Page 2 of 402 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

I'm not the hockey fan i used to be, but i'm happy there'll be a season.In the past few years i'd rarely watch an entire regular season game, saving my enthusiasm for the playoffs, where i'd shift into high gear.There's nothing quite like the passion, velocity and drama of playoff hockey.

I also dig watching/hearing Doc Emrick do Devils and NBC games.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I've seen you mention preferring a 60 game season of which I agree. That's nowhere near 50?

Well, no - it's 20% more.

And really, it's not the number of games, it's the principle that "we can still get some money out of the fans' wallets with a 50-game season!"

I'm just sick of the greed.

Again, I'll watch, I'll root, I'll cheer, etc. I'm a fan - that's what we do. But I'm sick of being taken advantage of, and I'm sick of being taken for granted.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I believe it will be 48 games, starting Januray 19. I also believe that all 48 games will be played within one's conference to limit the travelling.

Go Habs! Nowhere to go but up!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The eons are closing
    Damn you Gary Bettman!
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Though Bettman does deserves some of our derision, he's the mouthpiece of the owners. They locked out and got a deal they can live with...for now. TSN (Canadian equivalent of ESPN) had extensive coverage of the agreement yesterday. Essentially, the players caved on many points of contention, according to some players interviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    .There's nothing quite like the passion, velocity and drama of playoff hockey.
    This year they may go right into playoffs...

a 48-game schedule is almost like an extended Round Robin tournament. I think this is going to be very exciting!

One cool thing about this is that all of those "peripheral people" - the vendors, arena staff, etc. - are all back to work.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    a 48-game schedule is almost like an extended Round Robin tournament. I think this is going to be very exciting!
    All in conference rivals too. I agree!

Hey Mudshark...I hate to add to your Islander woes, but I'm hearing Visnovsky may stay in the KHL? Is this true??
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

That's actually a good point. One my beefs with Hockey is that the regular season is almost irrelevant and the playoffs run way too long. They should reduce the number of teams that make it to the playoffs so that the regular season is more meaningful. Depending on how they organize this season and the playoffs, it could be quite exciting. Or...they could still try to cash in as much as they can and playoffs could run into July.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    That's actually a good point. One my beefs with Hockey is that the regular season is almost irrelevant and the playoffs run way too long. They should reduce the number of teams that make it to the playoffs so that the regular season is more meaningful. Depending on how they organize this season and the playoffs, it could be quite exciting. Or...they could still try to cash in as much as they can and playoffs could run into July.
    Totally agree, Esther.

And when it comes to this lot, always expect the "cash in" option.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyNational View Post
    Potvin sucks.
    Oh man, try listening to his monotone for three periods of "analysis". He's got to be the worst hockey analyst ever, but he's got a job for life in Ottawa because he's from here and he was a god in Junior for the 67s.

Hey Mudshark...I hate to add to your Islander woes, but I'm hearing Visnovsky may stay in the KHL? Is this true??
    Sergei Gonchar (Ottawa Senators) was threatening the same thing. The rumour here is that he will be traded back to the Penguins to finish his career there.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Oh man, try listening to his monotone for three periods of "analysis". He's got to be the worst hockey analyst ever, but he's got a job for life in Ottawa because he's from here and he was a god in Junior for the 67s.
    This is why I listen to hockey en français...

He cannot be worse than Pierre Maguire !

I'm hearing Visnovsky may stay in the KHL? Is this true??
    I'm wondering how many other guys will elect to stay in Europe.

This is why I listen to hockey en français...

He cannot be worse than Pierre Maguire !
    No one is worse than Maguire.

Ray Ferraro comes close..

Ray Ferraro comes close..
    Ferraro comes off like Millen - this stuff is JUST SO IMPORTANT!!!

Maguire needs to take some muscle relaxants, or Prozac. He's wound up way too tight.

The problem with Potvin (aside from his sleep inducing monotone) is the fact that he does zero preparation. So all he does is improvise during the game. There's no background, nothing is planned in advance.

Hey, he's the Jazz Hockey Analyst. I take it all back

The worst BY FAR are Jack Edwards in Boston and Bob Errey in Pitt. Every teams announcers have a bit of homer in them, but these two take it to a whole otherworldly level.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The French announcers are homers but they are also very quick to criticize the Habs when needed. Their audience is made up of very knowledgeable fans so they never need to dummy it down. They also have a monopoly on Habs broadcasts in French, so they don't need to pander to the audience. Colour men like Mario Tremblay and Benoit Brunet are some of the best in the biz, imo...

The eons are closing
    Does he want to stay in the KHL? Of course he does; he wants his mama to make his bed, wipe his ass and generally tell him what he wants to hear.
    Now...he will play in the NHL or he will not likely play in the KHL given the two leagues general 'respect' for contracts, etc.
    http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...hc-slovan-khl/

A fun article from Puck Daddy with some of the player's Tweets after the negotiations were over. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...1557--nhl.html

The eons are closing
    One of ESPN's five teams that need a fast start to the shortened NHL season:

#3 of 5
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    Only one team, Toronto, has been held out of the playoffs every year since the 2004-05 lockout. The offseason created only more questions for the Leafs as critics continued to decry the team's lack of depth down the middle and the lack of NHL-caliber goaltending. If the Leafs can get out of the gate in solid fashion and build themselves a cushion, it will go a long way to ending this streak of futility.
    I guess Burnside knew the Isles and fast starts are not compatible.

I really have no clue how the Habs will answer the bell. We have a new head coach that will hardly have any time with his players, to try and implement any sort of new philosophy, before the games start counting. Carey Price, keep us in games please!!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    This year they may go right into playoffs...
    Without interconference games they essentially are.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

This is a question I had as well...

Are all the people who bolted to other hockey leagues allowed to come back? (And I suppose will they is another question altogether...) By this remark it seems like an affirmative answer...which is good.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.