Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My friend, who knows more about beer, and the whole process than I do, says it's something that happens in the canning or carbonation process. I don't recall which.

I've had unshaken beers that emptied themselves upright, upon the tab being pulled. If one does, usually the whole pack will have that flaw.
    thanks Mark
    I've never home-brewed but I remember witnessing a friend do it many years ago and I believe there was some substance that was put into each bottle with the boil in order to create carbonation. Perhaps this is the screw up that can happen?

anyway, I've finally figured out a way to make it work. If I pop the top on the bottle like any normal brew, then the foam comes pouring out. So I carefully let just a little pressure out at a time, taking about 10 seconds to remove the cap this way. Then I take the 12oz bottle and very slowly and carefully decant it in a pint glass so as to create as little head as possible. Now comes the trick. I put the glass on a sliding surface and swirl the glass around in little circles until the head comes all the way to the top, then let that head dissipate for a minute. I repeat this last step about 7 or 8 times and then the brew settles down to taste normal with a reasonable amount of carbonation.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bottle and canned beer is definitely spike led with CO2 to increase carbonation which IMO acidifies and does not make it taste as good as draft. Draft can be pressurized with NO2 or nitrogen as in stouts like Guinness. I love the Left Hamd Milk stouts you pour upside down to get equivalent of a nitro draft. You need room for the foam but itís dense and not that out of control.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    A friend from NYC sent me a can of the Other Half HDHC Fort Point which is based on the Trillium recipe so I had to do a side by side taste test with Trillium's DDH Fort Point, both outstanding, the OH slightly smoother and grassier, can't really pick a winner

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I really wish I could get Trillium in Michigan.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Finally got to try Bell's Two Hearted Ale. As they had no fresh ones in my town, I went to another town and found one with a packaging date early this month. It is one tasty ale.

No. I didn't travel down the road a piece only to get a six pack. Might have been worth the trip, though.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Gonna pound down a couple fresh cans of Two-Hearted right now. If God brewed anything better, she kept it for herself.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Raided California for some beers. Sudwerk's 'The People's Pilsner' from Davis, California. The name of the beer alone makes the consumer an enemy of your favorite tangerine-tinted fascist. Good summer lager. And Alpine's 'Duet' IPA, presumably named Duet for the two varieties of hops used (simcoe and amarillo). Alpine in San Diego County, not Alpine County. Waiting for that one to refrigerate.

if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Alpine Duet is a nice beer, had a few of those on the east coast.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.