Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Italian R.I.O.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maribor View Post
    The Aparecidos album is f...ing awesome. Check them out on AltrOck.
    Indeed it is though I don't really think of it as RIO.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

No, you're right there. But it's got the experimental spirit of RIO and progressive rock in abundance. Not really much dissonance, but these guys sure can write some captivating music.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maribor View Post
    No, you're right there. But it's got the experimental spirit of RIO and progressive rock in abundance. Not really much dissonance, but these guys sure can write some captivating music.
    Exactly. I listened to their album and while I wasn't exactly wowed by anything in particular, I really liked it and couldn't stop listening.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Exactly. I listened to their album and while I wasn't exactly wowed by anything in particular, I really liked it and couldn't stop listening.
    Same here, it's been getting of spins here, enjoying it a lot.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

http://www.megasoundrecords.com/en/neo.html

I'll see them performing live tomorrow in Lyon, France

New Album by "Le Maschere di Clara" streaming

http://www.rockit.it/lemascheredicla...lalveare/21755

Help Claudio Milano to found the new NichelOdeon Album!

https://www.musicraiser.com/projects...s-crowdfunding

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Gramigna very nice mellow RIO from '77 that would deserve a CD reissue
    I've been listening to this one now for two years by way of my download from YT, and I'd dare say it's the single finest Italian 70s progressive record never reissued that -I- know of.

You TRULY grow connected to the immensely intimate domain of fervour apparent here; they're as melodic as they're reckless and odd - but still they're first and foremost just tremendously human and diligent at channelling a message. It's obviously a farce of sorts, set to illustrate tacklings of fate through various situations and episodes somehow entangled during recurrent tonal/lyrical motifs surrounding 'Alice'.

Although vaguely reminiscent of fairly few artists within the greater bin of "fringe" progressive (be it RIO or Canterbury mold), Gramigna are reasonably easy on the ear and all the more rewarding for undercurrents of finesse and distinction. Nothing here is neither grating nor excessive; it's all direct-and-to-the-point or indeed back to point. They're folky and densely commanding at that, but not agitatively so like Stormy Six or Mamma Non Pangiere. Singstress Francoise Godard delivers satirical images in a timbre of fascinating warmth; she does not in any way yield traditions, standards or rules engaged to merely mark adherence. As for the music as such, it's sophisticated and definitely tending to theatrical antics - still never as simple animation or "concept". This is obviously a narrative album, but there's just as obviously that message again, not only in words but the very vibe of mood to permeat the whole run.

Not a classic, but deserving of far more attention and acclaim.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Don't know if this fits in this thread, but I just heard No Harmony from Klidas which is called Experimental Rock by its promotor. Released on Bird's Robe Records (known for their postrock-albums) on June 2nd.

Does Picchio dal Pozzo count as Italian R.I.O?

We will have a interesting and kind of usual improvisational concert from 2004 from them out in July…
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

We will have a interesting and kind of usual improvisational concert from 2004 from them out in July…

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Oh my! Yes please.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Not new, but a favourite from the 80s.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I've been listening to this one now for two years by way of my download from YT, and I'd dare say it's the single finest Italian 70s progressive record never reissued that -I- know of.

You TRULY grow connected to the immensely intimate domain of fervour apparent here; they're as melodic as they're reckless and odd - but still they're first and foremost just tremendously human and diligent at channelling a message. It's obviously a farce of sorts, set to illustrate tacklings of fate through various situations and episodes somehow entangled during recurrent tonal/lyrical motifs surrounding 'Alice'.

Although vaguely reminiscent of fairly few artists within the greater bin of "fringe" progressive (be it RIO or Canterbury mold), Gramigna are reasonably easy on the ear and all the more rewarding for undercurrents of finesse and distinction. Nothing here is neither grating nor excessive; it's all direct-and-to-the-point or indeed back to point. They're folky and densely commanding at that, but not agitatively so like Stormy Six or Mamma Non Pangiere. Singstress Francoise Godard delivers satirical images in a timbre of fascinating warmth; she does not in any way yield traditions, standards or rules engaged to merely mark adherence. As for the music as such, it's sophisticated and definitely tending to theatrical antics - still never as simple animation or "concept". This is obviously a narrative album, but there's just as obviously that message again, not only in words but the very vibe of mood to permeat the whole run.

Not a classic, but deserving of far more attention and acclaim.

Thanks, really enjoyable stuff.

Along with SSix's Macchina the very definition of it, I'd say.

And fwiw Camere remains one of my fave archival issues by anyone ever. It absolutely sits safeside in between their two "regular" (and tremendously phenomenal) studio releases from back then and should count accordingly, IMHO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

does anyone know if Altrock (Fading) Records is back again??? They released an album in late 2022 (by Hidden Parts)

Somebody bought the label so it's not the original guys.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Somebody bought the label so it's not the original guys.
    If they keep up the spirit that's more than ok with me

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    If they keep up the spirit that's more than ok with me
    Debatable…
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Debatable…
    Of course i want Marcello (?) back but that won't happen :-(