Page 29 of 131 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

One night I drive down to Toledo because Busch beer was available there, but not in Michigan. Long ago, desperate times.

You did what you had to do, Bob.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Laura Bell is taking over at Bell's and declares they have no intention of selling out. "That's not even a conversation". That's all I need to hear.

http://revuewm.com/food-drink/microb...bell-s-brewery
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Laura Bell is taking over at Bell's and declares they have no intention of selling out. "That's not even a conversation". That's all I need to hear.

Interesting interview thanks for posting. Since I live in Kalamazoo, and Bell’s has become such a big employer (as has craft beer in general here), this news has come as no surprise as Laura has been essentially running the company for a while now. A few years ago Larry bought back a bunch of stock from most of the original investors. From what I have heard, several of them were looking to sell out to a major in order cash a huge payday (Inbev was the rumored suitor). Bell basically was able to take back complete control of the stock in order to keep the company independent. Bell’s is now the 7th largest brewery in the U.S. in terms of sales volume, so they have become pretty big dogs in the game. Their relatively new brewery in Comstock MI is quite large and covers almost a quarter mile of space. The original brewery in downtown Kalamazoo still brews small batch stuff.

In the last several years several southwest Michigan breweries have succumbed to takeover / mergers. Some of the better known ones are Founders (now partially owned by Mahou San Miguel out of Spain), Perrin (now owned by Oskar Blues) and New Holland (distribution partner with Pabst).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In light of Wicked Weed's purchase, this is heartening (and I'm no Bell's devotee--Oarsmen is indeed the go to, though).

If you're curious to how destructive InBev is, and why I'm willing to never sip another Wicked Weed beer (anyone want a nice WW green zip hoodie?), Google "North Carolina craft beer distribution" and see the shady NC politics in action--I mean besides our racist gerrymandering and politicized homophobia.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    In light of Wicked Weed's purchase, this is heartening (and I'm no Bell's devotee--Oarsmen is indeed the go to, though).
    a.
    Interesting.......Oarsmen is probably my least favorite Bell's beer. Never been a fan of it at all.

I view Oarsman and Oberon as lawnmower beers, adequate for pounding down a few after working outside or just being in the sun. Just enough taste/kick to let you know it's real beer but nothing complex.

These days when I spend a few hours mowing lawn and trimming hedges, etc I usually pound down lemonade when I'm done. Then I'll have beer when I've rehydrated and recovered. Damn I'm old.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I view Oarsman and Oberon as lawnmower beers, adequate for pounding down a few after working outside or just being in the sun. Just enough taste/kick to let you know it's real beer but nothing complex.

These days when I spend a few hours mowing lawn and trimming hedges, etc I usually pound down lemonade when I'm done. Then I'll have beer when I've rehydrated and recovered. Damn I'm old.
    For Bell's Lawnmower beers I'll take Oberon, Lager Of The Lakes, Poolside, Oatsmobile, 3rd Coast Beer, Big Poarch, all over Oarsman. Just something about it hit my taste buds wrong for some reason.

Two beers I've been having this weekend are Founders Doom (very good but not up to the hype) and Central Waters Barleywine Ale (really really digging this one. Recommended).

No posts in weeks. I guess there are those who are drinking Bud Light........and are very very embarrassed..

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I bought some Columbus Bodhi and Platform Elevated Hop Ramble today, and also managed to snag 2 bottles of Founders Doom.

Very excited about the Jester King farmhouse altbier with smoked malt that I picked up today. We don't often get much JK here in NC. Nice surprise at the local shop.

Had an excellent kvass from the new brewery that opened above said shop today, too.

Been enjoying a few radlers since.

It's a good time to like beer.

I had a nice Hopgoblin IPA at Riff Raff Brewing Co. in Pagosa Springs, CO last night. Good stuff! Or I was very thirsty after a long day of driving.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have not had this yet from Night Shift. Must rectify that this week. Thanks for the heads-up, Ian.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I had a nice Hopgoblin IPA at Riff Raff Brewing Co. in Pagosa Springs, CO last night. Good stuff! Or I was very thirsty after a long day of driving.
    I had one of those at the Denver airport after walking a ways to get to the tap room. It was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I had one of those at the Denver airport after walking a ways to get to the tap room. It was quite good.
    Good to know I wasn't dreaming. I've been drinking beer less often lately. So when I do have a beer it's like a person being handed a glass of water after wandering for days in the desert.
    <sig out of order>

Recently enjoyed Bells Mars (very good but not worth $17.99 a sixer) Great Lakes Hop Madness, Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum ( GREAT! a steal at $11.99 a sixer)...For Fathers day had a Stone Enjoy by 07-04-17, Also GREAT!(a sixer of cans)..On my "regulars" and "OK honey , you can have one of these" shelf at the moment are Founder's All Day IPA/PC Pils, Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Cigar City Jai Lai ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Good to know I wasn't dreaming. I've been drinking beer less often lately. So when I do have a beer it's like a person being handed a glass of water after wandering for days in the desert.
    I actually had a sampler and the Hopgoblin was my favorite.

New list of favorite brews and breweries by the Homebrewers Association.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.o...erica-results/

I just was in the Twin Cities and picked up a number of beers. I'll compile a list on the blog soon and post it. Gonna be a tasty summer.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Recently enjoyed Bells Mars (very good but not worth $17.99 a sixer) Great Lakes Hop Madness, Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum ( GREAT! a steal at $11.99 a sixer)...For Fathers day had a Stone Enjoy by 07-04-17, Also GREAT!(a sixer of cans)..On my "regulars" and "OK honey , you can have one of these" shelf at the moment are Founder's All Day IPA/PC Pils, Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Cigar City Jai Lai ...
    I love Mars, but yea that price is pretty steep. I could get it quite a bit cheaper around here (not sure if it is still available though). Founders All Day is my go to everyday beer. At 4.8% alcohol, you can session drink, but still have the taste of a good IPA. Big fan of Jai Lai too. I always get some of that when in Florida, but not available here in Michigan.

Had this since 2003. The Queens Jubilee Ale, it was also my 50th art school reunion gift.

Jubilee Ale.jpg
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

There's a messload of IPAs on that list.

4 of the top 6 beers---from Michigan
    The top 2 breweries--from Michigan

Michigan--- THE great beer state!!