Page 48 of 131 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Now that’s Steam Punk[emoji6]
    Seriously!

Speaking of Dragons, I had some of this the other night: http://newhollandbrew.com/beer/dragons-milk/

It was outstanding. Very smooth, and not "overdone" like so many of these really extreme, bourbon infused, oak barrel things. It compared very favorably to the Kastel that I like so much, which has a similar vibe, but doesn't have the bourbon flavor like this one.

Bill

Picked up a variety 12-pack from New Belgium and liked all of them enough to buy another.

Cool! I'd forgotten they do the Fat Tire, which is a nice summertime beer. I'd like to try their Dubbel and Trippel, how did you find those?

Bill

I enjoyed the 2x, 3x, and Sour very much. I had the Citra before as well as a bottle hand labeled before they were even out for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I enjoyed the 2x, 3x, and Sour very much. I had the Citra before as well as a bottle hand labeled before they were even out for sale.
    Cool, I'll look for these. Maybe I can even still find the sampler box, the 1554 looks good as well and I like black lagers. Thanks!

Bill

On New Year's Eve I tried a "Tragically Hopped" IPA by Great North Aleworks. Pleasantly high IBU level...

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/41923/246490/

And I received a can of "Northern Heights" by Ten Bends Beer as a gift. Pretty nice double IPA.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46703/314266/
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Seriously!

Speaking of Dragons, I had some of this the other night: http://newhollandbrew.com/beer/dragons-milk/

It was outstanding. Very smooth, and not "overdone" like so many of these really extreme, bourbon infused, oak barrel things. It compared very favorably to the Kastel that I like so much, which has a similar vibe, but doesn't have the bourbon flavor like this one.

Bill
    That is good stuff. New Holland can be hit and miss, but this brew is outstanding.

It's only been in the last year or so that I've more actively started trying various stouts again (after a hiatus of about 15 years). And it was about a year ago when I tried Dragon's Milk. What I remember most was how much thicker it was than stouts I recalled. I'd probably need to try it again to really know how I feel about the taste - my frame of reference has been shifted quite a bit by the stouts I've tried just in the last few months.

My brother surprised me with another CBS last night for my birthday.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It's only been in the last year or so that I've more actively started trying various stouts again (after a hiatus of about 15 years). And it was about a year ago when I tried Dragon's Milk. What I remember most was how much thicker it was than stouts I recalled. I'd probably need to try it again to really know how I feel about the taste - my frame of reference has been shifted quite a bit by the stouts I've tried just in the last few months.
    Yeah, it's a different beast than a typical stout, being flavored with bourbon and vanilla, and then oaked. My friends try a lot of these what I call "extreme" beers. Most of them I don't particularly like. They don't taste like beer to me anymore, having too much of the flavorings they are adding. The Dragon's Milk hit a far better balance of elements to me, and had a beautiful, creamy texture, which reminded me of the Kastel I like so much. It definitely is a thick beer, as you say. It also has a bit of sweetness to it, which I like, and this reminds me more of the Belgian strong ales rather than a stout. So Dragon's Milk kind of straddles some different styles.

Perhaps with the experience you've had it would be fun for you to try it again. In the end, it just depends on your palate whether it's a winner or just an also-ran.

Bill

Perhaps with the experience you've had it would be fun for you to try it again. In the end, it just depends on your palate whether it's a winner or just an also-ran.
    I certainly won't shy away from trying it again. My tastes are fickle. One day I'll think a beer is the greatest thing since sliced bread, the next day I've moved on to other things...
    <sig out of order>

I certainly won't shy away from trying it again. My tastes are fickle. One day I'll think a beer is the greatest thing since sliced bread, the next day I've moved on to other things...
    LOL, I hear you! We rarely stock the same beer for very long. I like to have things, enjoy them, then do something else for a while. My tastes are also very seasonal, as I'm sure a lot of people's are. I largely don't drink darker beers in the summer (though I had the Kastel in the summer, and that was fine, but we were inside). I'm not sure the Dragon's Milk would have been as appealing to me on a hot day.

I've also found over time my overall palate has changed. I used to do a lot of heavier beers, but now I'm leaning much more toward lighter, sweeter beers. I drink a lot of pils and lager, and beers like Leffe Blonde, which is my day-to-day favorite. Right now I have a 12 pack of Golden Monkey that I'm enjoying. I do still enjoy darker beers in the fall and winter, but I'm not really into all this overly-hopped stuff and a lot of the really "extreme" darker beers, with the exception of some of the darker Belgian ales. I like dark lagers a lot, which is why that New Holland 1550 caught my eye.

But I definitely get tired of things after a while and like to explore with beer, though I have a few favorites that I usually come back to eventually.

Bill

I don't vary things as much as I probably should. I don't explore too much outside of IPAs and stouts at the moment. I'm sure that will change with time. It's like obsessing over a narrow genre or one artist's extensive discography for years at a time, lol. But there are certain beers that used to be my go-to beers that I wonder if I'll ever bother going back to.
    <sig out of order>

But there are certain beers that used to be my go-to beers that I wonder if I'll ever bother going back to.
    Like what, out of curiosity?

My brother surprised me with another CBS last night for my birthday.
    Yeah, it's a different beast than a typical stout, being flavored with bourbon and vanilla, and then oaked. My friends try a lot of these what I call "extreme" beers. Most of them I don't particularly like. They don't taste like beer to me anymore, having too much of the flavorings they are adding. The Dragon's Milk hit a far better balance of elements to me, and had a beautiful, creamy texture, which reminded me of the Kastel I like so much. It definitely is a thick beer, as you say. It also has a bit of sweetness to it, which I like, and this reminds me more of the Belgian strong ales rather than a stout. So Dragon's Milk kind of straddles some different styles.

Bill
    I have a Dragon's Milk in my "beer cellar" that is awaiting a thorough evaluation against other Stouts of that style. I cant remember; is it a Sweet/Milk Stout or an Imperial or an Oatmeal or a Chocolate Stout or a Coffee Stout or just a regular American style Stout?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Like what, out of curiosity?
    Going back several years now I was mainly into some VT beers like Long Trail (Long Trail Ale, Double Bag) and Otter Creek (Copper Ale). In more recent years it was Otter Creek Backseat Berner (it seemed like they held out for years on making an IPA like this), Zero Gravity's Conehead, and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo.

I really don't like any of the Long Trail stuff anymore and more recent brews haven't grabbed me either.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I have a Dragon's Milk in my "beer cellar" that is awaiting a thorough evaluation against other Stouts of that style. I cant remember; is it a Sweet/Milk Stout or an Imperial or an Oatmeal or a Chocolate Stout or a Coffee Stout or just a regular American style Stout?
    New Holland describes it as a bourbon barrel-aged stout. Somewhere under the hood there's a stout of some order, probably an imperial as it is seems fairly low to moderate carbonation and if you took away the bourbon and vanilla flavors, I think it would be have some roasted malt flavor. But it's hard to tell. Additionally, I'm not sure there's much of a fundamental difference between Chocolate/Coffee stouts and Russian Imperial stouts, some of these are simply brewed to highlight certain taste characteristics.

Actually, I looked Dragon's Milk up on Beer Advocate, and they classify it as American Double/Imperial Stout, which has this description, which fits perfectly:

"The American Double Stout gets some of it inspiration from the Russian Imperial Stout. Many of these are barrel aged, mostly in bourbon / whiskey barrels, while some are infused with coffee or chocolate. Alcohol ranges vary, but tend to be quite big, and bigger than traditional Russian Imperial Stouts. Most tend to have cleaner alcohol flavors, higher hop levels, and more residual sweetness. Very full-bodied with rich roasted flavors far surpassing normal stouts."

So my basic sense was right, it's based on a Russian Imperial, but in typically American fashion, take to the "extreme." In this case, it worked for me, but so many of these just taste artificial and overdone to me.

Going back several years now I was mainly into some VT beers like Long Trail (Long Trail Ale, Double Bag) and Otter Creek (Copper Ale). In more recent years it was Otter Creek Backseat Berner (it seemed like they held out for years on making an IPA like this), Zero Gravity's Conehead, and Sierra Nevada's Torpedo.

I really don't like any of the Long Trail stuff anymore and more recent brews haven't grabbed me either.
    Interesting. I've had the Long Trail stuff as well, and like you probably won't go back to it. I'd hoped for more from the Double Bag, but I didn't particularly care for it. Altbiers are supposed to be smooth and delicate, and this was anything but to my taste.

I don't recall ever having any Otter Creek stuff, and I'm not that into IPAs, especially when they try to pack in too much hops. It just starts to get ridiculous (to me), I like them more balanced. The Zero G looks interesting.

Cheers!

Bill

I've had Dragonmilk at the brewery, and it was an Imperial Stout, and was not bourbon barrel aged. That was at least 5 years ago.

The Zero G looks interesting.
    I have a feeling you might like it.

I just remembered Otter Creek has (beginning a few years ago) a newer lineup of beers that are worth checking out. The Kind Ryed IPA and Over Easy are not bad. They have a bunch more I haven't tried. Looks like they don't make Copper Ale anymore.
    <sig out of order>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Russian Imperial Stouts are typically a reference to the alcohol content being above 9% the same way Double IPA's do it.

I find the Otter Creek & Long Trail fairly low key generic craft ales the same way Harpoon, Magic Hat & Sam Adams are. I won't actively hunt them out but if my options are limited in the pub or local store then I'll happily buy one and enjoy it. The best Long Trails I had recently were the Limbo (7.6% IPA) and Hibernator (6% winter ale) which were really rather nice.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've had Dragonmilk at the brewery, and it was an Imperial Stout, and was not bourbon barrel aged. That was at least 5 years ago.
    They must have re-formulated it since then.

I have a feeling you might like it.

I just remembered Otter Creek has (beginning a few years ago) a newer lineup of beers that are worth checking out. The Kind Ryed IPA and Over Easy are not bad. They have a bunch more I haven't tried. Looks like they don't make Copper Ale anymore.
    Oooh, I do like the Rye IPAs, so I'll look for that! Haven't had one in a while. Over Easy looks nice as well, that's more my style, particularly for Spring - Fall.

And I will look for the Zero G. I do like IPA, I've been drinking it for practically 30 years, long before they became the big thing and the hop-madness overtook the industry. I've just gotten really tired of these over-hopped crazy things. I go back to good old Harpoon IPA and it's like coming home! That said, a nice flavorful, but still balanced IPA can be great. Trillium made one that was super, but it was a special reserve and they don't always have it. Their regular IPA offerings vary somewhat, but generally I don't find them worth the price for me and focus on other things. Plus I rarely schlep down there to buy their beer anymore as I don't work in town any longer.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I work a 10 minute walk from Trillium's Fort Point brewery so walk over there quite often. Have to say I pretty much universally love everything they do. Their New England IPA's are fruity and juicy without the overhopped bitterness you get from West Coast style IPA's, their stouts, wild ales, saison are all great. They can be a bit overpriced but love them.

Tree House is the place I really need to take a drive out to check out, I've had a few of their beers and they are consistently excellent but its a 90 minute drive, there will be a queue, and you have no guarantee of what you'll get.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I work a 10 minute walk from Trillium's Fort Point brewery so walk over there quite often. Have to say I pretty much universally love everything they do. Their New England IPA's are fruity and juicy without the overhopped bitterness you get from West Coast style IPA's, their stouts, wild ales, saison are all great. They can be a bit overpriced but love them.
    Yeah, I noticed that frutiness in some of their IPAs. That wasn't really up my alley either, but they definitely weren't over-hopped. Their ales are very good and I had a Belgian style Tripel that was good as well. Not sure I've had their stout. The best one I had was that Special IPA which was super flavorful but not overly-hopped. That was actually the first beer I had from them, and in some sense it spoiled me. I keep looking for that taste and experience again from them, but don't get it from any of their other IPAs.

Bill

They must have re-formulated it since then.

Oooh, I do like the Rye IPAs, so I'll look for that! Haven't had one in a while. Over Easy looks nice as well, that's more my style, particularly for Spring - Fall.

And I will look for the Zero G. I do like IPA, I've been drinking it for practically 30 years, long before they became the big thing and the hop-madness overtook the industry. I've just gotten really tired of these over-hopped crazy things. I go back to good old Harpoon IPA and it's like coming home! That said, a nice flavorful, but still balanced IPA can be great. Trillium made one that was super, but it was a special reserve and they don't always have it. Their regular IPA offerings vary somewhat, but generally I don't find them worth the price for me and focus on other things. Plus I rarely schlep down there to buy their beer anymore as I don't work in town any longer.

Bill
    I forgot about Harpoon, lol. I usually go there about once or twice a year. I'm not crazy about their IPA, but that was one I used to get from time to time. Their Imperial IPA is great though. Several times I've been at the brewery and they have some awesome beer on tap. But then I can never find it in a store anywhere. I assumed they are one-offs. I remember being in the supermarket beer section and looking at all the Harpoon beers they had in stock. I think I counted 14 different Harpoon beers and not a single one interested me. They seem to be aiming mostly for middle-of-the-road. The company I work for helped them through the process of becoming associate-owned and for the last couple of years they have invited our employees down for a free beer glass to celebrate ownership so we'll get a big group together and head down for dinner and live music.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Tree House is the place I really need to take a drive out to check out, I've had a few of their beers and they are consistently excellent but its a 90 minute drive, there will be a queue, and you have no guarantee of what you'll get.
    I hate driving in the city so I'd have to find a really good reason to be in Boston. I just checked and Tree House is a 3-hour drive. I wish I'd known where it was last summer when my nephew graduated from URI and I would have made a detour.
    <sig out of order>

I forgot about Harpoon, lol. I usually go there about once or twice a year. I'm not crazy about their IPA, but that was one I used to get from time to time. Their Imperial IPA is great though. Several times I've been at the brewery and they have some awesome beer on tap. But then I can never find it in a store anywhere. I assumed they are one-offs. I remember being in the supermarket beer section and looking at all the Harpoon beers they had in stock. I think I counted 14 different Harpoon beers and not a single one interested me. They seem to be aiming mostly for middle-of-the-road. The company I work for helped them through the process of becoming associate-owned and for the last couple of years they have invited our employees down for a free beer glass to celebrate ownership so we'll get a big group together and head down for dinner and live music.
    Cool! All the years I've been in Boston and I've never visited the brewery. Two guys in one of the bands I am in used to play Harpoonfest in one of their old bands. They said those were some of their most memorable and fun gigs.

I agree, Harpoon can be a bit hit-or-miss and that a lot of their beers are pretty "middle of the road." Their IPA was one of the only readily available IPA offerings years ago, so in some ways it kind of set my standard for an IPA. It's mild as IPAs go now, but I still like it. I might try the Imperial IPA if I can find it. Their 100 Barrel series are often superb, and I actually like their Rye ale, though like their IPA, it's on the mild side. They do have a TON of beers listed on their website. Maybe next time I'm shopping for beer I'll see what Harpoons they have that looks interesting and try some.

Bill