Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The overly hopped beers are starting to take a back seat, at least here in Québec. Last summer saw many brewers making session beers. Sure some were hoppy, but they weren't these 9% / 100+ IBU beers we were seeing a few years ago. I like a good IPA myself, but I also like to venture in the Imperial Stouts. As with anything else in life I'm about exploring the extremes. What I don't like are wheat beers and reds. I am also not a fan of watery beers and rarely buy any that aren't at least at 6.5%.
    Over hopping is diminishing here, too.

That's another hooray!

I had a blonde habanero and a very delicious red today at the brewery. What the heck am I drinking now?

Ah. Catawba Winter Ale. That'll do.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Great, now I have to get used to Tapatalk!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Their IPA is delicious[emoji39]

Great menu to at this brewery restaurant near the Verizon Center in DC.
    Mmm... Chops...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    But it's no different than music - if people like that stuff who am I to tell 'em they're wrong?
    Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    But really, what IS Hops?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Flavored beers are abomination?

Maybe you haven't had good ones?

A growler of imperial pumpkin (no clove flavoring! Hooray!) from NoDa Brewing is in the fridge as we speak.

I don't lie, gents. I'm an honest guy. This is the best pumpkin beer in the world. God's truth.
    Goddamnit, I believe you!

My holiday stockpile has begun. I'll start cracking these open on Christmas eve. That Unibroue is going to punch me in the face - in a good way!

beers.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    aviary_1450567735699.jpg

Henniker Working Man's Porter
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    For me flavored beers are usually an abomination and I wonder why people want beers that don't taste like beer.

But it's no different than music - if people like that stuff who am I to tell 'em they're wrong?
    Were I to name a beer "abomination" I'd probably reserve that for beer whose main advertised attribute is COLD, as though they had a monopoly on refrigeration, or they're sold in 30 packs and have a wider opening on the cans so you can get it down your neck faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Were I to name a beer "abomination" I'd probably reserve that for beer whose main advertised attribute is COLD, as though they had a monopoly on refrigeration
    LOL! So true.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Partial to stouts and porters and strong beers (8% and greater) myself, though I'll never turn my nose up at a bourbon barrel aged offering.

Phoenix has many beer events throughout the year, this is one that I've attempted to attend since 2011 (Murphy's Law prevails )...

http://arizonabeerweek.com/arizona-s...tival/#brewers
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 12-19-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Love this stuff. It's a good thing it's not cheap, or I'd be in trouble.

I really don't drink that much, but when I do, it's this:

Mixed with a little of this:

Or a little of this:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Subscribed
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A growler of imperial pumpkin (no clove flavoring! Hooray!) from NoDa Brewing is in the fridge as we speak.

I don't lie, gents. I'm an honest guy. This is the best pumpkin beer in the world. God's truth.

I've had okay fruit flavored beers, but I dislike all things pumpkin, not just beer.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Love this stuff. It's a good thing it's not cheap, or I'd be in trouble.
    This one is also a favorite here - definetely my wifes !
    They make another one , same taste just slightly weaker - never understood why.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/71973/

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    over hopped
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The overly hopped beers
    I might point out that "Over Hopped" is a subjective term. I've only ever had one that was over hopped, and it was intentionally so. Right after LeBron James's decision to take his talents to South Beach, Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland made a beer called Quitness, which was intentionally made to be as bitter as they could make it. They made 2 batches, and served it on tap in their brew pub, though I see that they have changed the name and are still occasionally brewing it. I wonder if the current version is as hoppy, because the original was extremely hop bitter. "Aggressively hopped" in beer geek speak.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/great-l...itness/126361/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Great, now I have to get used to Tapatalk!

Cheers!

That Mikkeller Santa's Little Helper was delicious! A 10.9% ABV Belgian Strong Ale from Denmark (?) a random purchase but the guy at the store said it was good. One of those ones that tastes like chocolate and cigars.

My wife is not a beer snob, though she enjoys beer. But she likes Amstel Light best. I know, right? She did like this Stone Enjoy Before 12/25/15, which was also very good - very fragrant and fresh.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-20-2015 at 08:49 AM.

BTW, this off on a tangent, but at work Friday we had a Christmas grab bag thing, and I got a bottle of Serbian Slivovitz. Great stuff, any of you tried it? My uncle always used to have it in the house and would let me try a bit as a kid. Very astringent.

Any of you guys ever had my all time favourite brew? I haven't seen it around this year, to my sorrow. I'm craving one or eighteen!

http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/stormking/

These are the beers I've had around this weekend:

Otter Creek Backseat Berner - Otter Creek is pretty ubiquitous here in VT, and I used to drink some of their beers until I started getting into IPAs. They finally starting making this IPA and it's a pretty good one. I also like their Over Easy when I'd like to be able to drink more than a couple beers!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/119/162323/

Sixpoint Brewery Resin - probably not very hard to find or anything, but hadn't had any of this in quite a while. Still love this beer.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10607/77299/

Finch's Beer Co. Hardcore Chimera - never saw this before a few days ago. Didn't know what to think at first, but it definitely grew on me. These days I'm such a lightweight...one of these and I'm good.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25370/131188/

I had only just heard about this beer a little over a week ago from a coworker that spends a lot of time in Maine on the weekends. He was planning to find a couple of bottles of this to bring back for me. After watching the new Star Wars Friday night my brother and I went to get a beer across the street and they had this on tap. I had "Lunch" and he had a breakfast stout, lol. A very nice IPA, but it didn't knock my socks off or anything.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20681/68916/
    <sig out of order>

For anyone who does not like fruit beers you should try some made by New Glarus Brewing in Wisconson. They are the kings of fruit beers and make some amazing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My wife is not a beer snob, though she enjoys beer. But she likes Amstel Light best. I know, right? She did like this Stone Enjoy Before 12/25/15, which was also very good - very fragrant and fresh.
    I picked up some of the Stone Enjoy By last week and it was excellent.

I track my beerage on "Untappd". Anyone else on that phone app? If you are, send me a friend request (bob mcneice)

Generally I'm into the heavier beers, like stouts and porters, but also a bit of IPA's and other pale ale's when I drink. It's a perfect time of year to try some good Christmas brews too.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bob, just sent you a request, I'm Ian Carss
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What makes a beer a "Christmas" beer?
    <sig out of order>