Page 331 of 402 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335341381 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,275 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

God the Islanders are boring to watch...but they play that defensive style perfectly and certainly looked miles better in terms of any sort of structure. Rangers looked so sloppy and nervous in the 1st period, played a better 2nd where they got robbed of a goal and the 3rd was trap city...zzzzzzzzzzz

Hopin' for a better game tonight
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I thought this was pretty funny. Not sure about the history with these two, but Larry Brooks is a reporter here that can get similar reactions

I guess Voracek must have played for Torts at some point.

Wow. I've been an Islander fan since 1975 and this is one of the worst games I've ever seen them play. Except for Lee and Nelson, nobody showed up. No spark, no hustle. Could count the tape to tape passes on one hand. Make 'em walk home.
    Last edited by Tangram; 01-16-2021 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I thought this was pretty funny. Not sure about the history with these two, but Larry Brooks is a reporter here that can get similar reactions

No clichés here! Funny, but someone is gonna hear from the commissioner.

This playoff type schedule is wild. We pretty much handled the Ducks in game one but they made adjustments and almost pulled out a 1-0 shutout but we got that late goal then Pacioretty scored 7 seconds into OT. It will be interesting to see how these next four go against Phoenix, two here then two there.

There were only five teams that went 2-0 and I don't know if that means anything as we'll have to wait and see but this is a totally different season than any we've known before except last year.

These two and four game series against the same teams has got to make a difference. I didn't notice much difference in the two games except Gibson was on the second game and the two goals weren't really his fault.

Probably a bit more fighting and penalties although the first two VGK games, so far, produced almost no penalties. A little getting to know you face washes in game two but that was about it.

I'm not a X and O type of hockey guy so whatever they did almost worked and will probably be tried not only by them but by everyone else to slow us down. We'll see how good a coach DeBoer is now that he's in charge of a highly favored team to win it all. Somehow, he failed last season to get the guys up after the Vancouver fiasco which carried on into the Conference Final against Dallas. This five defenseman strategy, even though it's for cap reasons, might blow up in his face.

I can only hope not. Dudes are going to have to work hard.

Ok, watching this Caps/Pens game, total optical illusion going on with this one. It's all about camera angles and the overhead is out. Wow, that so looked out but now it looks like it's in. I don't know how they are going to call this one....waiting....GOAL! Never seen a goal like that. Copperfield couldn't have done better with that one. That was so clearly out on so many angles yet that one.....just wow.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

3 on 3 hockey sucks.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

For OT, it works for me. Obviously, your mileage varies.

So I didn't know they were using new pucks with tech in them to be tracked and they have had to ditch that. Players say the new pucks suck. "Terrible" and "don't slide".

Learn something new everyday.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Caps have lost four prominent Russian players including Alex for the next four games due to Covid.

I wouldn't want it for the whole game, but I absolutely love the 3-on-3 in OT.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I wouldn't want it for the whole game, but I absolutely love the 3-on-3 in OT.
    Totally agree. Especially watching it live...doesn't get any more thrilling than that.

Fuck I miss live things...

Anything that helps cut down on shootouts is ok with me. Worst way to decide a game ever.

The eons are closing
    There's a flaw in all the systems, but I think moving to 3pt for win, 1 for ties and dropping OT is way to go.

Holding serve at home becomes more important and stealing pts (or win!) on the road a differentiator.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    CBJ and the Jets swappin' disgruntled players!

Didn't realize Laine was such a goal scorer since his debut.

Where you watch your Hockey in the USA is getting an overhaul. (Unless you watch local TV.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...21/6678669002/

just checked out (by curiosity) the NHL site and saw the new season has started

So what do you guys and gal think about the new divisions and schedules? Definitely going to get sick of seeing the same teams over and over, but hopefully it will lead to some good, angry, hard-nosed, rivalry hockey. Ultimately I'm just glad to have hockey back...really hopin it works out.
    It's worth a try, and I'm game at following it from across the pond.
    What worries me is that the four division will not have an idea how they rank up against the other divisions' general level, so this could produce huge and humiliating differences once they do meet in the playoffs' final rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. I mean, every game the Oilers are going to play is a game against an opponent that I would make a special effort to watch them play. Going to be interesting to see how things develop over the course of the 56 games for each team too as some are playing natural/longtime rivals anyway but now they get a slew of games against teams that aren't even been in the same conference as they would normally be.
    56 "regular season" games schedule sounds a bit too ambitious, given the mid-jan starting date and the playoffs ensuing . Personally I'd have tried more like +/- 40 regular season games

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    With only 56 games, every game is going to count. Playing the same teams over and over again might get redundant, but at least we will have hockey to watch.
    way too young to have witnessed the six-teams NHL, but I guess those rivalries were very intense

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Also, how are the playoffs working? Which divisions are they combining/which divisions have a chance to play against each other for the cup? In as weird a year as this is going to be, I would like to see a matchup that we would otherwise never get.
    As I said above, there will be no way to know if the division's general internal levels will be competitive against the others, and this could create blowouts during the playoffs that are not suitable (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm kinda psyched for an all Canadian division. At least we know that four Canadian teams will make the playoffs.
    I wished that for a few years, cos indeed the Cdn tax scheme are making it impossible for canadian teams to compete with the US in terms of players salary but also team profit margins.

There are no details about where the semi-final round will be. Hopefully, by the time we get there the world will be in a better place and maybe borders will be, at least, partially open.
    then again, starring a season with not-yet finalised championship rules can be unsettling, especially if there are geographical lobbying happening to set the last rounds.

I was just looking at the Leafs schedule. It looks like the NHL is taking the MLB approach of playing games in a series. I see a lot of two and three night stands, I'm assuming to minimize travel for both cost and safety reasons.
    this is interesting (double headers, but not triple, IMHO) but also not really equitable, though. Cos let's say that TOR is in a momentary rut while playing three games CAL at home and get routed (or even simply losing) in all three games, they won't have a shot at catching them up in the standings if they don't meet them again later in the season, once they're in a better shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I might actually pay attention to hockey for the first time in over 20 years (lost interest with 30 teams, 3-point games, shootouts, overtime, low scoring, cookie-cutter goaltending, etc) because the divisions and schedule are intriguing. It's like having four separate "Original 6" divisions of 8 teams. And playing the same team twice in a row in the same arena is not new - the World Hockey Association did that in the 70's to save on travel costs as they were in markets like Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Phoenix and Texas before the NHL ever was.
    TBH, over the years (and my being on the other side of the pond), all these changes have slowly got the better of my interest. I was most enthoused with the 21 team league and balanced schedule (4 games against every team) that was in force back then.
    Of course part of my interest waning is that the Cup hasn't returned home in almost 30 years. I guess a Florida (historical ice hockey heartland) team winning it finally totally disgusted me from it all.
    FTM, I don't even know what was decided of last year's standings (if anyone is willing to fill me in)

BTW: Not sure I remember all the WHA teams you cited, and at first glance, the Nords and Whalers are missing in your list

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    great to see the new names of the new divisions

not
    Actually Scotia North is cool, but the others are not

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    3 on 3 hockey sucks.
    what's this 3on3? is it in the fantasy league?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    j
    what's this 3on3? is it in the fantasy league?
    Overtime in the NHL is a five-minute period of 3 on 3. if a game is still tied after the five minutes a shootout decides the winner.

...done in the name of trying to avoid the skills competition decision.

The eons are closing
    Yup - a bad idea to prevent the occurrence of an even worse idea

...done in the name of trying to avoid the skills competition decision.
    And a good one, I think. Certainly not a fan of 3-on-3 but I'd much rather see a game end that way than by shootout.

And a good one, I think. Certainly not a fan of 3-on-3 but I'd much rather see a game end that way than by shootout.
    Caps have already had three shoot out games out of six, that's not hockey.

The eons are closing
    Sometimes the correct score is a tie.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

Yup, hate the shootouts during the regular season, though in the playoffs after the two OT periods, it was the right solution

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    absolutely... ACnd I hatye the victory at 3 pts... the 2-1-0 scale was the good one.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, hate the shootouts during the regular season, though in the playoffs after the two OT periods, it was the right solution
    That's not how it works in the postseason for the NHL. OT in the playoffs is 5 on 5 until someone scores, as it should be. No 3 on 3, no shootouts. Admittedly not realistic for the regular season but OT in the Stanley Cup Playoffs is one of the best things in sports, period.