Page 24 of 131 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Sounds fun.

There is the KBS release party at Founders Saturday March 11th. KBS on tap all day. Probably a few different vintages will be poured.
    Yes, that should be a good time. We are going to be out of town unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    That Blue Chip Festival looks VERY interesting with those vintage Dogfish Head brews!
    We have never been to it before, so thought we would check it out this year.

I'm drinking Surly's Todd the Axe Man IPA this late afternoon and jeez, it's just kicking my ass. This beer is pure metal.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/138735/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm drinking a Joe's Pale Ale right now. It's cheap, and gets the job done.

Burp.......
    E-A-T

I'm a beer snob...

but really only for Stouts and Porters

the rest are for mama's boys
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Just finished a large project so it's a Founder's Centennial IPA. Guess that makes me a weenie.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Recently got a box from a friend in NYC

Other Half - Green Diamond DIPA
    Other Half - Short Dark & Handsome Stout
    Other Half - Mosaic + Motueka DIPA
    Other Half - Broccoli DIPA
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just finished a large project so it's a Founder's Centennial IPA. Guess that makes me a weenie.
    Nothing wrong with Founder's Centennial. It is basically their answer to Bell's Two Hearted here in Southwest Michigan. Not quite a on the same level, but still a solid IPA.

mama's boy!

get it right!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Nothing wrong with Founder's Centennial. It is basically their answer to Bell's Two Hearted here in Southwest Michigan. Not quite a on the same level, but still a solid IPA.
    ok... I stand corrected. Bell's Two Hearted is NOT for mama's boys... that stuff is actually GREAT

Two-Hearted is my go-to brew but getting it with decent brewed-on dates is getting harder now that the economy around here tanked. There's just no way I'm buying a non-pasteurized beer in late February that was brewed in early November. It's getting frustrating.

Had a Fat Head's Hop Ju Ju DIPA tonight, very good.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Two-Hearted is my go-to brew but getting it with decent brewed-on dates is getting harder now that the economy around here tanked. There's just no way I'm buying a non-pasteurized beer in late February that was brewed in early November. It's getting frustrating.
    That sucks. As I have mentioned before Two Hearted is literally everywhere here and always fresh. I am spoiled.......

I have had 'turned' beer

BUT in my long experience, the best brews actually get better with age. I have opened beers that have been in my 'cellar' for a couple years and they have been awesome... only the brews of lesser quality 'turn'

I would not be surprised if I opened a Two Hearted that was 2 years old and found it to be very enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Had a Fat Head's Hop Ju Ju DIPA tonight, very good.
    I picked up 2 cases at the release a few weeks ago, and chatted with some guys from Chicago and Dayton while standing in the rather long line. Imo, this year's batch is the best I've had.

Oh, and anyone who says that IPAs are for lightweights has no idea what they're talking about. Turn in the Beer Snob card immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I have had 'turned' beer

BUT in my long experience, the best brews actually get better with age. I have opened beers that have been in my 'cellar' for a couple years and they have been awesome... only the brews of lesser quality 'turn'

I would not be surprised if I opened a Two Hearted that was 2 years old and found it to be very enjoyable
    Depends on the beer. Most beers are better fresh, although some darker styles can age well. From my experience with IPA's, the fresher the better. I can't imagine that a 2 year old Two Hearted would be better than a fresh one.

Barleywines are definitely better aged, I have one from 2008 I'm thinking of opening this year.
    Ian

Barleywines are definitely better aged, I have one from 2008 I'm thinking of opening this year.
    Not really a fan of the style myself, but yes Barleywines are one that ages well.

Most non-pasteurized beers, unless they're imperial stouts or barley wines, go bad around 5-6 months. Really bad.

Anchor Steam's holiday ale ages extremely well. A friend of mine retrieved one from the back of his parents fridge and split it with me. It was about four years old. It was incredible. I opened a five-year-old bottle of Surly Darkness this fall, an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels. Ye gods, the complexity of the flavors was astounding.

Recently got a box from a friend in NYC

Other Half - Green Diamond DIPA
    Other Half - Short Dark & Handsome Stout
    Other Half - Mosaic + Motueka DIPA
    Other Half - Broccoli DIPA
    I am positive that was all delicious...and FRESH! Here in Berkeley I've discovered Fieldwork Brewing....some great, very fresh beers. Lots of styles. Big growler cans!
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

An excellent beer for aging is Trappistes Rochefort 10. I had one with a few years on it that was deelicious!

As has been stated, the best beer styles for aging are Stouts, porters, Old Ales, and Barleywines. IPAs, Pale Ales, Lagers, ESBs, etc are best fresh. They still retain some of their flavor profile when aged, but are nowhere near as good. I have a saying about aging those type of beers: "Everything goes towards a barleywine" (after enough time goes by.) That's because the alcohol builds. One that does age well, however, is Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. That's a nuclear bomb when it's fresh. Aging it weaponizes it further.

My favorite beer to age is Victory V12. It's a Belgian style, (which usually aren't really my thing,) and I'm not overly fond of it when it's fresh, but cellar it for 6-8 months and yeah, it tastes great, and that 12% ABV is even higher.

Fast forward to about 3:40 for commentary about aging this IPA:

<sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Fast forward to about 3:40 for commentary about aging this IPA
    that's what I said

any good beer never goes bad

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that's what I said

any good beer never goes bad
    I get what the guy in the video is saying, but for my personal taste old IPA's generally don't do it for me. The taste definitely changes and not for the better, at least for my pallet.