Page 42 of 131 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

If you have some time, here's a link to a lengthy DIPA tasting competition conducted by Paste Magazine. Most I haven't heard of, but I'll make mental notes to keep an eye out for some of these, although I realize most probably disappear on release. Oh, and Lou won:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...d-and.html?a=1

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Had about 4 or 5 of those, I'm of the opinion that most of these are excellent, I'll keep a watch out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've had 5 for certain, and not sure on 2 others. They are all top shelf, but there are a lot of top shelf breweries who didn't take part.

Banned
    This is one of the most flavorful Octoberfests I’ve had. This description says it all:
    Last edited by Firth; 10-08-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you have some time, here's a link to a lengthy DIPA tasting competition conducted by Paste Magazine. Most I haven't heard of, but I'll make mental notes to keep an eye out for some of these, although I realize most probably disappear on release. Oh, and Lou won:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...d-and.html?a=1

I've had five out of the 50. Great to see three of my favorites among the top 10, particularly the Foley Brothers Prospect. Surprised they didn't include Foley Brothers Fair Maiden which is sort of a knock off of Heady Topper and usually rates highly. But I prefer Prospect.
    <sig out of order>

GABF medal winners from this year's festival, for those curious...

https://www.greatamericanbeerfestiva...ition/winners/

Mikkeller (Danish brewery lead by Mikkel Bjerg have made a Twin Peaks beer with David Lynch.
    http://www.grubstreet.com/2017/10/da...aks-beers.html

His brother lives in New York and runs another brewery Evil Twin. He will probably be pissed. The twin brothers are always competing and not particularily fond of each other.

Bell's did a surprise release of Blacknote in bottles this week. I was able to snag a 4 pack this morning from the Brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Bell's did a surprise release of Blacknote in bottles this week. I was able to snag a 4 pack this morning from the Brewery.

Enjoy, Tomas!
    Thanks Mark!.

Friends,
    From today's visit to 2 local supermarkets, I bought the following brews:

- Now, for the 1st time, I´m drinking a "Samuel Adams´Oktoberfest": it's fine for me since I have no other alternative here in CR ... I guess!; here, we have only 2 seasons per year: the dry “summer” (verano) – January through April and rainy “winter” (invierno) – May through December.

- "Rebel IPA": I like this one and it's the version that I liked the most, let's hope that they stop changing the recipe(s).

Samuel Adams.jpg

Also, I bought:

IPA.jpg

Any comments?, first time too!.

Finally,
    This is a great duo IMO:
    Duo.jpg

ps.: love the color of the Oktoberfest!.

- Pura Vida!.
    Last edited by TCC; 10-12-2017 at 09:46 PM.

^ The Stone IPA is a quality beer. If your distributor can get that, they may be able to get Stone Ruination. It's better.

On Tuesday I picked up 4 packs of Founders Harvest Ale and Founders DKML, the latter of which I've never had before. Oh, and also came away with growlers of Fat Heads IBUsive, a wet hopped version this time.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Thanks Mark!.

Friends,

- Now, for the 1st time, I´m drinking a "Samuel Adams´Oktoberfest": it's fine for me since I have no other alternative here in CR ... I guess!; here, we have only 2 seasons per year: the dry “summer” (verano) – January through April and rainy “winter” (invierno) – May through December.

- "Rebel IPA": I like this one and it's the version that I liked the most, let's hope that they stop changing the recipe(s).

Samuel Adams.jpg

Also, I bought:

IPA.jpg

Any comments?, first time too!.

Finally,
    This is a great duo IMO:
    Duo.jpg

ps.: love the color of the Oktoberfest!.

- Pura Vida!.
    I like all of those. We went on a cruise a few years ago and the only IPA they had on the boat was Rebel IPA, so I drank quite a bit of it. The Sam Adams Oktoberfest is one of their better ones IMO. Pretty much everything Stone makes is good to great. Goose Island IPA has always been solid too.

On Tuesday I picked up 4 packs of Founders Harvest Ale and Founders DKML, the latter of which I've never had before. Oh, and also came away with growlers of Fat Heads IBUsive, a wet hopped version this time.
    Big fan of Founders Harvest, although I have not had any yet this year. DKML......I tried it, and it was not really my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Thanks Mark!.

Friends,

- Now, for the 1st time, I´m drinking a "Samuel Adams´Oktoberfest".
    interestingly, about 5 years ago, my wife and I gathered together as many Octos as we could and did one of our double-blind taste evaluations and the Sams won... that year
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Wednesday night I opened the Founders "Doom" I bought a few weeks ago and split it with my son. It was great, but I'm really glad I split it with him! That's a lot of flavor. It's not something I'd sit down and drink more than one of, that's for sure.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    interestingly, about 5 years ago, my wife and I gathered together as many Octos as we could and did one of our double-blind taste evaluations and the Sams won... that year
    Sam Adams often gets a bad rap, but some of their beers are actually quite good. I think their Octoberfest is one of the best ones out there. I like it better than Bell's.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Wednesday night I opened the Founders "Doom" I bought a few weeks ago and split it with my son. It was great, but I'm really glad I split it with him! That's a lot of flavor. It's not something I'd sit down and drink more than one of, that's for sure.
    Doom is some heavy stuff, but it is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    DKML......I tried it, and it was not really my thing.
    Holy booze bomb, Batman! BA & Rate Beer show this as 14%, but the writing on the label looks like it says 21%! It's very boozy, and the bourbon taste comes through. The Malt Liquor aspect is less appealing.

The IBUsive is, as you would expect, spectacular.

Holy booze bomb, Batman! BA & Rate Beer show this as 14%, but the writing on the label looks like it says 21%! It's very boozy, and the bourbon taste comes through. The Malt Liquor aspect is less appealing.

Pretty much my exact same impression. Too boozy for me. I drank a bomber of it and woke up with a headache the next morning.

Not really a style I drink often, but I had Frost Beer Works "Really Pale Ale" last night. Very enjoyable and being only 5.5% it didn't knock me on my butt. I still haven't had a single beer from this company that I didn't think was pretty awesome.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/pr...02/?ba=bkylevt
    <sig out of order>

Anything above 13-14% is typically too boozy for me.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Anything above 13-14% is typically too boozy for me.
    Unless its at ProgDay !!!!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Well the Rogue Farms Pumpkin Patch Ale has failed to materialize. I wonder if my town is going to get any bottles at all.

I went and bought another crowler of Beach Bonfire, though. Yum.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

One from my trip to Montreal, Beau's Silver Fern 6.3% Belgian Pale Ale aged in white wine barrels, tart & fruity with a beautiful wine finish.
    Ian