Page 3 of 131 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The word Christmas on the label?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Spices. The beer is flavored a bit with typical mulling spices. Varying degrees of this makes it special, sometimes too much, sometimes just right, but it's usually a pretty dark beer to start with.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post

Is it just me or does everyone like hoppy hoppy beer now? Snobs would know that hops are a recent innovation, beer was brewed for thousands of years without hops and really IPAs would probably one of the few proper examples of a heavily hopped darker ale - and that was done to preserve the ale during shipping...
    I greatly favor the IPA style. Give me bitter over sweet any day. And yes, it's probably the most popular style among craft beer aficionados, but it is a dividing line. I meet plenty of people (mostly women) at beer events who do not like hoppy beer.
    Then I guess it's me that has gone tits up and not the craft brewing trend.

I do like an occasional IPA and there are surely some great ones around. I guess my issue is that for my tastes it seems that too many craft brews that I've imbibed lately are over-hopped for my taste and don't have the balance - some even brag about how they are "double" hopped or whatever and yes to each their own tastes for sure. I also agree with the abomination of flavored beers unless it is historic or subtle to give it an edge, an additional complexity or mystery. I once home brewed a stout and splashed some peppermint oil late into the mash with the idea that there would be the slightest aftertaste that would make one go "hmmmmm" that's an interesting subtlety refreshing aftertaste, what is that?" As it turned out it was overpowering and vomitorious and I ended up throwing out about forty filled and labeled bottles just before an acquaintance who tasted the sole surviving bottle said, "I really like that!".

Anyway, thanks for the insight folks.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For anyone who does not like fruit beers you should try some made by New Glarus Brewing in Wisconson. They are the kings of fruit beers and make some amazing ones.
    I have some New Glarus whenever I'm in Wisconsin, but I don't think I've had any of their fruit beers. Will keep that in mind. Geez, send me some!!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Anyone try the Guinness American Blonde lager?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yeah, I noticed a trend for "more hops, more hops!" at the grocery store. Some of the local indy breweries produce nice ales but even they lean towards hoppiness. As Polmico pointed out in another thread, lagers are becoming more rare, even at the micro level.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Now drinking a Maine Beer Co. King Titus Porter. Great stuff.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20681/85822/
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The word Christmas on the label?
    Makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Spices. The beer is flavored a bit with typical mulling spices. Varying degrees of this makes it special, sometimes too much, sometimes just right, but it's usually a pretty dark beer to start with.
    File those spices along with what often ends up in pumpkin beers...not a pleasant experience for me.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yeah, I noticed a trend for "more hops, more hops!" at the grocery store. Some of the local indy breweries produce nice ales but even they lean towards hoppiness. As Polmico pointed out in another thread, lagers are becoming more rare, even at the micro level.
    The Iron Maiden thread, I believe. I personally think the hoppy trend is reversing. Not that we will see an end to hoppy beers, but that most consumers are realizing high IBU doesn't necessarily equal superior.

What's amazing in craft brewing is the diversification that's happening. I love going to a brewery and having a choice. Wilds? Goses? Ales? Porters? Yes. All of them please. Beer is remarkably nuanced more so than any other beverage even my beloved whiskey.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The Iron Maiden thread, I believe. I personally think the hoppy trend is reversing. Not that we will see an end to hoppy beers, but that most consumers are realizing high IBU doesn't necessarily equal superior.

What's amazing in craft brewing is the diversification that's happening. I love going to a brewery and having a choice. Wilds? Goses? Ales? Porters? Yes. All of them please. Beer is remarkably nuanced more so than any other beverage even my beloved whiskey.

consumers in general didn't ever like hoppy beers. However, I predict the IPA popularity will not go back to the pre-craft beer days. I myself hated ales in general 3 years ago because they were all bitter to me. However, starting with English ESB styles, eventually I graduated to IPAs. I do like a lot of beer styles, but not bland. I did have Narragansett Lager 2 years ago which was a nice refreshing taste and it is rated very high by Beer Advocate. The dry hoppy IPAs are rare actually. A fellow from Oregon, that I met at the Seattle airport, said that authentic Czech style Pils is becoming popular. We had a brewery in Baltimore that specialized in German/Czech lager and made a Czech Pils which was very hoppy and authentic. Also on the 2015 scene is the IPL, is the hoppy lager. I love the hoppy red ales like Georgetown WA's brewery, Chopper's.
    choppers.png

I love hoppy beers. The scents, the tastes, the lingering - its a bit like chili.

Yeah have a place here in Kansas City that specializes in German beers, and they are fantastic:

http://kcbier.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I track my beerage on "Untappd". Anyone else on that phone app? If you are, send me a friend request (bob mcneice)
    I'm on Untappd. Not sure how to send friend requests, but I'll give it a try.

I only rate beers that I'm drinking on draft, whether in a pub/brewery or from my kegerator. No bottled or canned beer. My understanding is that that is the intent of the site/app. Am I correct on that?

Currently enjoying my go-to beer, Bell's tremendous Two-Hearted Ale. For a ballsy IPA it is very well balanced.

I think the IPA trend is settling down, at least for winter. Winter ales are a huge seller for most micros. Just wish I could get Anchor Steam's Christmas Ale but it just isn't available in my state. Guess I should have never left Minnesota.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Then I guess it's me that has gone tits up and not the craft brewing trend.
    Good one.

I personally think the hoppy trend is reversing. Not that we will see an end to hoppy beers, but that most consumers are realizing high IBU doesn't necessarily equal superior.
    The latest trend/hype is around sour beers. I like 'em OK, but one per session is enough for me. I think the interest in IPAs isn't waning at all. It's just human nature to seek/need "the next thing."

There's a lot of creativity out there. Not everything works, imo, but as I track my own arc, from 3.2% beer in the late 70s to now, it's absolutely stunning what has taken place. In the early 90s, I was all about English/Scottish imports, but since the mid 90s, it's been the American craft beers for me. I think the best beers in the world are being brewed now, and in this country. (Full disclosure, I'm not real big on the Belgian styles.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Currently enjoying my go-to beer, Bell's tremendous Two-Hearted Ale. For a ballsy IPA it is very well balanced.
    Still in my top 3.

At Saturday's dinner/ beer snob event our host pulled out this beautiful beer after the meal. Brewed 10 minutes from where I live:

It's an oak barrel aged scotch ale. I'm usually not a fan of scotch ales because they tend to be overly sweet but this one had a beautiful balance and superb wood finish. I need to go buy a couple of bottles so I can enjoy one now and age the other.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Heady Topper is very good but not worth the time and expense. There's a local brewery the next town over to me called Night Shift <http://www.nightshiftbrewing.com/> that makes a brew called Whirlpool that every bit as tasty as heady topper but at half the alcohol content and you don't have to wait for it.

I agree with the earlier poster who doesn't like flavored beer. Same here. It's amazing the combinations and permutations one can do with water, barely, yeast, and hops. Why adulterate it?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

A friend of mine got some Heady Topper last year and shared some with me. I thought it was excellent.

If it didn't involve 2 hours of driving I'd stand in line once or twice a year for a little HT and probably some other local beers as well. The easiest way to get it is in certain restaurants in the area. But there are so many options and things to explore out there and life is short.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have some New Glarus whenever I'm in Wisconsin, but I don't think I've had any of their fruit beers. Will keep that in mind. Geez, send me some!!
    I don’t live in Wisconsin and can’t get it here in Michigan, but my wife’s brother lives about 2 miles from the brewery so do try to visit when we are over there. If you ever get the chance try the Belgian Red Cherry beer. It is rated the top fruit beer in the world on Beer Advocate and it lives up to the hype. It is an awesome brew. They only sell it in bombers and it is not cheap, but definitely worth trying. Their Raspberry Tart, Serendipity, and Apple Ales are all excellent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

I get spoiled living in Kalamazoo as Two Hearted is literally everywhere. Every restaurant, bar, store, you name it, has it. It is second only to Oberon in popularity in Southwest Michigan. It is a great beer though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Anyone try the Guinness American Blonde lager?
    Tried it, thought it was pretty bland.

The new Guinness IPA got only a 75 on Beer Advocate - not exactly a stellar grade.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart