Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Yes albums after 90125- How Do They Rate?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The Elias interview is great, but that's mainly because of Elias's willingness to be open and the cooperation of Haun in making the interview happen. I deserve little credit!

Of course, he has his own perspective. In defence of that perspective, it seems worth pointing out that the album before and possibly the one after used session musicians as well. On ABWH, Anderson used Clifford and McDonald to record some of the keys and guitar parts respectively. On Talk, one report has that Rabin got Sherwood to secretly record much of the bass and drums. So Union isn't an exception all alone.

Henry
    I'd go even further and suggest that Union is not so much a Yes album but a Jon Anderson album featuring members of Yes. It's funny that everyone hates on Elias (who was just trying to get something marketable out of this mess) while glossing over Jon's role as the mastermind in this whole thing. I'm going to take a guess and say that if Jon hadn't wanted session musicians on Unions, there wouldn't be any. A lot easier to do that than constantly argue with Steve Howe over every little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I'd go even further and suggest that Union is not so much a Yes album but a Jon Anderson album featuring members of Yes.
    Maybe true for most of the album but the Trevor Rabin songs and the Squire/Sherwood song stand out as completely apart from JA.

I just noticed "Miracle of Life" is 7:30 long. It didn't occur to me that there was mini epic on Union.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I just noticed "Miracle of Life" is 7:30 long. It didn't occur to me that there was mini epic on Union.
    "Miracle of Life" is a very cool song, but it's not really an epic. It's kind of similar to "Final Eyes", with a nice Yes-y instrumental into. But the main song itself is little more than pleasant pop rock that doesn't really go anywhere. And the length is deceiving in that the last two minutes are simply the chorus changes on recycle. That said, it's still one of the better tracks on Union, IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    "Miracle of Life" is a very cool song, but it's not really an epic. It's kind of similar to "Final Eyes", with a nice Yes-y instrumental into. But the main song itself is little more than pleasant pop rock that doesn't really go anywhere. And the length is deceiving in that the last two minutes are simply the chorus changes on recycle. That said, it's still one of the better tracks on Union, IMO.
    I was joking about it being at all an epic, which is why I stated it as a "mini-epic." Still, I was surprised that it was 7 minutes and 30 seconds long for some reason. I think your explanation about the end repeating explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I'd go even further and suggest that Union is not so much a Yes album but a Jon Anderson album featuring members of Yes. It's funny that everyone hates on Elias (who was just trying to get something marketable out of this mess) while glossing over Jon's role as the mastermind in this whole thing. I'm going to take a guess and say that if Jon hadn't wanted session musicians on Unions, there wouldn't be any. A lot easier to do that than constantly argue with Steve Howe over every little thing.
    Not everyone.

There's a reason why I roll my eyes at the "No Jon, No Yes" morons.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not everyone.

There's a reason why I roll my eyes at the "No Jon, No Yes" morons.
    well you can roll your eyes all you want---but other than Drama it's sorta true---there's very little essential important Yes music--that doesn't include JA.
    Sure there's Yes music but lot's of it isn't important. But even stuff like the horrible corny Miracle of Life has JA but isn't very good/interesting music. But most of the Yes west stuff on Union is just terrible schlocky stuff the ABWH stuff is more interesting music

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    well you can roll your eyes all you want---but other than Drama it's sorta true---there's very little essential important Yes music--that doesn't include JA.
    Sure there's Yes music but lot's of it isn't important. But even stuff like the horrible corny Miracle of Life has JA but isn't very good/interesting music. But most of the Yes west stuff on Union is just terrible schlocky stuff the ABWH stuff is more interesting music
    But, Anderson's presence doesn't make it "essential important Yes music," as things like Open Your Eyes and much of what's maligned on The Ladder attest.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    But most of the Yes west stuff on Union is just terrible schlocky stuff the ABWH stuff is more interesting music
    I agree. "I Would Have Waited Forever" and "Shock to the System" is classic Yes.

Shock!! to the system!!

dear Lord...