Page 27 of 131 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Yeah, I've had the Trooper. Thought it was OK, a bit too much caramel.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    No doubt!

I have a question maybe someone here can answer. A coworker mentioned the other day that he finally had a chance to try an "unskunked" bottle/can of a certain beer. The idea is that, the other time he tried it, it was a container that had been allowed to warm up to room temperature and therefore didn't taste right. I've heard others mention they can tell when certain beers have been allowed to warm up at some point.

Is this a real thing? Does it only apply to certain styles? I was in a large beverage store the other day and their huge wall of "make your own 6-pack" was not refrigerated, so....?
    If I remember my research... Lagers tend to be much more fragile than Ales, hence the tendency for Heineken and Moosehead to go "skunk"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It is World Class. However, imo an IPA should be hop forward.
    hmm... I think all this "hop madness" is a pissing contest. 'Who can make the most bitter beer' and 'who can drink the most bitter beer'
    I prefer to savor the nuanced depth of beers which are not just strangling my palette with hop flavor and little else
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    hmm... I think all this "hop madness" is a pissing contest. 'Who can make the most bitter beer' and 'who can drink the most bitter beer'
    I prefer to savor the nuanced depth of beers which are not just strangling my palette with hop flavor and little else
    Seconded.

Thanks for the info, guys. I was thinking it was odd that there seems to be such a contrast between all those beers being stored on shelves at room temperature and some of the beers I buy where we're literally lining up to buy them cold pretty much as they're delivered or where they may have been placed in the cooler just moments before I showed up. But since I'm generally buying IPAs maybe they're seen as more sensitive to warming.

I tried a sip of a Lost Nation Gose last night that I really liked. I am going to get a couple and see what I think after drinking a couple. The drummer I play with loves all types of sour beers.
    <sig out of order>

I'm sure there's always going to be a certain segment of people that will make a contest out of something. As brewers, I can see them wanting to make a more bitter beer since it could get them noticed due to some sort of novelty factor.

For myself, I genuinely enjoy some very bitter beers, but it can't be all about that. The best ones (IMO) offset or compliment that with other aspects. And the beer I like today won't be the one that knocks my socks off every day.

When I started liking beer (it took until my mid-20s) it was very mundane stuff (watered down American crap...which may be why I didn't like beer, lol). Then I found Guinness, various other stouts (which sometimes were just too much flavor for me), and browns. I tried some IPAs and couldn't fathom why anyone would want to drink that stuff, lol.

Now I find it hard to break out of the IPA cul-de-sac. Most other beers seem weird or unsatisfying. It's probably just a matter of time and my tastes will change.
    <sig out of order>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    There is certainly something to that. I was at the the Extreme Beer Festival in Boston this year and Dogfish Head had a beer called Hoo Lawd that clocked in at 658 IBU, for comparison Two Hearted is 55. The Hoo Lawd was absolutely undrinkable and really was just an exercise in extremes. Trillium don't typically even publish IBU's. I do like hop forward beers but I like a more balanced approach. Hoppiness for hoppiness' sake just doesn't taste all that good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    There is certainly something to that. I was at the the Extreme Beer Festival in Boston this year and Dogfish Head had a beer called Hoo Lawd that clocked in at 658 IBU, for comparison Two Hearted is 55. The Hoo Lawd was absolutely undrinkable and really was just an exercise in extremes. Trillium don't typically even publish IBU's. I do like hop forward beers but I like a more balanced approach. Hoppiness for hoppiness' sake just doesn't taste all that good.

That's insanely high! I had a beer that was 145 IBU and I thought it was really good, but still not something I'd drink often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    If I remember my research... Lagers tend to be much more fragile than Ales, hence the tendency for Heineken and Moosehead to go "skunk"
    Well, yeh and especially IPAs which were designed to have longer life with more hops.

Well yeah, an IPA, is an Indian Pale Ale and was designed to be able to be shipped from Britain to India in the 18th century. Porters were similarly capable of surviving the journey intact.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Well yeah, an IPA, is an Indian Pale Ale and was designed to be able to be shipped from Britain to India in the 18th century. Porters were similarly capable of surviving the journey intact.
    precisely!

that is why a good IPA will last a long time in one's "beer cellar"

(my "beer cellar" is the floor of my pantry )

My beer cellar rarely lasts 2 weeks.
    Ian

Banned
    Tonite's selection in TCU country, at the Woodshed.

IMG_1493072180856.jpg
    Tonight's rather excellent Trillium DDH Summer St
    Ian

Banned
    Tonight's rather excellent Trillium DDH Summer St
    Nice, cloudier than mine. I'm drinking an Odell's APA. Odell's is one of the best dry hopped Pale Ales I've had.

New England IPA 's are typically cloudy, nice and juicy.
    Ian

Banned
    That Odell APA was cloudy, just not as cloudy as that DD IPA.

Having a home in upstate NY ---IPA's everywhere---Kingston area has some great ones---but I'm not a Beer Snob but I am a prog snob.

Banned
    94% dark stong Belgian ale. Quite nice. Did the trick for me tonight.

IMG_0008.JPG

When you buy Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale you also help to support the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz whose mission is to offer the world’s most promising young musicians college level training by America’s jazz masters and to present public school-based jazz education programs for young people around the world. All of these programs are offered free of charge to the students and schools.

Banned
    Amen. I prefer a malty strong ale but I can go to the local brew pub that has 50 beers on tap and I'll be lucky to find a single dark ale that isn't over hopped excepting IPAs. Looks like others may be having the same frustration I am. Still the beer is leagues better than when I was a kid.

That is correct, Ian. Night Shift in Everett, MA (town next to mine), brews a very cloudy pale ale called Whirlpool. A bit lower in alcohol than the usual IPA and very "juicy." Nice citrus pineapple flavor without being cloying. Can drink several in a row without getting tired of it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    That is correct, Ian. Night Shift in Everett, MA (town next to mine), brews a very cloudy pale ale called Whirlpool. A bit lower in alcohol than the usual IPA and very "juicy." Nice citrus pineapple flavor without being cloying. Can drink several in a row without getting tired of it.
    I had a Night Shift Whirlpool last night, very nice, Night Shift is one of my favorite local brewers.
    Ian

Wicked Weed has been bought by Anheuser Busch!
    https://www.brewbound.com/news/anheu...d-weed-brewing

Probably good news for y'all.

But this one does not sit well with me. Jester King (the great Austin farm brewery) has publically pulled out of collaboration with WW, and at least one local water hole is pulling their beer ( they serve local only).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I had a pint of Second Fiddle made by Fiddlehead Brewing Company yesterday. Good beer and pretty close to a Lawson's Sip Of Sunshine.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27919/127652/

Another one that I thought was fantastic was Some Double IPA made by Frost Beer Works. They make a bunch of different IPAs that come in 22oz. bottles for $6-7 - West Coast IPA, Another Double IPA, Lush...the list goes on.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39297/
    <sig out of order>

I picked up 2 four packs of Founders KBS this evening. No way to sensibly justify the purchase, but I hope it's as good as advertised.