Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

  1. #1101
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    That's a rather disturbing label.
    Why because its’s only 4%😉
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

  2. #1102
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Why because its’s only 4%��
    Okay, it's even more disturbing than I first realized.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  3. #1103
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Okay, it's even more disturbing than I first realized.
    [emoji38]
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

  4. #1104
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,950
    london beer.JPG

    Was in London this weekend for a North Sea Radio Orchestra concert and sampled these with my sister on the Saturday afternoon

    Neon Raptor Endangered bourbon barrel porter 6.6%, Dark Revolution Deviant American Pale Ale 6.2%, Hammerton Life On Mars red ale 5.2%, Camden Squash spiced porter 5% , Railway Porter.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  5. #1105
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,222
    Nice.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

  6. #1106
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,442
    I entered a contest on Facebook for a trip to the Bells Brewery late this summer. About a month ago I got an email stating that I did not win the grand prize but I did win the first prize swag bag. On Black Friday the box showed up on my door. I got a Two-Hearted Ale hooded sweatshirt, a Bells brewing t-shirt, a Bells trucker hat, a sturdy metal bottle opener, a couple bumper stickers, two beer can cozies, and an Oberon Ale outdoor thermometer. I celebrated of course with a couple cans of Two-Hearted.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  7. #1107
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I entered a contest on Facebook for a trip to the Bells Brewery late this summer. About a month ago I got an email stating that I did not win the grand prize but I did win the first prize swag bag. On Black Friday the box showed up on my door. I got a Two-Hearted Ale hooded sweatshirt, a Bells brewing t-shirt, a Bells trucker hat, a sturdy metal bottle opener, a couple bumper stickers, two beer can cozies, and an Oberon Ale outdoor thermometer. I celebrated of course with a couple cans of Two-Hearted.
    Very cool! You would fit right in wearing all that stuff here in Kalamazoo! I own a lot of similar swag that I have either bought form the brewery or obtained at various local beer events over the years. I have seen the Facebook contest, and living here it seems weird to me that a grand prize would be a trip to Kalamazoo, but we do have a lot of good beer here.

  8. #1108
    So here it is, my favorite beer. I had it in Belgium two years ago when we were visiting. The hotel we were staying in had it on draft, and it was stunning. Figured I'd never find it in bottles over here, but I did. $20 for four. Pricey, but worth it. Deep rich flavor, with a hint of sweetness. I've never had anything that achieves quite this balance of factors.

    Bill

    20171130_205723.jpg

  9. #1109
    Found the photo of us drinking this in the hotel in Bruges. Good times!

    651.jpg

  10. #1110
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,950


    Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout 14.7%, super dark, heavy, chewy, malts, chocolate and bourbon. Bonkers
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  11. #1111
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout 14.7%, super dark, heavy, chewy, malts, chocolate and bourbon. Bonkers
    That looks and sounds scrump-diddly-umptious! Who'da thunk an Anheuser-Busch–owned brewery would put out something so appealing to the Prog-Beer-Snobbery?
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  12. #1112
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,218
    Just picked up a couple of Canadian Breakfast Stouts! Damn...that stuff is expensive.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  13. #1113
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Just picked up a couple of Canadian Breakfast Stouts! Damn...that stuff is expensive.
    Got two bombers of it this morning as well. Yea....not cheap.......

  14. #1114
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Got two bombers of it this morning as well. Yea....not cheap.......
    Bought some this morning also. Lines everywhere for it.

  15. #1115
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,218
    No one seemed to be aware of CBS yet at the place I went. (Luckily a coworker who is really into stouts told me about it.) They still had the bottles in the back room of the store and I had to ask for them. They mentioned someone else had grabbed 5 of them. I'm sure they'll sell them all pretty quickly, but there was nowhere near the activity they used to have on the days Sip Of Sunshine came in. Not everyone wants to pay this much for a beer I would guess.

    These days it's ridiculously easy to get SOS. I think they upped their production or maybe beer fans got restless and moved on to the many other great beers that are around these days.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  16. #1116
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Bought some this morning also. Lines everywhere for it.
    I kind of just got lucky. I work 2nd shift, so am not usually out and about very early, but I had to be in for a meeting at 7:30AM this morning, and got out just about when the beer store opened at 9:00AM. I stopped by and they had a stack of CBS right out by the counter. Did no have to stand in line, but pretty much everyone in the store was buying a bottle or two (they had a 2 bomber limit).

  17. #1117
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    No one seemed to be aware of CBS yet at the place I went. (Luckily a coworker who is really into stouts told me about it.) They still had the bottles in the back room of the store and I had to ask for them. They mentioned someone else had grabbed 5 of them. I'm sure they'll sell them all pretty quickly, but there was nowhere near the activity they used to have on the days Sip Of Sunshine came in. Not everyone wants to pay this much for a beer I would guess.

    These days it's ridiculously easy to get SOS. I think they upped their production or maybe beer fans got restless and moved on to the many other great beers that are around these days.
    It is pretty much the same way with Founder's KBS. It used to be gone in a flash, but this year they made so much of it that it was easy to get for a long time. I have even seen Bell's Black Note around in stores and that used to never happen.

  18. #1118
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have even seen Bell's Black Note around in stores and that used to never happen.
    I saw it in stores last week for the very first time. Two stores in GR had some and I bought both 4-pks.

  19. #1119
    Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    So here it is, my favorite beer. I had it in Belgium two years ago when we were visiting. The hotel we were staying in had it on draft, and it was stunning. Figured I'd never find it in bottles over here, but I did. $20 for four. Pricey, but worth it. Deep rich flavor, with a hint of sweetness. I've never had anything that achieves quite this balance of factors.

    Bill

    20171130_205723.jpg
    Well now I'll have to look for that. Many years ago I spent a few weeks in Belgium and little of it was sober. I've been a fan ever since - and Bruges is one of the most beautiful places in the world in my book.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

  20. #1120
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Well now I'll have to look for that. Many years ago I spent a few weeks in Belgium and little of it was sober. I've been a fan ever since - and Bruges is one of the most beautiful places in the world in my book.
    Couldn't agree more about Bruges, one of the nicest places we've visited. We'd heard great things about it, and it lived up to or exceeded all our expectations.

    The Kasteel is brewed to the south of Bruges and to the west of Ghent, which we also visited and was very nice.

    Bill

  21. #1121
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,676
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have even seen Bell's Black Note around in stores and that used to never happen.
    Thanks for mentioning this one, Steve. I wasn't aware of it until you did, and managed to snag the last bottle at the store I stopped in today. They had it in the office. I brought it up when the lady asked if there was anything in particular I was looking for.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  22. #1122
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this one, Steve. I wasn't aware of it until you did, and managed to snag the last bottle at the store I stopped in today. They had it in the office. I brought it up when the lady asked if there was anything in particular I was looking for.
    Cool, it is a good batch this year.

  23. #1123
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have even seen Bell's Black Note around in stores and that used to never happen.
    I'm not familiar with that. I was in a store today, middle of the afternoon on a Saturday, and there was plenty of Heady Topper and Sip Of Sunshine just sitting there. There were signs indicating a limit of three 4-packs of Heady and 2 cases of SoS. Seemed unnecessary and/or presumptuous somehow.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 12-02-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  24. #1124
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I'm not familiar with that. I was in a store today, middle of the afternoon on a Saturday, and there was plenty of Heady Topper and Sip Of Sunshine just sitting there. There were signs indicating a limit of three 4-packs of Heady and 2 cases of SoS. Seemed unnecessary and/or presumptuous somehow.
    Heady Topper is not available in Michigan at all. In fact it is considered a Holy Grail beer here. I have still never had it.

  25. #1125
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Heady Topper is not available in Michigan at all. In fact it is considered a Holy Grail beer here. I have still never had it.
    I definitely recommend trying it if you get the chance.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •