Page 103 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 3258

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That’s the best one you can get in an average restaurant or bar, but Victory and Sierra Nevada have enough hops to balance the sweet.
    I have never had the Victory, but agree that the Sierra Nevada is a really good one.

Good pumpkin beers are hard to come by, but we have a brew pub here in Kalamazoo (Olde Peninsula) who makes a great Pumpkin Ale. They are only about a block from Bell's (and several other breweries), and most of their beers are very average, but their Pumpkin is really good. I also like Screaming Pumpkin from Griffin Claw on the east side of the state. It is usually on of my go to tailgate beers, but no football this fall in my neck of the woods, so won't be doing that.

funny...

I been drinkin a case of Punkin Porter by Four Peaks that I got cheap 2 weeks ago
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    great Pumpkin Ale
    great pumpkin.jpg

I got some Sam Adams Octoberfest to try later.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Victory is a Pennsylvania brewery and back in the day, like many PA breweries they were very German or Czech oriented. In the last 15 years they started producing ales. The have a very Mid-Century modern looking brewery. Most Total wines in the midatlantic carry them.

https://victorybeer.com/about/breweries/

PS: Other than PA, they brew in Charlotte.

One thing I really miss living here in the sticks is that sensation of being at the bar in an Oktoberfest celebration (there were several in the Twin Cities)
    and getting a large stein filled with Hacker-Pschorr or Ayinger, etc. I know they came across the ocean so they're not fresh, but damn they tasted great.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    The best, and I started drinking German 40 years ago. Well there are a lot of Germans in PA and they have great water. The Baltimore brewery back in the 90s had a Dutch brewer trained in Germany and their Marzen was awesome. This is up to that:

Banned
    A thread started about Michelob in FB prompted me to write this response:

I wasn’t a big beer drinker back in the 70’s, but at NC State some of us drove up to the VA line to buy Strohs and Coors. People who like strong taste went for Strohs, and beer pussies like me liked Coors because it had a body that was unique. I was much more of a Miller fan and Miller had a thing about Barley with a 100% Barley lager. AB always went for the rice and now brags about it. I think Coors used barley and not rice back in the day. The real taste killer IMO is corn in beer, but if it’s a light beer who cares. A friend of mine much later who went sort of on the wagon, said in a reply to me after I said Coors Lite has no taste, “That’s the point, it’s not offensive”. Barley is backbone of most reasonable beers. What I have found out since then about Michelob beer is that it has all ways been using 2 row European barley, instead of the American cousin which is much stronger in taste and requires more corn or rice to balance. Corn and rice are cheap. 2 row barley is huge difference for Michelob relative to its AB cousins and some Miller/Coors beers. Means less or no corn or rice. Corn in mainstream beer is GMO and therefore the drinker gets a dose of weed killer😳

PS: European style 2 row barley is now grown in quantity in the US to support craft beer. There are craft Pilsners that blow Bud away primary because they don’t use cheap ass Barley and rice. Rice also contains arsenic. AB can brag about not using corn, but is arsenic better? A true Czech style Pilsner has be come a fad in recent years on the west coast, but we had one brewed in Baltimore that was hoppy as any IPA. Now I know that the mellower 2 row barley used in Europe doesn’t cover the hops making for stronger hop flavor. Interesting enough the recent NEIPA fad uses oats to flavor and mellow, and it clouds.

Here's Czech style pils I'm quite fond of - it seems quite true to the form and easy to find out here in West Bumfuck

https://www.summitbrewing.com/brews/dakota-soul/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't think I've ever seen Summit Beer anywhere I have been. Glad you can get a decent pils, though.

Banned
    And yet another Octoberfest that is quite good. DuClaw was brewery restaurant in MD near the BWI airport. They sold off the restaurant biz and then focused on beer. One of their restaurants was converted with a lot of construction into a huge Yardhouse restaurant pub.

Banned
    Some of us know about this one:

Banned
    Very clean, crisp and not overly malty:

I had a Warsteiner Oktoberfest today. Very tasty. I place it second, after the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest, of the ones I've tried so far this year.

Banned
    This Union brewery version is closer to the post 1810 or recent German style which is lighter in color and taste. Prior to 1810 the Marzen formula was more like Munich Dunkel, darker in color.

Banned
    OK, I now have formulated my opinion about Ocktoberfest. The ones which are closer to current German recipes are what I like:
    1. Union
    2. Victory
    3. Sierra Nevada

I like the hops content of Bell’s but if I wanted hops I would drink an IPA.

DuClaws - too much malt
    Others - not bad but not my favorites

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    OK, I now have formulated my opinion about Ocktoberfest. The ones which are closer to current German recipes are what I like:
    1. Union
    2. Victory
    3. Sierra Nevada

I like the hops content of Bell’s but if I wanted hops I would drink an IPA.

DuClaws - too much malt
    Others - not bad but not my favorites
    This is a good policy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Had a Bell's Double Two Hearted last night. Tays-tee, and hides the alcohol pretty well for 11% ❤️❤️❤️❤️
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Had a Bell's Double Two Hearted last night. Tays-tee, and hides the alcohol pretty well for 11% ❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Going to have at least one of those with a buddy watching the Lions game tomorrow afternoon.

Ha a nice round (or two or so) of ales etc. from the Isles Friday Night.

Spitfire Kentish Ale
    Fuller's London Porter
    Theakston Old Peculier
    Brewdog Punk IPA
    Guinnesss Hop House 13

Banned
    This NEIPA was too citrusy for me. Name of the beer doesn’t make sense.

^ New England IPAs are hazy/cloudy, not clear. Hence the name.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ New England IPAs are hazy/cloudy, not clear. Hence the name.
    Not as thick a haze as “Haze for Days” an NEPale Ale from Odenton MD. Haze uses oats which act like a thickener.

I’m a red guy. I just quaffed a nice Scotch Ale from Bellingham, Washington.
    Boundary Bay brewers!
    Delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Nice, and Nice town. I love the HomeSkillet restaurant.