Page 373 of 403 FirstFirst ... 273323363369370371372373374375376377383 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,325 of 10055

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I didn't see it. I thought Kadri got stone walled, but got the rebound left of the net and got off a bad angle shot from there which was also stopped. Then his teammates started rushing towards him, and then the penny dropped.
    I'm surprised the ref missed it he's like 15 feet away. then again maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Although we were getting our asses kicked in OT, and the Avs likely would have scored eventually, the play shouldn’t have counted.

The number of players Tampa had on the ice is irrelevant, as is the Colorado guy heading to the bench. They did not impact play. You can’t take a snapshot and circle the players who are still touching the ice, claiming too many men. That type of change is allowable and accepted.

The issue was Kadri leaving the bench and receiving/playing the puck, and thereby impacting the game, before his man was off. You can’t do that in hockey - that’s precisely where refs normally call too many men. Hell, I’ve sat for two minutes twice in my life for doing just that.

Isles fans will claim that the Bolts were beneficiaries of a similar Yanni Gourde goal last year. And they’d be right.

Anyway, we look tired and beat up against a great Avs team, so little hope is left. We kicked ass in the first half of the game but didn’t get the lead we needed, and then faded. Hope we have some Adrenalin left but...

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Although we were getting our asses kicked in OT, and the Avs likely would have scored eventually, the play shouldn’t have counted.

The number of players Tampa had on the ice is irrelevant, as is the Colorado guy heading to the bench. They did not impact play. You can’t take a snapshot and circle the players who are still touching the ice, claiming too many men. That type of change is allowable and accepted.

The issue was Kadri leaving the bench and receiving/playing the puck, and thereby impacting the game, before his man was off. You can’t do that in hockey - that’s precisely where refs normally call too many men. Hell, I’ve sat for two minutes twice in my life for doing just that.

Isles fans will claim that the Bolts were beneficiaries of a similar Yanni Gourde goal last year. And they’d be right.

Anyway, we look tired and beat up against a great Avs team, so little hope is left. We kicked ass in the first half of the game but didn’t get the lead we needed, and then faded. Hope we have some Adrenalin left but...
    As Steelers fans would always say if your team can't overcome all the horrible officiating that helped the Steelers win your team didn't deserve to win the game.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    As Steelers fans would always say if your team can't overcome all the horrible officiating that helped the Steelers win your team didn't deserve to win the game.
    Yeah, it’s always the losing team that got jobbed by the refs. Weird how that happens.

Seemed like the refs put their whistles away in the 3rd and on. Saw a lot of hooking and grabbing.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    So... (written w/ 1:00 left 2nd period game 5)

during Game 4 - I had come to accept that the Lightning were truly worthy of the real "dynasty" term and during period 3 began to actively root for Bolts - so OT was actually painful.

IIRC correctly - first team to even go to 3 in a row since 80s Oilers (85-87 2wins) nevermind the opportunity to win 3...

period over - hope it goes onto game 6.

Always have had mad respect for Bolts. This team, from afar, is still the Team that Stevie Y built. Stevie Y is my fave non Islander player of all time and if Lou had not come to NY - they should have gone after him.

[emoji298] (a lightning bolt just for Klonk's knowledge!)

Now the rant -

the dynasty dig was somewhat in response to the NHL / Times a Changing advert "starting" with The 'Great One' - rather than any 70s Habs player of choice handing to Potvin then... Hockey did not start with Wayne and none of the handsoffs afterwards are dynasties of any type. IMO - Red Wings are more of a dynasty than any team aside from Oilers in that commercial and I did not see them featured.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    So... (written w/ 1:00 left 2nd period game 5)

during Game 4 - I had come to accept that the Lightning were truly worthy of the real "dynasty" term and during period 3 began to actively root for Bolts - so OT was actually painful.

IIRC correctly - first team to even go to 3 in a row since 80s Oilers (85-87 2wins) nevermind the opportunity to win 3...

period over - hope it goes onto game 6.

Always have had mad respect for Bolts. This team, from afar, is still the Team that Stevie Y built. Stevie Y is my fave non Islander player of all time and if Lou had not come to NY - they should have gone after him.

[emoji298] (a lightning bolt just for Klonk's knowledge!)

Now the rant -

the dynasty dig was somewhat in response to the NHL / Times a Changing advert "starting" with The 'Great One' - rather than any 70s Habs player of choice handing to Potvin then... Hockey did not start with Wayne and none of the handsoffs afterwards are dynasties of any type. IMO - Red Wings are more of a dynasty than any team aside from Oilers in that commercial and I did not see them featured.

I thought you were anti eastern conference? But I definitely agree Tampa is worthy. Personally I just can't cheer for a hockey team from sunny Florida..fuck that! I also can't stand Corey Perry and Pat Maroon...fuck them! I want to see Nathan McKinnon get a cup.

That 3rd period last night was incredible.

The eons are closing
    I am anti eastern conference! lol
    And I am definitely not a fan of the Ultra Maroon!

But this team is different for sure....

Congrats to the Avs. Entertaining series, 2 great teams.

Tampa is still a legit dynasty, and Colorado might be back here next year.

Congrats to the Avs for the new world record. Dented the Stanley Cup 5 minutes after having it!

And Congrats for a great season and also to the Bolts for their 3rd straight trip to the finals.

PS - Isles prospect William Dufour, MVP of the QMJHL, scored 4 goals to put his team in the Memorial Cup playoffs. Bring on the new season!!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Avs are definitely deserving champions. Even with those two blowouts, it was a fun series.

Sad that hockey is now over until october. But it was a fun ride.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Congrats to Colorado...well deserved. Kuemper who had a shakey playoffs came up big when it counted. He made some great saves at the end there after getting almost no action the entire 3rd.

I have to say that I'm so glad this whole annoying Pat Maroon Cup streak is over. So tired of hearing about that...the dude is a lucky plug. And a streak that makes me smile...Corey Perry playing in the Cup finals 3 years in a row with 3 different teams gets his 3rd loss

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I have to say that I'm so glad this whole annoying Pat Maroon Cup streak is over. So tired of hearing about that...the dude is a lucky plug. And a streak that makes me smile...Corey Perry playing in the Cup finals 3 years in a row with 3 different teams gets his 3rd loss [emoji38]
    https://y.yarn.co/0b6db3a8-81b6-48c0...a9cc7_text.gif
    Last edited by MudShark22; 06-27-2022 at 11:38 AM.

The eons are closing
    Again - this was feeling like the 1st Oilers Isles final to me - thought the Avs were "ready" but that the Bolts were going to delay it one more year and claim the true dynasty mantle!

Congrats to the Avs for sure. Trés impressive!

16102 is one of my favorite attachments.

The eons are closing
    God damnit!

Avs were deserving.

Bolts have to re-tool with a bit more speed. Not too much on the farm though since they mortgaged their first rounders until, I believe, 2040. A healthy Point will help. I want Gourde back too.

As a Red Wings fan I find it very hard to root for Colorado, but congrats to them. They were definitely the dominate team this year.

BTW the Red Wings / Colorado ESPN documentary came out last Sunday. I have it DVR'd, but have not had the chance to watch it yet.

Now the wait to see who the Red Wings will finally name as new head coach. Rumors have one of Tampa Bay's assistants as a possible candidate among others. They certainly are taking their time with this pick.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Some of you who were fans of the Red Wings or Colorado back in the late 90's / early 00's might be interested in this new documentary coming from ESPN. Being a Red Wings fan I remember it well. Every time these two teams played it was a war. Both teams won Stanley Cup's and they hated each others guts.

Watched this yesterday, and while I really enjoyed it I have two issues:

1) I don't want to sound crass, and I absolutely feel for him but...I understand Vladdy's accident was a big deal (and it sounds like it was a hell of an accident) but spending so much time on it felt strange in a documentary on a rivalry between two teams. It kind of bogged down about this point and felt like they could have spent some of that time on the the next couple of seasons.

2) My biggest complaint is at the end when they said watch an extended version on ESPN plus. Wtf is that shit. If they wanted to make this an espn plus exclusive just do that...don't put a castrated version on tv. Has anyone watched the extended version? If so, how extended is it? Is the new stuff interspersed throughout or is it all at the end (like a part II or coda)? Do they get into their playoff series in the other years after the TV documentary ends (with the Wings 98 victory)?

But overall a fun show that did well with what it actually did do.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Watched this yesterday, and while I really enjoyed it I have two issues:

1) I don't want to sound crass, and I absolutely feel for him but...I understand Vladdy's accident was a big deal (and it sounds like it was a hell of an accident) but spending so much time on it felt strange in a documentary on a rivalry between two teams. It kind of bogged down about this point and felt like they could have spent some of that time on the the next couple of seasons.

2) My biggest complaint is at the end when they said watch an extended version on ESPN plus. Wtf is that shit. If they wanted to make this an espn plus exclusive just do that...don't put a castrated version on tv. Has anyone watched the extended version? If so, how extended is it? Is the new stuff interspersed throughout or is it all at the end (like a part II or coda)? Do they get into their playoff series in the other years after the TV documentary ends (with the Wings 98 victory)?

But overall a fun show that did well with what it actually did do.
    I DVR'd the doc, but have only had the chance to watch part of it, so can't really comment yet.

Not a big surprise, but the Red Wings announce Tampa Bay assistant Derek Lalonde as their new head coach this afternoon. I think it is a good pick. Lalonde has a ton of coaching experience and although he has never been a head coach at the NHL level, he has in the minors and in college and has one titles in both. He also has the shared history with Steve Yzerman who knows him well. Hopefully this is the beginning of the Red Wings getting back on track.

William Dufour and the Saint John Sea Dogs win 2022 Memorial Cup

Islander draft pick Dufour Named Tournament MVP!!

Are we done with all the Colorado stuff? Bring on the training camp!

Is Derek LaLonde any relation to Donnie LaLonde, who was Canadian, iirc?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Is Derek LaLonde any relation to Donnie LaLonde, who was Canadian, iirc?
    Mmm........Donnie was a boxer correct? I am not aware of them being related, but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmm........Donnie was a boxer correct? I am not aware of them being related, but not sure.
    Yes, he was Light Heavyweight champ in the late 80s, and lost to Sugar Ray Leonard when he won his faux Light Heavyweight crown.