Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

  1. #376
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    A beer I've really been enjoying lately is Founders Sumatra Mountain. The coffee flavor is excellent.
    Had that for the first time at the America On Tap Beer Festival here in Kalamazoo today. I am not a huge coffee fan, so it was a bit too coffee flavored for me, but it is very good for it's style.

  2. #377
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,155

    The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

    Saw a tropical version of Flying Dog's Raging Bitch, called Tropical Bitch.
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

  3. #378
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,235

    The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

    Happy Memorial Day!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-29-2016 at 06:45 PM.

  4. #379
    My after dinner beer tonight is a Bell's Black Note. It's a real treat. And Happy Holiday to you fellow Prog Beer Snobs.

  5. #380
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    My after dinner beer tonight is a Bell's Black Note. It's a real treat. And Happy Holiday to you fellow Prog Beer Snobs.
    Holy shit, where did you find Black Note? They have not released any in quite a while. I had some at a beer dinner Bell's hosted a year or so ago, and have not seen in bottles in about 2 years. Truly a nectar of the gods.

  6. #381
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,614
    I picked up a 6 of Hopsoulution IPA today. I've never had it before, but it's Bell's, so I'm expecting it to be excellent.

    Also picked up Rhinegeist Truth IPA, which is becoming one of my regulars, and Dayton Beer Co Oregon Alley IPA, which I've not had yet.

  7. #382
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I picked up a 6 of Hopsoulution IPA today. I've never had it before, but it's Bell's, so I'm expecting it to be excellent.

    Also picked up Rhinegeist Truth IPA, which is becoming one of my regulars, and Dayton Beer Co Oregon Alley IPA, which I've not had yet.
    Hopsoulution is a double IPA that Bell's has had on tap off and on at the brewery here in Kalamazoo for several years, but they have never bottled it before. It is a good solid double IPA, but not on the same level as Hopslam or The Oracle (also from Bell's) IMO.

  8. #383
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Holy shit, where did you find Black Note? They have not released any in quite a while. I had some at a beer dinner Bell's hosted a year or so ago, and have not seen in bottles in about 2 years. Truly a nectar of the gods.
    I bought just over a case of Black Note when it was last released in 2014. I have one every so often, holidays, etc.

  9. #384
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,614
    ^ I wasn't familiar with it, so I went to RateBeer and searched for a description. They claim it is a "retired" beer, so you may not see it again.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  10. #385
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,614
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    and Dayton Beer Co Oregon Alley IPA, which I've not had yet.
    Had one last night. It's 8.0 and 99 IBU, so I was hopeful, expecting good things. However, this is a malty IPA, sorta like Cellar Rats, and I can't recommend it. Musty and dense, not really hop forward, I won't be purchasing it again.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  11. #386
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,861
    Last nights beers were :-

    Mystic De Varenne wild ale 6.5%
    mystic1.jpg
    Mystic Saison 7.5% fermented in Sauvignon Blanc barrels
    mystic2.jpg
    Trillium Heavy Mettle Double IPA 9.3 %
    trillium.jpg

    Very good night, all really nice, toss up between the Saison & DIPA as the best of the evening
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  12. #387
    ^^^ I'd like to try some beers from Trillium, Jack's Abby and Tree House. Have read only good things about them.

  13. #388
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,610
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    ^^^ I'd like to try some beers from Trillium, Jack's Abby and Tree House. Have read only good things about them.
    Maybe if you're a good boy this year, Santa will bring you some to ProgDay.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  14. #389
    ^^^ Lopez = my best friend haha. And I can bring some beer goodness from Michigan.

  15. #390
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I bought just over a case of Black Note when it was last released in 2014. I have one every so often, holidays, etc.
    Cool, I was only able to get my hands on 4 of them during that release and they are long gone.

  16. #391
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I wasn't familiar with it, so I went to RateBeer and searched for a description. They claim it is a "retired" beer, so you may not see it again.
    It is not really retired, but is a beer that Bell's only does every couple of years. Not sure why since it is so highly rated and popular, but there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when they decided to make a batch.

  17. #392
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,182
    Anybody tasted Peak Organic King Crimson ?

    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13884/55115/

  18. #393
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Very good night, all really nice, toss up between the Saison & DIPA as the best of the evening
    I love a good Saison. Was first introduced to it at the Biermarkt on the Esplanade in Toronto some years ago.

    Anyone had the Rogue Yellow Snow IPA? Delightful brew.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  19. #394
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,155

    The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

    Down here in the coast of North Carolina, I see a pretty good selection of Founders, which bodes well for visitors to Total Wine at Progday. I picked these beers up today, most being Founders which I haven't seen in MD. I can't wait to try Re-Dank-ulous, Red IPA:

    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

  20. #395
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Down here in the coast of North Carolina, I see a pretty good selection of Founders, which bodes well for visitors to Total Wine at Progday. I picked these beers up today, most being Founders which I haven't seen in MD. I can't wait to try Re-Dank-ulous, Red IPA:

    I have not tried the Re-Dankulous yet as it is a new release that just came out. Mosaic Promise is solid. They first brewed it for the Artprize festival in Grand Rapids (a huge month long arts festival) a few years ago and it went over so well that they have now added it to their regular summer brew selection now. I think some of the other IPA's they make are a bit better, but Mosaic is a good one too. Founders Pale is always a good choice. It is a little hoppier than the average Pale Ale which personally I like. I am not that big a fan of Devil Dancer, but some people love it. I think it is around 11% alcohol, so it will kick your ass. Really, you can't go wrong with anything made from Founders.

  21. #396
    Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coastal California
    Posts
    745
    The podcast Benjamin Walker's Theory of Everything has done a two-part series on craft brewing, entitled "Sudculture." I found it worth the time.

    https://toe.prx.org/2016/06/sudculture-part-i-of-ii/

    https://toe.prx.org/2016/06/sudculture-part-ii-of-ii/

    For me, there are a few craft breweries active in my county now. I bought a stainless steel growler flask, and decided that one of my summer projects will be to check their taprooms. Last Tuesday I went to the Discretion Brewing taproom and picked up a Belgian style Hibiscus Wit. Tasty, when it gets closer to room temperature, the hibiscus gets a little more prominent, but just undergirds the whole experience.

    Around Memorial Day I had tried a couple bottles of their Lavender IPA. I should have bought more, because it is gone. I have found precious few IPAs I actually enjoy, but somehow the astringency of the lavender worked well with the hops.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

  22. #397
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,155
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have not tried the Re-Dankulous yet as it is a new release that just came out. Mosaic Promise is solid. They first brewed it for the Artprize festival in Grand Rapids (a huge month long arts festival) a few years ago and it went over so well that they have now added it to their regular summer brew selection now. I think some of the other IPA's they make are a bit better, but Mosaic is a good one too. Founders Pale is always a good choice. It is a little hoppier than the average Pale Ale which personally I like. I am not that big a fan of Devil Dancer, but some people love it. I think it is around 11% alcohol, so it will kick your ass. Really, you can't go wrong with anything made from Founders.
    Re-Dankulous is awesome. Pours with a creamy head[emoji106]
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

  23. #398
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Re-Dankulous is awesome. Pours with a creamy head[emoji106]
    I will have to check it out for sure.

  24. #399
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    ...Founders...
    I haven't had anything yet by Founders that I didn't think was wonderful. Looking forward to trying these. We, in Boston, only get a few of what they offer. A Total Wine opened up in the next town over from me a couple weeks ago. I'll have to mosy over there and see what they have by Founders.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  25. #400
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,155
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I will have to check it out for sure.
    Get ready for a mouthful of hops, malt and a bit more alcohol since it is an Imperial Red Ale. But not sweet, like some can be.
    [They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •