Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Billy Sherwood goal re new Yes music

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Don't forget the embarrassing situations they placed themselves in over the last several years, such as their appearance on the Colbert show, the under rehearsed shows with Styx, the playing of "We are only aliens from the future", and slow tempos of classic songs just to name a few off the top of my head. It just shows their lack of professionalism and commitment. So people think if they're not committed and acting professional, then why continue playing?
    Yes were on Colbert?

It seems the tempo issue has been fixed as I haven't seen many complaints for the recent shows. I heard somewhere that Squire set the tempos at live shows so maybe with Sherwood they have picked those up somewhat.

I suppose the enjoyment of whatever Yes may put out in the future depends somewhat on how much you like the current lineup. Those who feel Billy Sherwood is the devil's spawn will naturally not be interested. Those who like what the guy does will give Yes a chance. Same applies to Davison.

My biggest complaint with them in recent years has been Howe's poor tone. His note selection and playing have been fine but his tone has been terribly thin to to my ears.

I haven't had any major issues with the records, I find much to enjoy on OYE and H & E, two of their most reviled albums. I realize I'm in the minority here. While neither of those approach Close to the Edge, Relayer or 90125, I like them quite a bit.

The last time I saw them, which was with Benoit David, they were excellent.

I firmly believe that the current lineup has the capability of making great music. Doesn't mean they will, but they can. The right producer, the right attitude and a little hard work goes a long way no matter your age. Plus I am curious as to what Yes can do in the studio with this lineup.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Yes were on Colbert?
    Maybe I have the wrong show. It was a show where they played Owner and it was horrible!

That was some FOX News show with Mike Huckabee.... It was dismal but having 1/2 the staff at the show sit in on the jam didn't help! It was just Alan, Chris and Benoit from the band, if I remember right.

^thanks for the clarification. My point was that Yes has done some things in the recent past that calls in to question their commitment and professionalism. So to answer a previous poster, it is not necessarily about them taking a new musical direction that some people question, but the fact that they appear to be not committed and at times unprofessional. If that is the case, people my ask, and rightly so, why bother continuing?

To answer another poster, you may not like Marillion's music, but you will never see them unrehearsed or not fully committed to what they're doing. Thus, there is no reason to tell them to call it a day.

The infamous "Chris McGuire" gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    ^thanks for the clarification. My point was that Yes has done some things in the recent past that calls in to question their commitment and professionalism. So to answer a previous poster, it is not necessarily about them taking a new musical direction that some people question, but the fact that they appear to be not committed and at times unprofessional. If that is the case, people my ask, and rightly so, why bother continuing?

To answer another poster, you may not like Marillion's music, but you will never see them unrehearsed or not fully committed to what they're doing. Thus, there is no reason to tell them to call it a day.
    There is still no reason for Yes to call it a day. If you think these things about the product they are putting out, don't buy it. I still have yet to see a convincing argument for why someone should be done. It basically boils down to "I don't like what they are doing so they should quit" which I cannot understand. Don't go to concerts or buy new material. Problem solved.

I'm firmly in the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" camp, but I think Magic Mountain makes some good points here.

That said, I didn't see any of that when I saw Yes on their tour with Toto.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    There is still no reason for Yes to call it a day. If you think these things about the product they are putting out, don't buy it. I still have yet to see a convincing argument for why someone should be done. It basically boils down to "I don't like what they are doing so they should quit" which I cannot understand. Don't go to concerts or buy new material. Problem solved.
    Listen, I'm a huge Yes fan and don't really care if they continue or not. I was giving some reasons why some people may say they shouldn't continue. I bought H&E because I am somewhat of a completest, but will probably never go to another show again (this is after seeing them over 20 times). However, I still feel the tug when they come around the area though it has been fading over the years.

H&E seemed more like a JD solo album. knowing BS's contribution to OYE & The Ladder, i just don't think they should do another album.
    the only way i'll welcome a new Yes album at this point will be with JA. and i still think it's still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the only way i'll welcome a new Yes album at this point will be with JA. and i still think it's still possible.
    I think it's possible too. If I had to put odds on it, I think we'll probably get an album without him, but he could come back. Ditto Wakeman (R). Ditto some sort of involvement by Horn or Rabin. This is Yes: they are unpredictable.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/