Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 290

Thread: Star Wars - The Force Awakens

  1. #26
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Saw it last night. I liked it quite a bit. I'll never be a wide-eyed 10 year old again, and it was NEVER going to recapture that same sense of awe as the first few films...but it was nonetheless a really cool film. The new actors were some of the best the franchise has ever offered up. So nice to see actual acting happening, after some of the cut & paste "first take is fine, we'll fix in in post" performances of the prequels.

    Is it one of the greatest films of our time? Nope. Not even the greatest SW film ever. But it was fine quality fun. I'm glad they made it
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I saw it last night. Fun is the right word - which is my view of most of the other SW movies. As much depth as may be suggested by the existence of so many different planets and races, the stories seem sort of only "skin deep" in comparison. That's not a bad thing though, in my opinion.


    Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    I went away with mixed feelings honestly. Mind you, I'm not a prequel hater and I pretty much grew up on Star Wars and action figures (was 7 when the movie came out), and even chose a career in film/video/media production.

    The look and feel of the movie itself was spectacular. All the grit from the originals mixed with fairly well done CGI (in most cases) for quite a marvel feat in modern visual FX. The characters and acting (for the most part) were also better than previous SW films. Where I came away a bit frustrated with J.J. Abrams was that I felt as is certain aspects of the plot that were lazy and areas that (within the context of the Star Wars canon) were not very believable. I almost felt that if the film had been 30 minutes longer, it maybe have helped fill things in a bit.

    I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. I do think I got caught a bit with my expectations lifted a bit too high. I also feel that it's more than likely the film will play better when watched as part of the new trilogy than as a standalone.

    That's about as much as I can say without any spoilers.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  2. #27
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I felt as is certain aspects of the plot that were lazy and areas that (within the context of the Star Wars canon) were not very believable. I almost felt that if the film had been 30 minutes longer, it maybe have helped fill things in a bit.
    Interesting. I'll go into it next week with this in mind.

    For me, the SW canon has always been crippled by the neo-religious aspects of it: telepathy, the force, mind control... all totally unbelievable to somebody like me with a rational worldview. The science, cool-as-it-was, was polluted by un-scientific (and pre-literate) thinking. I just don't believe in magic.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-19-2015 at 04:05 PM.

  3. #28
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,257
    I'll go some time after the holidays. What I won't do is expend a lot of energy to see it, i.e. I'll wait for the lines to die down. I've only seen two of the movies at the theater, Empire Strikes Back and Send in The Clones. I've seen all of the movies one way or another.
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

  4. #29
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    For me, the SW canon has always been crippled by the neo-religious aspects of it: telepathy, the force, mind control... all totally unbelievable to somebody like me with a rational worldview. The science, cool-as-it-was, was polluted by un-scientific (and pre-literate) thinking. I just don't believe in magic.
    After Empire Strikes Back way back when I had a science teacher point out to us that much of what we were seeing was very unrealistic, such as the way the space travel was depicted, laser blasters that made noises and shot beams of light that could be easily ducked, etc. Realists tend to be a real pain in the ass for fantasy buffs, which is what Star Wars is, fantasy.
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

  5. #30
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The look and feel of the movie itself was spectacular. All the grit from the originals mixed with fairly well done CGI (in most cases) for quite a marvel feat in modern visual FX. The characters and acting (for the most part) were also better than previous SW films. Where I came away a bit frustrated with J.J. Abrams was that I felt as is certain aspects of the plot that were lazy and areas that (within the context of the Star Wars canon) were not very believable. I almost felt that if the film had been 30 minutes longer, it maybe have helped fill things in a bit.
    Good point about the acting - that aspect of the movie was well done, IMO.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  6. #31
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,193
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    After Empire Strikes Back way back when I had a science teacher point out to us that much of what we were seeing was very unrealistic, such as the way the space travel was depicted, laser blasters that made noises and shot beams of light that could be easily ducked, etc.

    Realists tend to be a real pain in the ass for fantasy buffs, which is what Star Wars is, fantasy.
    Yep, we sure are. The easiest way to understand Star Wars, and understand the reason why the science in the SW universe is so anti-scientific, is to think of them as "sword-and-sorcery epics." Lucas said in one interview early on that he was trying to recreate the world of Errol Flynn and the Robin Hood serials which ran in theaters in the 1940s.

    Light sabers are of course swords. The armor worn by storm troopers. The spaceships are sea ships, with similar sailing times. Stories revolve around rebellions against the king, and rescuing fair maidens, and fighting for the oppressed. Looked at in this way, most of the totally incomprehensible design decisions become at least understandable (though still not forgivable).

    I mean, engine whine in space????

  7. #32
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I feel like the only person who couldn't give a crap. I could barely make it through any of the prequels once.
    I've got you beat: I've never seen any Star Wars movies.
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  8. #33
    Member Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wilmington, De.
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I've got you beat: I've never seen any Star Wars movies.
    I'm surprised you can get WIFI in your cave.

  9. #34
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I'm surprised you can get WIFI in your cave.
    No shit! There's no cable service here, let alone a broadcast signal, and we could get satellite only by clearing a shitload of trees (and even that didn't help with one of the two available satellite providers!).
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  10. #35
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I mean, engine whine in space????
    he does 'get' the majority of his viewing audience. Engine whine isn't a big deal when you've got fighter craft flying like jet fighters... in a vacuum. Anti-gravity stabilization in space. The ability of a single seat fighter to traverse.... I know, boring stuff. It's not like Star Trek fares much better (well, a little better). Not a whole lot of any movies out there that doesn't require a little bit of suspension of disbelief. It does bother me though when the term sci-fi is used to cover everything from Batman to Star Wars to 2001:A Space Odyssey (one of these things aren't like the other).
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

  11. #36
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,412
    ^^

    If you can build a power scource into a hilt of a light saber, able to sustain the laser blade over a longer time, you can do anything.

    Technically it would be easier to build the Death Star than a light saber.

  12. #37
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    ^^

    If you can build a power scource into a hilt of a light saber, able to sustain the laser blade over a longer time, you can do anything.

    Technically it would be easier to build the Death Star than a light saber.
    Hmmm...


  13. #38
    Member davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    242
    Never been much of a Star Wars fan, but have at it! I still like Star Trek TOS and films.

  14. #39
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

    The look and feel of the movie itself was spectacular. All the grit from the originals mixed with fairly well done CGI (in most cases) for quite a marvel feat in modern visual FX. The characters and acting (for the most part) were also better than previous SW films. Where I came away a bit frustrated with J.J. Abrams was that I felt as is certain aspects of the plot that were lazy and areas that (within the context of the Star Wars canon) were not very believable. I almost felt that if the film had been 30 minutes longer, it maybe have helped fill things in a bit.
    Watched it today with my 15 year old son, and I agree but we were very entertained.

  15. #40
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Hmmm...

    That's a cool lighter
    Digital playback brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

  16. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,116
    Saw Star Wars this afternoon. I will not mention any spoilers, as I think the best way to see this movie is not to know what is going to happen ahead of time. Is it a perfect movie? No it has it’s minor flaws, but overall it lived up to the hype and ranks right up there with the best films in the franchise. There is a definite throwback in style to the original film in this one. Many of our old favorite characters are back with Harrison Ford’s Hans Solo being particularly memorable. The film is well written and acted with a few very funny moments to go along with the action and incredible special effects. I dug it a lot and enjoyed the way it ended. Already looking forward to the next film. If you are a Star Wars fan at all I don’t think you will be disappointed.

  17. #42
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,107
    I saw it tonight with my kids, and Steve's review is spot-on. If you plan on seeing this and have somehow avoided spoilers thus far, then continue to do so - it's worth it, IMO.

    My kids loved it, with my 13-year-old daughter saying on the way out that it was the most amazing movie she's ever seen.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  18. #43
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I saw it tonight with my kids, and Steve's review is spot-on. If you plan on seeing this and have somehow avoided spoilers thus far, then continue to do so - it's worth it, IMO.

    My kids loved it, with my 13-year-old daughter saying on the way out that it was the most amazing movie she's ever seen.
    I think you might have nailed something on the head here which is to say that, like the prequels, many came away feeling the movies after the original trilogy were not made for those who grew up with the films, but for the next generation.

    Again, don't get me wrong as I was definitely "entertained", but the more I have had time to think about it and read reviews, the more I stand by my feelings in regards to the story. I'm hopeful that now that Abrams has everyone hooked and not calling for Jar Jar's head, he can proceed to write/direct the next two films and get a little bit more original with the storytelling.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  19. #44
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    My kids loved it, with my 13-year-old daughter saying on the way out that it was the most amazing movie she's ever seen.
    Im sure it helps to be thirteen.

  20. #45
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,471
    I'll never forget seeing the original film in 1977. I'd not heard anything about it but I saw the poster and heard it was opening that very day. There was a long line to get into the theater but the movie hadn't yet become this HUGE phenom yet. I guess I was 18-19 years old. Lot of fun. Had never seen anything like that before. After that movie the vibe was never the same. When it became obvious that it was sci-fi for kids I lost interest. In the past I'd wait to rent the DVD and skip the whole theater experience, but since brick-n-mortar rental stores have gone the way of the dodo, I won't be seeing this new film either.

  21. #46
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm hopeful that now that Abrams has everyone hooked and not calling for Jar Jar's head, he can proceed to write/direct the next two films and get a little bit more original with the storytelling.
    The storyline was definitely "safe." But it was more like the original trilogy, didn't get involved in Republic Senate politics that bored everyone to death, and brought back some of the magic and swashbuckling adventure. There is a lot of opportunity for a more developed story in the future films.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Im sure it helps to be thirteen.
    It also helps to go in to this with realistic expectations. This is a fun romp, not a science documentary.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  22. #47
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

    It also helps to go in to this with realistic expectations. This is a fun romp, not a science documentary.
    Exactly. If you're going to movies expecting the meaning of life to be revealed on-screen, well...you're going to experience a LOT of disappointments, lol.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  23. #48
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    In the past I'd wait to rent the DVD and skip the whole theater experience, but since brick-n-mortar rental stores have gone the way of the dodo, I won't be seeing this new film either.
    So you don't watch any movies except what pops on TV? You know you can PPV in the comfort of your living room for essentially the cost of a DVD rental back in the day.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  24. #49
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The storyline was definitely "safe." But it was more like the original trilogy
    That's an understatement.

    SPOILERS...























    Vital piece of data finds its way inside a droid who wanders around a desert planet and winds up in the hands of a innocent bystander who gets involved with the Rebell...er Resistance against the Emp...er First Order and learns the ways of the Force along the journey, even stopping at a Cantin...er castle bar along the way. Led by a Sith in a black mask with conflict and anger issues and an Emper...er Supreme Leader who we only see virtually, the First Order uses their ultimate weapon the Death St...er Starkiller to attempt to crush the Resistance, to be thwarted by a hot shot pilot, X-Wings and the Millennium Falcon who find a weak spot in the defenses.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  25. #50
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    So you don't watch any movies except what pops on TV?
    Yes, I don't watch movies unless it's on free TV. It's got nothing to do with money. If I want to see it that badly I'll go to the theater or just buy the DVD/Blueray when it's out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •