Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big 5 band I stopped listening to years ago.

I agree.

However, I know people who only own Piper, Saucerful and Relics
    Then other people who only own WYWH, Animals and The Wall.

PF is lots of different bands to different people.

I would say Piper is still my favourite psych album by anyone. And the mono mix was truly a revelation to me when I first heard it- lots of differences and a much more rounded, complete sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I would say Piper is still my favourite psych album by anyone. And the mono mix was truly a revelation to me when I first heard it- lots of differences and a much more rounded, complete sound.
    I agree with all of that. One or two Hawkwind albums runs it quite close though.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I agree.

However, I know people who only own Piper, Saucerful and Relics
    Then other people who only own WYWH, Animals and The Wall.
    Saucerful, Meddle, Animals - CD
    Ummagumma, Atom Heart, Wall - Vinyl

And I hardly ever listen to any of 'em.

Late Pink Floyd ( after WYWH) - stopped listen
    Henry Cow - very rare listen to
    Camel - very rare listen
    Collins era Genesis - very rare
    Late Jethro Tull ( after Stormwatch - listen only occasionally.
    Late Yes - albums after Drama I listen to very rare. Usually I give one spin to their regular new album, and that's all.

Many of my big 5, or 10 I don't listen to very much anymore.

Not that I don't still rate them highly, I do. But I am just so familiar with them, that I rarely have to listen to them.

But if someone were to ask me to name my big whatever bands, some of the bands I don't listen to anymore, would still make the list. No matter how familiar I am with them, that doesn't detract from the quality of their music.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

You know she's actually Georgie Born's cousin, right? For real? They should've formed a blonde duo, I think; Olivia & Georgina

You know what the best thing about that movie was? The special effects. Totally cutting edge, pre-CGI special effects that still look awesome today. But I swear, every time I see that shot of Michael Beck skating into the wall with the mural on it, I keep hoping he'll go splat all over the wall instead of disappearing into the mural. Michael Beck said the movie Warriors opened a lot of doors for him, "and every last one of them was slammed shut by Xanadu". (shrug)

I still listen to the „biggies“, although there’s no discernible “usage pattern".

For example, I listened to Yes’ catalog ad nauseam as a teen in the late 80s and then lost interest for almost 15 years. The last few years they’ve made a “comeback”, partly due to the reissues, and I now enjoy them more than ever; same with King Crimson, Jethro Tull and ELP.

I never listened much to Pink Floyd growing up (save for Piper), but now I treasure their spacy pre-Dark Side oeuvre immensely. Also, some of the Canterbury “biggies” are actually new to me: Caravan, Hatfield & the North and National Health are bands I only discovered recently, and it’s been a real pleasure.

One of my professors, a Chinese expat, used to say: “By studying the old, we learn the new.” To which I always replied: “Lookback bore!” But maybe he was right after all…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    I actually had to look up Georgina Born on Wiki, only to notice that she’s on two albums I have.

That would have been a kick-ass duo!
    Indeed. I can’t think of an ONJ song that couldn’t have been improved by a crazy-ass cello solo!

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    This might be a good place to pose the question: how does Neil Peart pronounce his surname?

I always assumed it was "pert", by analogy with "pearl". A friend of mine however pronounced it "part" by analogy with "heart". Which is correct? Or is it like "Pearce", with the "ear" bit pronounced the same as the organ of hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    This might be a good place to pose the question: how does Neil Peart pronounce his surname?

I always assumed it was "pert", by analogy with "pearl". A friend of mine however pronounced it "part" by analogy with "heart". Which is correct? Or is it like "Pearce", with the "ear" bit pronounced the same as the organ of hearing?
    Coincidence or what!
    Yesterday in a record shop, a friend and I were discussing our favourite Rush albums, when he said "Peart's announced his retirement now" I said "yea, I know, I read that". He then said, "by the way is it pair-t or peer-t" I said, "pair-t, I think"

Because of the spelling I've always said pair-t, because of how we pronounce the fruit. Surely if it was pronounced Peert it would be spelled like that....or?

Three possible options I can see then:
    Pair-t
    Purt/Pert
    Peer-t

I can't see how anyone can get Part out of it though.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Coincidence or what!
    Yesterday in a record shop, a friend and I were discussing our favourite Rush albums, when he said "Peart's announced his retirement now" I said "yea, I know, I read that". He then said, "by the way is it pair-t or peer-t" I said, "pair-t, I think"

Because of the spelling I've always said pair-t, because of how we pronounce the fruit. Surely if it was pronounced Peert it would be spelled like that....or?

Three possible options I can see then:
    Pair-t
    Purt/Pert
    Peer-t

I can't see how anyone can get Part out of it though.
    As I said, the analogy is with the word "Heart".

Anyway i checked on Wikipedia, and if my understanding of the phonetic notation is correct, the name is pronounced "Peer-t".

Aside from this 'Peart' jam, Pearl Jam is a band that I haven't listened to anymore in almost ten years, btw the only release I used to listen to was their debut album 'TEN', a lot of times.
    Neil Peart is one I always regard highly when it comes to hearing amazing Rock drumming, never heard him live unfortunately, and now sure never more...
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

That analogy doesn't work though because Pear and Hear don't rhyme, but pear/pair and hare/hair do.

Anyway i checked on Wikipedia, and if my understanding of the phonetic notation is correct, the name is pronounced "Peer-t".
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Somewhere on this board, or the previous version, Bob Drake explains the YES quotes on Crisis in Clay.
    Cant find it though

As far as I remember its on "What Price Virtue?" there is a Steve Howe quote on a steelguitar which sounds Howe something he did on "The Ancient"
    Yep it's on What Price Virtue. It happened when I was getting a guitar tone for what was to be a guitar solo, over that same bass and drum groove which is going on earlier in the song. Just messing about with the guitar and amp sound I picked up a slide and made a few noises. Dave Kerman immediately said "That's great, do that, it sounds like THE ANCIENT!" So right then we decided to make the whole solo into a jokey homage to The Ancient, with the bass and drums accents with the cowbells and everything. Dave ran out to the garage where the microphone was set up and said "lemme do a Jon Anderson-like tamborine part!" Then (keyboardist) Sanjay sighed and said "Well I guess this means I have to learn a version of that ridiculous Mellotron vibe part too." and we said "yeah, it does." That whole middle bit of the song is in 4/4 too, so our rhythm is "wrong" which we also thought was "funny".

BD
    www.bdrak.com

That's about the way I pronounce ...and everybody else did in Toronto in the late 70's & 80's
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That's about the way I pronounce ...and everybody else did in Toronto in the late 70's & 80's
    And they were all wrong.

On R40 he is introduced as sounding like Peer-t.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    On R40 he is introduced as sounding like Peer-t.
    How do you pronounce the hyphen?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    Yep it's on What Price Virtue. It happened when I was getting a guitar tone for what was to be a guitar solo, over that same bass and drum groove which is going on earlier in the song. Just messing about with the guitar and amp sound I picked up a slide and made a few noises. Dave Kerman immediately said "That's great, do that, it sounds like THE ANCIENT!" So right then we decided to make the whole solo into a jokey homage to The Ancient, with the bass and drums accents with the cowbells and everything. Dave ran out to the garage where the microphone was set up and said "lemme do a Jon Anderson-like tamborine part!" Then (keyboardist) Sanjay sighed and said "Well I guess this means I have to learn a version of that ridiculous Mellotron vibe part too." and we said "yeah, it does." That whole middle bit of the song is in 4/4 too, so our rhythm is "wrong" which we also thought was "funny".

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Thanks !

Don't listen to ELP at all.
    Others rarely but doesn't mean I don't like them, just a reminder here and there though.

Much of my music I listen to, I hear again for the first time as most purchases of the last ten years are either mostly instrumental or have vocals in a language I don't understand. It adds to the discovery factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I've never even heard Piper. Maybe I'm missing out on something here.
    One of the top 3 psychedelic albums of all times (the others being Forever Changes and The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Occasionally spin The Lamb but anything else sounds too dated. Will listen to the live Hackett revisited if I get an urge though as he breathed new life into a lot of the songs!

Can't remember the last time I played a PF album though I intend to buy RW's The Wall on Blu-ray.

Stopped listening to King Crimson after the first five albums. Nothing that came after had the same impact.
    Last edited by Rufus; 12-27-2015 at 06:50 AM.