Page 100 of 131 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 3255

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    For U.S. Independence Day, I got some of one of the great local brews, Mammoth Brewery's 395 IPA. Named for the Eastern Sierra's north-south Highway, U.S. Highway 395, it is a superb IPA, lightly flavored with sagebrush and juniper berries. Those plants are omnipresent on the east side of the Sierra Nevada.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

We took a road trip from AZ to ND and I found an amazingly great IPA... almost able to contend with the champ, Two Hearted

it is called Shy Giant from Fernsin Brewing of Sioux Falls, SD
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Got one of these yesterday - probably the best stout I have ever tasted!

http://www.borgbrugghus.is/thebeer/product/nr-19-garun2

They even make a stout with 21% http://www.borgbrugghus.is/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

I went to their website. They make some mighty interesting looking beers; even a very low alcohol–content one made with sheep-manure smoked malt. Do I want to try that one? You betchum!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I went to their website. They make some mighty interesting looking beers; even a very low alcohol–content one made with sheep-manure smoked malt. Do I want to try that one? You betchum!
    'sheep manure smoked' seems to be a speciality of theirs, there are several with that flavour.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

And they say it’s a Prog craft brewery

As of 12:30 today, I officially retired. The first thing I grabbed was a Hobo Life 16oz can from the Lord Hobo Brewery a couple towns north of me.

Hobo-Life-16oz-can.jpg

It's the hobo life for me now. Dee-lish!
    Lou

^ Congrats!

I'm a year away.

As of 12:30 today, I officially retired. The first thing I grabbed was a Hobo Life 16oz can from the Lord Hobo Brewery a couple towns north of me.

Hobo-Life-16oz-can.jpg

Nice! I am looking at the end of this year / early next year myself.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Hobo-Life-16oz-can.jpg

Congrats! Nice beer too.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Sweet

This week, tried for first time Sierra Nevada Hoptimum and Bell's Hopslam. It is possible to get Bell's Two Hearted out here, but all the ones currently available were packaged in 2019. I will try it when or if they get some fresh ones.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    This week, tried for first time Sierra Nevada Hoptimum and Bell's Hopslam. It is possible to get Bell's Two Hearted out here, but all the ones currently available were packaged in 2019. I will try it when or if they get some fresh ones.
    With Hopslam, the fresher the better. They always release it in January, so yours is probably about 6 months old, so not optimal, but still should be good. I am a big fan of Hoptimum as well.

I would say that Two-Hearted, especially in bottles, is much better if it's only a couple months old.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All of the hop forward beers are better fresh. Stouts, Porters, and Barleywines age well. Malty ales like Winter Ales, Christmas Ales, Scottish Ales, etc fall somewhere in between. They're probably best fresh, but a few months aging won't ruin the flavor.

The Two Hearted Ale is sold in bottles, and I didn't think 8 months in the bottle was going to do it any good. The Hopslam was 6 months from its packing date, but was sold in cans, which keeps it fresh a little longer, if my information is correct. Sure tasted good.

Banned
    My favorite NEPA for now. Appropriate balance, not too citrusy, use of oat malt and not too much, and it’s 6.2% ABV.
    Last edited by Firth; 07-19-2020 at 08:30 PM.

^ No offense, appears to be a Pale Ale, not an IPA.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ No offense, appears to be a Pale Ale, not an IPA.
    Yes, thank you and that leads to another point for me, maybe this style is more to my liking as a NEPA than a NEIPA.

has anyone ever had a beer that had *very carefully* not been shaken yet still has an insane fizzy head so much so that you can not pour it without the head overflowing the top of the glass?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    has anyone ever had a beer that had *very carefully* not been shaken yet still has an insane fizzy head so much so that you can not pour it without the head overflowing the top of the glass?
    Happens to me a lot if the beer is not sufficiently chilled. Usually takes at least 1.5 hours in the fridge.
    Lou

Banned
    Happens to me a lot if the beer is not sufficiently chilled. Usually takes at least 1.5 hours in the fridge.
    Absolutely, and there is another factor which is minor but maybe important. If the glass just came out of the dishwasher and is warm, that will contribute to foam, even if poured properly. A slower pour helps and a ice cold glass. I believe if the beer is at a temp appropriate for an IPA (cool but not cold) and the glass is the same temp, that’s optimum head. Most strong beers exit a tap, bottle or can, as way too cold. Beers like Budweiser are best ice cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

This one always does - you need to be fast to get in the glass.

thanks for the answers guys

but those things were not the case with this one and a few others I've had over the decades
    the beer was refrigerated for days and the glass was clean from the day before
    it is the whole 6 pack of these it seems. They have 4 times the fizz of a typical Belgian like Golden Draak but it's an American Stout in this case. I was just wondering if anyone who home brews or has some inside info on brewing knew how this type of thing happens?

I carefully take it off the shelf in the fridge and decant it extremely slowly into the clean glass and yet the fizzy head just explodes. So far, this has happened with 3 different glasses. This phenomena has happened on rare occasions over the years with other beers. Perhaps 4 times in my beer life

My friend, who knows more about beer, and the whole process than I do, says it's something that happens in the canning or carbonation process. I don't recall which.

I've had unshaken beers that emptied themselves upright, upon the tab being pulled. If one does, usually the whole pack will have that flaw.