Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I hate pumpkin beers, my favorite seasons are probably wintet for the porters and summer for the saisons and gose, IPA's are year round beers.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I hate pumpkin beers, my favorite seasons are probably wintet for the porters and summer for the saisons and gose, IPA's are year round beers.
    Have you had Dogfish Punkin? It seems more like a Belgian than most other Pumpkin ales.
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

Never tried it, if i see it ill give it a go.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah, not Pumpkin Beer guy at all, and not a huge fan of Oktobefests et cetera. As for fave time of year, I am an all year round guy, but I suppose the best seasonals tend to show up in the Spring.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I am intolerant of pumpkin ales but even a hop junkie like me is not immune to the pleasures of a well-crafted Oktoberfest.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Try this next time you have both a pumpkin beer and an IPA..(did this the first time about 10 years ago when I lived in NY at a local pub) ..Basically do a "Black & Tan" with those 2 beers..I have been mixing different beers for a long time..Probably one of the first times when I was mixing strong Polish porters with almost equally strong Polish malt liquor...

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I don't know about y'all, but autumn brings my favorite seasonal beers.

Marzens, pumpkin ales, Oktoberfests--rich, deep, grounded flavors.

Erdinger and Hofbrau both put out excellent Okotoberfests that you should be able to find anywhere.

NoDa's Gordgeous (a suitably spicy ale) is my go to pumpkin flavored beer.

Just opened a Pumpkin Pie Porter from Deep River (out of Clayton NC) that is warming me up nicely.

New Belgium's Voodoo Ranger Atomic Pumpkin was a very pleasant surprise. An ale featuring cinnamon and habanero peppers. I only picked up a six-pack and haven't seen it since. Should've grabbed more!

Still have to get to Bell's Oktoberfest, New Ballast's Dead Ringer Oktober and Southern Tier's Cold Press Coffee Pumking all of which are sitting patiently for another chilly evening.

Yup. Good time of the year to be drinking beer (like there's a bad time).

Any of you guys have a favorite beer season? Least favorite for me is Christmas/Winter. Spicy porters and super strong Belgians seems to be the de facto Xmas flavor, and they don't do much for me (though I do like both occasionally).
    Let's not forget the wet hopped Ales that come out in the fall. Founders Harvest Ale and New Holland Hopivore are two great local versions of this style. I like some Octoberfest beers, although I think Bell's is pretty middle of the road. Pumpkin Ales are very hit and miss, although here in Michigan I really like Griffin Claw's Screaming Pumpkin. Had an Atomic Pumpkin at ProgDay and really liked it.

Banned
    my wife and I did a double-blind evaluation of all the Punkin beers we could get ahold of
    there were a few real good ones and a few real bad ones

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm not a fan of pumpkin beers, either. A couple years ago, I was at the local liquor store when they were hosting a pile of pumpkin beer brewers. I tasted one called PumpKing (Southern Tier). It tasted great in the store. I bought a large 22 oz. bottle to bring home. Opened it a couple days later and it tasted like pumpkin pie. It was awful. Dumped that baby right down the sink. If I want pumpkin pie, I'll get pumpkin pie; I won't buy beer.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

I've had that Southern Tier one in my local, will not be getting it again.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I'm not a fan of pumpkin beers, either. A couple years ago, I was at the local liquor store when they were hosting a pile of pumpkin beer brewers. I tasted one called PumpKing (Southern Tier). It tasted great in the store. I bought a large 22 oz. bottle to bring home. Opened it a couple days later and it tasted like pumpkin pie. It was awful. Dumped that baby right down the sink. If I want pumpkin pie, I'll get pumpkin pie; I won't buy beer.
    Interesting.......I quite like Pumpking and consider it one of the better ones of the style. Not something I would drink a lot of, but I usually pick up a bomber or two in the fall.

Went to a Yelp event tonight at the Unknown Brewery in Charlotte NC..Good Times..

006.jpg007.jpg032.jpg029.jpg

A Massachusetts brewer whom I've not heard of will be distributing soon in Ohio. Any word on their beers, Ian (or any other New England members?)

https://www.craftbeer.com/news/brewe...g-distribution

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Went to a Yelp event tonight at the Unknown Brewery in Charlotte NC..Good Times..

006.jpg007.jpg032.jpg029.jpg
    Big fan of the Ginger Wheat but not much else. How'd you find it?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Big fan of the Ginger Wheat but not much else. How'd you find it?
    The brewery itself has a nice vibe..Ping Pong tables, nice Hop pendant lights etc..Out of the flight nothing was bad but nothing stood out enough that I would seek it out again(the Ginger wheat being one of the tastiest)..Their flagship Over The edge IPA was actually barely average...But Yelp events are always fun and it was nice to get out of the burbs' for a few hours!

The brewery itself has a nice vibe..Ping Pong tables, nice Hop pendant lights etc..Out of the flight nothing was bad but nothing stood out enough that I would seek it out again(the Ginger wheat being one of the tastiest)..Their flagship Over The edge IPA was actually barely average...But Yelp events are always fun and it was nice to get out of the burbs' for a few hours!
    Yeah, their beers are underwhelming, and they don't do much in seasonals or special releases. If it weren't for the Ginger Wheat, I'd never get anything from them. I haven't had anything bad by them. Just nothing I'd go out of my way for.

I've been out there once, and, yeah, they've got a nice brewery. I hit up a Korean/Southern fusion place over there called (get ready for it . . . ) Seoul Food (get it???). It's pretty good and has a pretty groovy space. Worth a visit if you find yourself over there again for whatever reason.

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I'd like to taste that ginger wheat? Ginger is my favorite spice when used appropriately lile in the Ginger Porter at Progday.
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I'd like to taste that ginger wheat? Ginger is my favorite spice when used appropriately lile in the Ginger Porter at Progday.
    Yep. That'd be nice, right? But all that stuff I've said about NC's distribution laws pretty much means you'll never get an NC beer outside NC.

Wicked Weed's decision to sell to (and support) InBev didn't help. It was quite ... pernicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The best ginger beer or ale I've tasted so far was Southern Tier's imperial Ginger..

That porter looks tasty^^

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A Massachusetts brewer whom I've not heard of will be distributing soon in Ohio. Any word on their beers, Ian (or any other New England members?)

https://www.craftbeer.com/news/brewe...g-distribution
    This is Lord Hobo. I've had their products and have been to their taproom in Woburn, Mass, about 5 miles north of Boston two or three times. Two of their beers that I distinctly recall being very good are Boom Sauce and Steel This Can (nice homage to Abby Hoffman). If I'm not mistaken, most of their product line is pale ale and the varieties there in.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

^ Thanks, Lou!

Lord Hobo is pretty good, I like their stuff, I hear some criticism from Trillium and Tree House snobs, but in my opinion it's not a bad brewery at all (posted from RIO where the French beer is pretty poor)
    Ian

I've been turning bottle openers with different woods & I want to sell 'em.
    Is $40 too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    BEEEEEEEEEEER