Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New albums by artists you purchase without even a listen.

New albums by artists you purchase without even a listen.

I recently bought the new Gilmour solo album the day it came out without even hearing a single song from the album including the pre release of Rattle That Lock. Many others just pre-ordered it.

What artists would you purchase without even listening to a single song from their new albums?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Many artists I purchase everything by, without a listen. But often, I can't wait for the cd so sneak peaks, after already buying it. Any of these artists included:

Tony Banks
    Dave Stewart (any project)
    Thieves' Kitchen
    Advent
    Big Big Train
    High Llamas

I'll buy the next Thinking Plague, Ske and Ciccada albums without a listen I think. Same if 'Ere G' or 'Young Dreams' ever puts out a follow up.

I actually buy albums by artists I didn't hitherto even hear about until someone whose opin I trust tells me to check 'em out. I think I must have caught on to at least 3-400 names through the authority of Steve F. at Wayside alone. And the worst fuck is that I can't ever remember being at odds with any of those he recommended. It's a strange world. If he came out and told me to get that "great new one by Kenny G." I'd be a bit worried, tho'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Bob Dylan, Brian Setzer, and SCOTS. that's about it.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Oregon, Steven Wilson, Crim/Fripp, Tull/Anderson, Ant. Phillips, David Torn

Suspended
    I almost never do this, though frankly it's getting to the point where I may start doing it for Steven Wilson, because he has yet to disappoint me.

I have bought a couple of Bob Lind albums (from the man's site itself) without having heard a note, though in each case I knew one or more of the songs, just not those particular versions.

Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms, after having heard her more recent album and loved it.
    Tony Banks - Six, largely based on recommendations from this forum.
    Opeth - Damnation, Heritage, & Pale Communion, on recommendations from the PT forum.

Can't think of any others off-hand.

Iron Maiden
    The Stranglers
    Morrissey

none, really!!!

First, I never pre-order. it's a principle
    Second, before I buy it, I usually got at least a whiff of it i n one way or another (not that it's really indicative)
    Third, there are very few albums (or items of any kind) that I would qualify as "auto-buy"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Paul McCartney. I love what he's been doing over recent years.

None, I dont consider myself as a collector.

None ... In a age of sample before you purchase why would I take a blind plunge? I am not a completist so I sample everything before I buy. Yet, I can still manage to get taken in on occasion, like the above-mentioned new Gilmour for example.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Le Orme, even if their lineup keeps changing.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 12-19-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Here are some the current bands I trust enough to deliver the goods: Setna, Monomyth, Papir, Causa Sui, and Wolf People.

When a new release crops up from any of these, I plan to get it quickly. It's not so much on principle. I just am really looking forward to hear the next thing.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I actually buy albums by artists I didn't hitherto even hear about until someone whose opin I trust tells me to check 'em out. I think I must have caught on to at least 3-400 names through the authority of Steve F. at Wayside alone. And the worst fuck is that I can't ever remember being at odds with any of those he recommended. It's a strange world. If he came out and told me to get that "great new one by Kenny G." I'd be a bit worried, tho'.
    Yeah, I'm guilty of this. Usually if I don't like it immediately, I come around to it eventually.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just preordered the Mantra Vega album based on Dave Kerzner and Heather Findlay being the main folks involved (and Dave Kilminster). Not heard a note.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quite a lot, if it's on the recommendation of someone I trust such as Steve F , Scrotum Scissors, Udi etc. I quite happy to take the risk given the good track record.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Magic Pie
    Sonus Umbra
    Little Atlas
    Kerry Chicoine (whatever the band)

There are several others (District 97, MoeTar, Thieves' Kitchen among them), but the first 3 bands & KC are personal friends, so they always get the support from me. I don't have to hear them. I know them (& of course what they're capable of musically).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Paul McCartney. I love what he's been doing over recent years.
    Cheeky devil! I think you'll enjoy this holiday classic from Sir Paul. https://youtu.be/V9BZDpni56Y
    Last edited by StevegSr; 12-19-2015 at 03:09 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

King's X
    Steve Morse Band
    Deep Purple
    Dream Theater
    Flying Colors
    The Jelly Jam
    IZZ
    3rDegree
    Tom Brislin

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    What artists would you purchase without even listening to a single song from their new albums?
    Virtually everyone. I'd only sample something first if it's an artist I haven't heard or heard of before. Even then I'm often happy to grab it blind if I read some reviews/discussions that make it sound interesting.

Strawbs

That's about it for extant bands, though any new releases of old, in-the-can stuff by the Move/Roy Wood, Byrds, Burritos, and Sir Doug are auto-buys for me.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Jade Warrior (I'm that tight)

Univers Zero
    Magma
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Orcopian
    All of the bands I have grown up with as a fan like iq, Pallas, marillion, pendragon, big big train , spocks beard, flower kings, bevis frond, dream theater , pt/ Steve Wilson I will pre-order without question, there a number of more recent bands like pineapple thief, godsticks, glass hammer and thieves kitchen who I will also buy. Plus artists like Mike Keneally and govt mule who I was late coming to the party but will purchase no question ( I haven't bought the recent reggae album though...)There are many others who i will listen to on Spotify then eventually buy when prices are a bit lower, like joe satriani for example. some bands like ozric tentacles and mostly Autumn used to be in the immediate purchase category but are now in the latter category.