Page 22 of 131 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Not in my vocabulary.

Seriously though, I think 120 is so well crafted that, while being very hoppy, it still works better than most attempts at an extreme IPA. Comparing it to a typical DIPA isn't suitable, in my book, as this beer pushes the envelope more than most of those efforts.

I think all craft beer fans should try letting one age for about a year or so. I've found extraordinary notes of oak within the slightly muted hop profile at that stage.
    I agree with all of this. The only brew that I've had that was somewhat similar to 120 Minute is the Weyerbacher Triple IPA, Eleven. Both of these age well and the alcohol builds, as well as the flavor. A "one per night" beer.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    For daily consumption I agree with you. Oracle or Double Crooked Tree are the best. But once in a while or special occasions it's 120. We're talking 18% here.
    Good point, I totally forgot about the alcohol content. I will say this, I like it a lot better than Founders Triple IPA Devil Dancer which has never done that much for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Supposed Best Bars list. Doesn't it seem strange that pretty much all are in major cities?
    I know NYC has a lot of good bars, and London, etc. I'm sure, but I'll bet, say, Madison, WI has a really good one.
    Nick's on State Street used to be a lot of fun - great juke box, and great pie too!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/06/foodan...est-bars-2016/

Quiet here lately. It's November and am now having my first Founders Backwoods Bastard of the season. This could possibly be my favorite beer from Founders (other than CBS ) Good flavors of smoky oak bourbon barrel, caramel. This is an excellent beer. Glad it's back.

Nøgne Ø # 100 (Batch 100)

A Dark IPA I can recommend. Its not very hoppy, and some may consider it a kind of Barley Wine

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/nogne-o...ch-100/41915/#

Quiet here lately. It's November and am now having my first Founders Backwoods Bastard of the season. This could possibly be my favorite beer from Founders (other than CBS ) Good flavors of smoky oak bourbon barrel, caramel. This is an excellent beer. Glad it's back.
    I am not a huge fan of Scotch Ale, but Dirty Bastard is one that I do drink on occasion. The same can be said for Backwoods Bastard. I like on once in a while, but much prefer KBS or CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am not a huge fan of Scotch Ale, but Dirty Bastard is one that I do drink on occasion. The same can be said for Backwoods Bastard. I like on once in a while, but much prefer KBS or CBS.
    I like Backwoods November-December. Another is Thirsty Dog Wulver. Stout is my preference. What absolutely sucks, and is an insult, is the hardship of finding KBS in SE Mich. Founders should be ashamed. Bend over for a bottle.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Having an Evil Twin - Even More Jesus, Imperial Stout, 12%, heavy dark, chewy and delightful

EMJ.jpg
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Speaking of Scottish Ales, Ballast Point Pumpkin Down is the best pumpkin ale I've ever had, and a fine Scottish ale at that:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/104076/

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Having an Evil Twin - Even More Jesus, Imperial Stout, 12%, heavy dark, chewy and delightful

EMJ.jpg
    Trivia:The brewer Jeppe Jarnit-Bjergsø is Danish, and Mikkel Borg Bjergsø's twin brother. Mikkel Borg Bjergsø is the main force in Mikkeller, but the two dont get along, so Jeppe moved to New York.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/ma...wing.html?_r=0

I like Backwoods November-December. Another is Thirsty Dog Wulver. Stout is my preference. What absolutely sucks, and is an insult, is the hardship of finding KBS in SE Mich. Founders should be ashamed. Bend over for a bottle.
    Other than one glass that I had at the actual brewery I could not get any this year either on the west side of the state.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    trillium.jpg

My 15th different Trillium beer, Upper Case 9% DIPA, superb as usual.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've been out of beer for a few weeks (except for a few 750s I'm letting age). A cash flow problem and there are other pressing priorities. But I'll be flush again in another week or two when a contract pays off. Just in time for the winter ales. Oh, there shall be beer then. Enough fucking beer to see me through to New Years at least.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Visiting the Dogfish Head Brewery and having a World Wide Stout. Things could be much, much worse.

I gotcher beer snob right heeya...........buuuuuuuurp. ...

Things could be much, much worse.
    They are, Bob. I had another attack of gout last month. The doctor told me I've got to cut out three things: organ meats (no problem there as I don't have them, ever), shrimp (not a problem, either), and beer (oh, the humanity).
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

^^^Ouch!! Sorry to hear this Lou. As painful as cutting out beer is, following the doc's orders is the best course. Hopefully in a while you'll be able to imbibe again. Maybe you shouldn't be reading this thread right now. Haha. Feel better.

Got the smallest of my contract checks today. Because I live way out in west Bumfuck, the liquor store had no winter ales in stock. But I did score three staples: Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Surly Furious, and Bell's Two-Hearted IPA. Drinking the Bells right now in my Bells pint glass. Sweet nectar of the gods.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here's one I haven't had until today! Not bad. Not too hoppy, good flavor.
    Washington is a great place for beer.

I'm just back from a few days in Brussels & Antwerp, & am happy to have been introduced to some wonderful new beers.

Over the last 6 months, I have discovered Flanders red (& old brown) beers - sour on the nose & initial taste, often apparently vinegary, they open out into richly fruit flavoured tastes (dark cherry, sour plum) which are underpinned by flavours taken on from the wooden casks in which they're aged. These are wonderfully complex, vibrant, beautifully balanced creations - & unlike anything I've ever tasted before.

Thanks to the brilliant bar staff at Delirium, I have now discovered some new additions to supplement those that my local supplier imports!

It's been 5 months since I bought 3 cases of Heady Topper. Just getting into the third case tonight. I like it a lot, but it's not something I drink all the time. Gotta mix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    <sig out of order>

Shared two Tsjeeses Reserva (Belgian X-mas ale, 10%) with the wife yesterday, the one aged on Port barrels, the other on Bourbon barrels
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/struise...bourbon/86177/
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/struise...--port/183904/

Good beer, especially the Bourbon barrel aged, but a bit too sweet and too little hopped for my taste.
    But what can you expect from a Belgian X-mas beer. Wife loved them both.

Fat Head's continues to shake up the Portland, Oregon market:

http://www.wweek.com/bars/2016/11/08...-its-own-game/