Page 35 of 131 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    It's a bit of a conundrum...do you stop drinking any "crafty" beer? What if you love it? What if big beer bought ALL the craft breweries? IMO, small craft brewers do not start out with the intention of staying small and would sell to the highest bidder. That's business....
    It is a conundrum. I get the arguments. Am I going to stop drinking what I think is a great beer that's now being made with the same qualty by a larger entity? Probably not. Will I consider my beer purchases in the future more carefully? Sure. Does the fact that In-Bev is trying to push maybe good beers (craft doesn't always mean good) off the shelves? Very much so. Yup, it's business.

Having a Founders (who sold a percentage) DKML, the latest addition to their Barrel Aged series. This is an Imperial Malt Liquor aged in Bourbon Barrels. I had doubts about this, thought I wouldn't like it, but it's very enjoyable. Ironic because of all the cheap crappy malt liquor I drink long ago helped me embrace the craft beer world.
    Last edited by philsunset; 07-29-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Having a Founders (who sold a percentage) DKML, the latest addition to their Barrel Aged series. This is an Imperial Malt Liquor aged in Bourbon Barrels. I had doubts about this, thought I wouldn't like it, but it's very enjoyable. Ironic because of all the cheap crappy malt liquor I drink long ago helped me embrace the craft beer world.
    I have been meaning to check this one out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    With Wicked Weed, yes I did. There is a law in NC which limits self distribution. Over 20k barrels of production and a brewery must use InBev to distribute. This law is harmful for local entrepreneurship. Wicked Weed didn't care, harming locals in the process. So yeah it does matter.
    WTF, that needs to change. Producers should be banned from owning distribution. I could understand why that a state would control alcohol distribution, however allowing only one company to distribute is outrageous.

^Yep. The law looked like it was coming off the books, but a very shady last minute deal was struck. Two local breweries, NoDa Brewing and Olde Mecklenburg, are suing the state.

I don't begrudge any brewery for making money or looking for ways to make more money. Wicked Weed ( and Goose Island and Terrapin and everyone else who has sold wholesale or part of their operations to big beer) made a choice that they thought was right for them. InBev is moving Wicked Weed's production out of Asheville. Will those NC residents find other jobs, better jobs? Who knows?

How about Olde Meck's decision not to open another production line because of the 25k barrel (misspoke earlier) limit? More lost jobs. More lost revenue.

Do these things matter to non-NC residents? Probably not.

There is, however, a national case to make for boycotting InBev. Craft Freedom lays out the case well if anyone is interested:
    http://craftfreedom.org
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^Y
    How about Olde Meck's decision not to open another production line because of the 25k barrel (misspoke earlier) limit? More lost jobs. More lost revenue.

Do these things matter to non-NC residents? Probably not.

rg[/url]
    Michigan had some pretty funky brewing laws for many years, but things have changed a lot in the last decade or so. I think Larry Bell from Bell's brewing here in Kalamazoo was a big factor in these changes. Along with changing some of the laws Larry has made moves to keep Bell's staunchly independent even though some of the mega brewries have courted them, and would have provided a huge pay day. Unfortunately several other Michigan breweries (Founders, Perrin, and most recently Shorts) have come under full or partial ownership of bigger companies.

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, out here you found Red Hook and Pete's Wicked, just as two examples--as they got bigger, and were bought, the quality took a nose dive. Anchor strikes me as maintaining their quality. But in general, I gravitate toward local, fresh products. I don't begrudge brewers from doing whatever they want, but I do appreciate brewers who "keep it real," as in local, hopefully live-culture, fresh beer. I'd love to get my hands on some of the wonderful beers I've heard about from the MidWest and East Coast...but I find that it's better to go there, and drink local, than for a company to go National, and start ramping up production, etc. With a few exceptions, maybe.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Enjoying a Surly Furious right now. Another successful micro sworn to never sell out to the bigs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I stopped by the Brew Kettle in Amherst on the way home from work, to eat supper and have a few. When I entered the IPA I'm drinking on Untappd, among the badges it opened was one for IPA Day 2017. I didn't know there was such a thing, but if it's today, all I can say is "let's get busy!"

Re Harpoon "Take 5": is this like "the beer to have when you're having more than one"?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqZDXCy_RZE
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Well, I hope Sapporo doesn't screw up the Anchor products. I like them.

Just enjoying a Triporteur Total Loss- a belgian black IPA

http://bombrewery.com/en/brews/brows...r/TOTAL%20LOSS

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Screwing with their Christmas ale would be a crime against humanity

My brother was here last weekend and dropped off twelves of Two-Hearted and Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter. A classmate of mine also left about a case of Point (from Stevens Point WI) lagers. Not bad but not strong enough for my taste. Good lawn mowing beers though.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Man, that's a shame. I don't seek out their beers and couldn't tell you the last time I had one, but they have done much for craft beer in America.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Well, Fritz Maytag actually sold Anchor a while back...around 2010 IIRC...and Sapporo has a good track record of owning craft breweries in North America. They own Sleeman which, in turn, means they own Unibroue, and I haven't heard any complaints about the quality of anything from that brewery since that sale happened about 10 years or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Well, Fritz Maytag actually sold Anchor a while back...around 2010 IIRC...and Sapporo has a good track record of owning craft breweries in North America. They own Sleeman which, in turn, means they own Unibroue, and I haven't heard any complaints about the quality of anything from that brewery since that sale happened about 10 years or so ago.
    That makes me feel better.
    I don't know about you guys, but my first eye-opening hop experience was Liberty Ale back in 19..........84?

I think Anchor Steam and Sam Adams Boston Lager were my first entries into the world beyond mass market beer, around 1990. Then we moved to Minnesota where Summit and Schell were making some noise, the former with English style brews and the later with several German brews. I haven't had either a Steam or Boston Lager in years but I'll always thank them for starting me on a wonderful journey.

Current state of the beer fridge:

p1010740.jpg

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice!

My entry into craft beers was via the English Real Ale scene with Theakstons Old Peculier.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

my first "weird beer" was prolly in 1978 when I got hooked on Spaten Doppelspaten "the Optimator". Jamaica's Dragon Stout was another fav back in the day

I didn't explore the US craft beer market until 2005 when I first had the Reaper Mortality Stout (sadly defunct) and some other Cali ales
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Had one of theese Urhel Hop-it. Nice but somewhat too mild for me.

https://www.urthel.com/en/hop-it.htm

Prefer this belgian IPA: https://www.belgianbeerfactory.com/e...-ipa-33cl.html

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice!

My entry into craft beers was via the English Real Ale scene with Theakstons Old Peculier.
    My friends all drank the commercial swill in High School; I'd show up with Guinness EXStout in six pack bottles. We also drank a fair amount of Molsons products, Moosehead, Becks, etc. I think it was 1983 or 1984 when I first had OP, but it was an eye-opener.....from there to Watney's and Whitbread, and any English ales, porters or stouts I could get my hands on....Sam Smith's, etc.

But actual American "craft" was Anchor Steam and esp. Liberty Ale.

My entry into the craft beer world (other than my own homebrew hooch) was a Sammy Boston Lager. It's pretty tame now, but back then, wow, it was a real tastebud opener.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

My earliest entry was Molson/Moosehead around 1978..WOW ! , back in the day..My first hop experience was Ballantine India Pale Ale, probably just a little later ...My first "Hoppy Beer" (at the time, and now would never seek it out but not turn one down!) was a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the early 80's...fast forward 35 years and I am a serious Hop Head, but also have a taste for Stouts / Barley Wines and most other Strong Ales...

But the real reason I am here today..I will be attending PROGDAY next month(My 2nd in as many years..I am not a stranger to Prog, I have 8 NF 's & 8 RF's under my belt, 1st concert ever was YES at MSG 1979..You don't know me but have probably seen me and me you as well many times!!)..I am a native of NY, but reside in NC since 2014..For years, I always picked up a few bottles of Dogfish 120 Minute IPA, usually saving them for NYE celebrating..But alas, they are not available here in the Tarheel state..If anyone attending PROGDAY who would be able to purchase 2 for me (or have in your beer cave) I will pay your purchase price plus either bring you an equivalent $ value local beer to my area(Charlotte/Lake Norman ) or anything in similar value.. This is a serious request...Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by beano; 08-10-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    My earliest entry was Molson/Moosehead around 1978..WOW ! , back in the day..My first hop experience was Ballantine India Pale Ale, probably just a little later ...My first "Hoppy Beer" (at the time, and now would never seek it out but not turn one down!) was a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the early 80's...fast forward 35 years and I am a serious Hop Head, but also have a taste for Stouts / Barley Wines and most other Strong Ales...

But the real reason I am here today..I will be attending PROGDAY next month(My 2nd in as many years..I am not a stranger to Prog, I have 8 NF 's & 8 RF's under my belt, 1st concert ever was YES at MSG 1979..You don't know me but have probably seen me and me you as well many times!!)..I am a native of NY, but reside in NC since 2014..For years, I always picked up a few bottles of Dogfish 120 Minute IPA, usually saving them for NYE celebrating..But alas, they are not available here in the Tarheel state..If anyone attending PROGDAY who would be able to purchase 2 for me (or have in your beer cave) I will pay your purchase price plus either bring you an equivalent $ value local beer to my area(Charlotte/Lake Norman ) or anything in similar value.. This is a serious request...Thanks in advance!!
    I can do that. I plan on bringing a couple with me to ProgDay for my own consumption. So a couple more is fine. Happy to trade or sell 2.