Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midnight Oil. Any fans here?

My favorite track from that album is "Antartica".
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

In a series of tweets Midnight oil announced:

We’re grieving the loss of our brother Bones Hillman, who has passed away at his home in Milwaukee today after a cancer battle. He was the bassist with the beautiful voice, the band member with the wicked sense of humour, and our brilliant musical comrade.
    Bones joined Midnight Oil way back in 1987 after stints in various Kiwi bands, most notably, The Swingers. He played and sang on every Midnight Oil recording since Blue Sky Mining and we did thousands of gigs together.
    We will deeply miss our dear friend and companion and we send our sincerest sympathies to Denise, who has been a tower of strength for him. Haere rā Bonesy from Jim, Martin, Peter & Rob.

Bones was born in Auckland, New Zealand as Wayne Stevens in May 1958. He changed his name to Himman after the make of car he drove. Bones was a member of New Zealand band The Swingers. They had the 1981 number one hit ‘Counting The Beat’. The Swingers relocated to Melbourne in 1980. Bones lived in Australia until 2002 before relocating to Nashville, then Milwaukee. In 1987 he replaced Peter Gifford as bass player of Midnight Oil. His first album with Midnight Oil was ‘Blue Sky Mining’ featuring the hits ‘Blue Sky Mine’. Bones most recent album with Midnight Oil was 2020’s ‘The Makarrata Project, released on 30 October.

Man, that track kicks serious ass
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Sad to read that about Bones Hillman. The Oils are one of my favorite non-Prog, non-Folk artists, and it's sad to see time attriting them now too.

I was wondering what the situation was with Bones as there have been recent Oils publicity photos featuring only the four remaining members. I didn't for one minute consider that Bones might be ill. I was extremely surprised and saddened to hear of his death. A great player with a beautiful voice and, by all accounts, a very nice person.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

A girl took me to see them back in the mid 80's, they were cool had a few hits... I recall the singer was a lawyer prior to being in the band...

Sad.

But, yeah, what a great track. I'll have to get that longplayer.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    A girl took me to see them back in the mid 80's, they were cool had a few hits... I recall the singer was a lawyer prior to being in the band...
    He was also elected of the Australian House Of Representatives for a term or two. Garrett has led a very full life.

I pulled out "Blue Sky Mining" today for the first time in years. Bone's background (and occasional lead) vocals are a big part of many of the songs on that album. Songs like "One Country" and "River Runs Red" would not be the same without his vocals. He was a very good bass player too. Saw the band live on the Blue Sky Mining tour and it remains one of my favorite live shows ever.