/
    Last edited by TheH; 05-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Banned
    The Death of Civilization is my new fav IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It's just a beer and lemonade mix. Radler would translate to Biker (Cyclist), legend has it it was invented on a hot summer day when
    to still sell some.

The typical Bavarian Radler is mixed with clear lemonade. In north Germany there is a variant with orangeade called Alsterwasser
    (The Alster being a river, Wasser is water).

A Bavarian wheat beer mixed with orangeade would be called a Russ' (Russian), the name for wheat beer with coke is no longer
    political correct :-)

Really though stuff would be a Goaßnmaß (large goat beer) with a dark beer (like weizenbock) with cherry liquor and/or Cognac
    mixed with coke.

There is also wheat beer with banana juice sometimes called a Affenbier (ape beer)
    Had my 1st ever Beer/lemonade(Bottled, don't remember the brand) while biking the Rhine from Bonn..Stopped in Konigswinter to go see a castle( was under renovation, damn!!) and there was a little grocery store that hadn't closed for the afternoon break..Very refreshing..!!

I just remembered, when I was young it was quite common in bars to order a mix of Porter and Lemonwater (citronvand). It has had a revival my daugther told me.
    In England they have something called Shandy (beer + soda) and in the US, Beer with Orange juice is called a Brass Monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    What about Reinheitsgebot
    yeah, I thought the Germans mixing anything with beer was STRICTLY VERBOTEN ! ! !
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I have been looking thru the "cellar" recently to re-assess.. Sipping on a '14 Bells Black Note Stout. This has gone from amazing to very good. Will be finishing the other '14 BN bottles while the goodness lasts.

Drinking with dinner, a Bourbon County Proprietors 2017. Fucking amazing (as Bourbon County usually is)

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I revisited Discretion Brewery on Friday with my wife. (She mooted the idea of trying all the local micro breweries, at one point or the other. Somewhat surprised, I readily agreed.) I had previously written them off, more or less, because a few aborted tries at ordering I thing I enjoyed without qualification.

However, perhaps it was the company, perhaps it was a flight specifically tailored to the least bitter offerings on tap, the excursion was an unqualified success. Most of what was on the flight I found enjoyable. The real standouts were their "Song in Your Heart" session brown ale (I'm always looking for a good brown ale), and the "Trip Trap Trip Trap" bock (which had a delicious and unexpected complexity). A tip of the cap to their "Dublin Sunburn" Irish red.

I left with my new 32 oz. growler filled with the brown ale.

So I am hereby spoiled for choice. I have four micro breweries within 10 miles that offer brews I actively enjoy. This means more good local beer than I could possibly drink.

There are also four or five more breweries in or around town to sample.

What to do with the bottled beer at the bottom of my fridge?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    yeah, I thought the Germans mixing anything with beer was STRICTLY VERBOTEN ! ! !
    It is, but those ready mix stuff ain't simply called beer. You can do almost everything with beer that you want, you just can't call it a beer then.
    (it's called something like Bierhaltiges Mixgetränk or so)

Correct me if I'm wrong but Reinheitsgebot was a way of ensuring that German beer was quality all the way.
    It wasn't legal to use corn, rice or apples instead of barley. It was both branding and law.
    But EU's laws about free exchange and competition changed that.
    I guess most German breweries today have lines of lager produced by 'Reinheitsgebot' rules, but they can do whatever they like.
    As in Belgium...

Off course more complex than that ^^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

"In March 1987, in a case brought by French brewers, the European Court of Justice found that the Reinheitsgebot was protectionist,"

^^

Haha, we Germans defend or beer to death... Gald I made through the Brandenburg Beer War alive... (Actually a Restaurant I sometimes visit sell the "Schwarzer Abt" (Black Abbot),
    I wasn't aware there was somuch fuss about it)