Page 108 of 131 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    one Hawaiian brew my wife and I loved there was Kona Black Sand Porter. Not available on the continent, only in Hawaii
    Agree, that was a good one!

Yesterday, my son and I went to a relatively new brewery, Bearmoose (https://www.bearmoosebrewing.com/), a couple miles from us in Everett, Mass. (home of Night Shift and Bone Up and the Short Path distillery). Oh, man, is it good. We started off with an oatmeal stout (5.8%) and their Black Bear Stout (7.2%) and chased them with a pilsner (~5.5%) and pale ale called Witty (6.2%), all 16-oz pours. I don't know what they put in those beers, but I was floating for a good 5 hours. The place is nondescript on the outside with outdoor seating. There's a bottle-and-can redemption center and liquor store on one side and a psychic reading room on the other. The indoor space is huge with a nice bar area and plenty of table seating. The professionally made outdoor sign blew away in a recent storm, so you'd only know the place by a hand-scrawled sign on a post by the road. We will definitely be going back.

After that, we floated a couple doors down to Popeye's for some spicy chicken sandwiches.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Cool will check it out.

Hearing a lot about (unsurprising) claims of misogyny hitting leadership of lots of local brewers, Lord Hobo, Wormtown, Hill Farmstead seem to be mentioned most. Heavily male environment, beer, and celebrity status is not really a good mix.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Cool will check it out.

Hearing a lot about (unsurprising) claims of misogyny hitting leadership of lots of local brewers, Lord Hobo, Wormtown, Hill Farmstead seem to be mentioned most. Heavily male environment, beer, and celebrity status is not really a good mix.
    Get ready for the same spirit of women after receiving the right to vote and pushing alcohol prohibition which in turn created one of the biggest crime waves ever until 37 when it was voted down. They will bait and go after men that are targets. Money and power to be made. Good bye to libertarianism

I was in the Twin Cities for a day and a half. My brother and nephew took me here for beer and brisket sandwiches. The photo doesn't do it justice - just a spectacular space.

https://surlybrewing.com/destination-brewery/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Let's not make this thread political. I probably shouldn't have raised it if it elicits that reaction.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cool will check it out.

We went on a "Women Leaders Of West Michigan" beer tour two weekends ago. The tour hit 4 breweries run by women. All of them seemed to be doing quite good post COVID and the beer was all good to great.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Let's not make this thread political. I probably shouldn't have raised it if it elicits that reaction.
    Give me scottish ale or give me death.
    They can pry my barleywine from my cold dead hands.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Since it's 100 degrees here, I decided to try Anchor California Lager. Seems suited to a hot day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Give me scottish ale or give me death.
    They can pry my barleywine from my cold dead hands.
    Are you a dirty bastard, lover

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Yeah, that stuff's pretty good.

We were in Portland, Maine last weekend and, holy shit, there are a lot of breweries for a city that small (65K, apparently the biggest city in Maine).

We wound up going to Liquid Riot (decent beer but an even better Fernet--NC's ridiculous liquor laws prevent me from having it shipped here, though), Gritty's (couldn't resist the name--the cask bitter definitely was worth the visit, though), Shipyard (meh) and Oxbow.

I knew a bit about Oxbow from my local bottle shop. It did not disappoint.

IMG_5300.jpg

We were only able to stay for one round, so I got the flight (the beers marked with a star on the menu). All were delicious.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    We were in Portland, Maine last weekend and, holy shit, there are a lot of breweries for a city that small (65K, apparently the biggest city in Maine).

We wound up going to Liquid Riot (decent beer but an even better Fernet--NC's ridiculous liquor laws prevent me from having it shipped here, though), Gritty's (couldn't resist the name--the cask bitter definitely was worth the visit, though), Shipyard (meh) and Oxbow.

I knew a bit about Oxbow from my local bottle shop. It did not disappoint.

IMG_5300.jpg

We were only able to stay for one round, so I got the flight (the beers marked with a star on the menu). All were delicious.
    Can’t read menu, too blurry.

Yeah, doesn't look like I can get it any better.

Here's the menu:
    https://oxbowbeer.com/location/portland/

Banned
    Yeah, doesn't look like I can get it any better.

Here's the menu:
    https://oxbowbeer.com/location/portland/
    Wow, never seen so many Farmhouse selection

Banned
    I’ve gotten burned out on bitter after taste IPAs and NEIPAs. With imported German premium beers priced less than a lot of American crafts, I’m trying 3 and here is the first:

Banned
    Stoudt’s is not dead yet:

https://stoudts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Wow, never seen so many Farmhouse selection
    The use their Portland location for barreling. Those aged farmhouse beers did not disappoint.

I’ve gotten burned out on bitter after taste IPAs and NEIPAs. With imported German premium beers priced less than a lot of American crafts, I’m trying 3 and here is the first:
    I definitely prefer lagers and pilsners, but I've recently discovered a few pales and sessions that I like. Still can't dig a super hop forward IPA, but I like having that diversity in my beer fridge.

But summer is all about the Radler for me. I stocked up on German Radlers to take with me to the beach next week. Crushable, low-alcohol (typical 2% ABV) and all kinds of sunny, the German Radler is my go-to summer beer.

Banned
    I have to check the Radner out. I also am interested in what craft beers use corn or rice. I once thought that was Bud (rice) or Miller Coors (corn) treatment for bitter six row indigenous barley, but some brewer said American crafts use those pervasively. Germans don’t use corn and rice, because their barley is not bitter.

^Fonta Flora out of Morganton, NC has an adjunct lager they make with corn called Lake James Life. (The lime variation of it is good, too, though I'll pass on the watermelon one.) Not sure how widespread their distribution is. They have modeled themselves (at least partially) after Jester King out of Austin, TX. Their beers are very good if you can get them your way.

https://fontaflora.com

But summer is all about the Radler for me. I stocked up on German Radlers to take with me to the beach next week. Crushable, low-alcohol (typical 2% ABV) and all kinds of sunny, the German Radler is my go-to summer beer.
    Called a shandy in England. Stock drink of the designated driver.
    Ian

Salvator is an all-time favorite of mine. If you can find it on tap, get it - absolutely delicious. Flüssiges Brot, to be sure!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Called a shandy in England. Stock drink of the designated driver.
    They have become a lot more popular here in my neck of the wood, but I have never been much of a Shandy fan. Both Bell's and Founders make versions of them now.

I thought there was more difference between a shandy and Radler than just the name. Most of the shandies I find have more of a beer taste and, generally, higher alcohol. But I'm ok with being wrong. Sort of how "farmhouse" is basically the same as saison.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Only Radler I've tried is Four Peaks Grapefruit Radler. Good on a hot day. Good on draft. From Tempe, Arizona. Local liquor stores don't carry them.