Page 46 of 131 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Only ever had the one, its not distributed in MA, Donna gave me one she got in NY. Very good though I think Trillium, Tree House, Hill Farmstead have caught up and maybe passed.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Only ever had the one, its not distributed in MA, Donna gave me one she got in NY. Very good though I think Trillium, Tree House, Hill Farmstead have caught up and maybe passed.
    There are definitely several other perfectly good options out there.
    <sig out of order>

^ Yeah, I've had it once. Really, really good. Wouldn't rate it the top IPA I've had or anything, but it's excellent.

The two Plinys are the Holy Grail beers that I have yet to try.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Yeah, I've had it once. Really, really good. Wouldn't rate it the top IPA I've had or anything, but it's excellent.

I've had Pliny the Elder, it was on tap in Phillie. It was excellent, still looking for the Younger.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have had Pliny once. When Bell's Brewery had their 25th celebration a few years ago they hosted a huge beer festival and brought in breweries from all over the country. Pliny was there and it was amazing. We got in line for it as soon as we got there as it was gone within the first hour.

By the way I never see Trillium or Tree House stuff around here. And somehow, Hill Farmstead stuff has been off my radar to some extent. I did have their Difference & Repetition (not sure which #) a few weeks ago which was great.

Never had any of the Plinys. I think the Younger is probably Roy Moore's favorite IPA.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 12-03-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    <sig out of order>

Trillium & Tree House have very limited distribution, Trillium only a few places around Boston, Tree House you can only get direct from the brewery, they basically sell everything they can make straight out the back of the brewery. Great model if it works.
    Ian

Trillium & Tree House have very limited distribution, Trillium only a few places around Boston, Tree House you can only get direct from the brewery, they basically sell everything they can make straight out the back of the brewery. Great model if it works.

True - they get to pocket more of the profit that way as long as they remain in demand.
    <sig out of order>

I never had the Heady Topper. A friend of mine who lives in Vermont brought me a can of Sip of Sunshine. It was OK, but I honestly didn't see what all the fuss was about.

I agree with you about the Trillium. The did a limited run of a special IPA sold only in growlers, and it was phenomenal. I've had several others of theirs and they've all been solid to spectacular. Never had the Hill Farmstead or the Tree House.

Bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    That looks and sounds scrump-diddly-umptious! Who'da thunk an Anheuser-Busch–owned brewery would put out something so appealing to the Prog-Beer-Snobbery?
    They had to buy it and a number of others in order to have something in the bars they distribute to because otherwise local will kill them.

Breaking News!! MILLER HIGH LIFE NOW AVAILABLE IN CANADA!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

<sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Never had any of the Plinys. I think the Younger is probably Roy Moore's favorite IPA.
    I still haven't had the Younger--that's the more limited of the two and I believe is still only available on rare occasion in the taproom.

By the way--if you ever do go to the taproom, try to put yourself in a situation to load up on bottles. When I was there a couple of years ago Pliny the Elder mini-bombers (16.9 oz) were just a tick over $5 each. Actually couldn't believe it when I saw the price given all the years of beer trading and how much I've seen others dish out to get a bottle of it.

And the Elder is stunning, simply stunning, when it is fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I still haven't had the Younger--that's the more limited of the two and I believe is still only available on rare occasion in the taproom.

By the way--if you ever do go to the taproom, try to put yourself in a situation to load up on bottles. When I was there a couple of years ago Pliny the Elder mini-bombers (16.9 oz) were just a tick over $5 each. Actually couldn't believe it when I saw the price given all the years of beer trading and how much I've seen others dish out to get a bottle of it.

And the Elder is stunning, simply stunning, when it is fresh.
    Wow, that's a pretty amazing price. I don't foresee myself getting out there anytime soon, but you never know.
    <sig out of order>

Picked up a few different beers today so I'm all stocked up for the holidays:

Foley Brothers "Prospect"
    Frost Beer Works "Plush" (I really like Lush, this is supposed to be even better)
    Lawson's "Super Session" (something a little lighter so this lightweight can occasionally drink a second beer, lol)
    The Alchemist "Focal Banger"
    The Alchemist "El Jefe" (dark IPA...drinking one now...almost more like a stout than an IPA)

I must be getting old. It seemed like there was nothing but snot-nosed, entitled kids at The Alchemist today. We felt like we were the oldest people there.
    <sig out of order>

Had a couple Barleywines today. Not a favorite style of beer but I have them once in a while. The first was a '15 Barrel-Aged Bigfoot from Sierra Nevada. Well, meh. The second was an Olde School from Dogfish Head. This was much better.

Banned
    Wow this is an exemplary example of this style

I think Bell’s has done something to tweak the recipe of Winter White this year. It has been their winter staple beer for years, and I have always found it kind of middle of the road, but man this year’s batch of it is outstanding. This time of year in Kalamazoo it is on tap pretty much everywhere and I have had several this winter. Bell’s re-did the formula for their Christmas Ale this year too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Bell’s re-did the formula for their Christmas Ale this year too.
    Wasn't their Christmas Ale just a middle-of-the-road Brown Ale?

Wasn't their Christmas Ale just a middle-of-the-road Brown Ale?
    Yes, it is now a Scotch Ale.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yes, it is now a Scotch Ale.
    I wonder why they eschew the spiced Winter Ale, which has become almost a traditional style?

Banned
    I wonder why they eschew the spiced Winter Ale, which has become almost a traditional style?
    That’s fine with me, I hope O can try that Scotch Christmas Ale.

Too many mediocre spiced Winter Ales out there. I can see why they want to go their own way. Speaking of spiced ales, it's Anchor's Christmas Ale tonight.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The old version was a spiced ale, but I always found it pretty bland.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A friend of mine posted a pic of himself standing in line at the Canton Trillium yesterday. There was a rope line that looked like TSA at Logan. He said he was going to be in line for at least an hour.

(Drinking some OLD CHUB Scotch Ale from a can that I picked up at Wegman's.)