Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Caps had another good game last night. Caps goalie lost his first shut out again on a third period goal. Wilson mishandled the puck in the defensive zone down a man.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

We are truly living in an alternate reality. Locked-down at home and the Leafs continue to hold first place in the league.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    We are truly living in an alternate reality. Locked-down at home and the Leafs continue to hold first place in the league.
    You're still locked down?

Amazing Leafs!!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You're still locked down?

Amazing Leafs!!!
    I'm in York Region. Ford gave the green light today for the region to move to Red Zone on Monday. Toronto is to remain in lock-down until, at least, March 8.

Caps won but it wasn't pretty. They don't seem to play well in the afternoon.

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

I completely forgot to watch the B's in Lake Tahoe. Looking at some highlights, it's weird to see hockey players in eye black.

3 on 3 is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    3 on 3 is a joke
    Sure...when ya lose!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Sure...when ya lose!
    Even when you win. It doesn't represent the team that played hard for sixty minutes. Other sports don't take players off the field in overtime.

Even when you win. It doesn't represent the team that played hard for sixty minutes. Other sports don't take players off the field in overtime.
    It's not ideal, but it's cut way down on shoot-outs, which was the intent. Personally, I have no problem with games ending in ties, but if there's gotta be a winner, I'd rather it was decided through actual game play than a skills competition.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    It's not ideal, but it's cut way down on shoot-outs, which was the intent. Personally, I have no problem with games ending in ties, but if there's gotta be a winner, I'd rather it was decided through actual game play than a skills competition.
    I'd prefer 5 on 5 for ten minutes and if no score then a tie.

The eons are closing
    i rarely agree with Ed - you don't replace a terrible idea (SO) with another terrible idea (3v3) and go "See?! Less bad than before right?"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Claude Julien - OUT!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not me. I find 3 on 3 to be electric. Absolutely love it. Playoffs are another story...as long as that stays as is I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Claude Julien - OUT!

I think Scott Gomez is available.

Not me. I find 3 on 3 to be electric. Absolutely love it. Playoffs are another story...as long as that stays as is I'm good.
    Totally agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Caps won one game in 28 seconds and the other team never touched the puck. Didn't the Rangers just lose one in about 36 seconds. How electric is that. At least let them play the whole five minutes.

The Caps won one game in 28 seconds and the other team never touched the puck. Didn't the Rangers just lose one in about 36 seconds. How electric is that. At least let them play the whole five minutes.
    No. It's sudden death overtime. In hockey. They didn't touch the puck because they failed. This isn't football.

No. It's sudden death overtime. In hockey. They didn't touch the puck because they failed. This isn't football.
    100%

The eons are closing
    But this is how that change starts.....by fucking with the regular season product until we're numb to it amd then blammo....

- NBC insists on it to assure 'scheduling' or they won't renew TV deal,

- causal idiots who claim its exciting TV (not exciting hockey) and how playoffs should have same rulez as the regular season magically appear out of thin air

- Olympics decide its cool too since the largest pro league uses it...

For a sport that once used a glowing puck, the above is not really far fetched.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

It's exactly like football. If one team scores a touchdown on first possession game is over. The only difference is they aren't playing 6 on 6.

It's exactly like football. If one team scores a touchdown on first possession game is over. The only difference is they aren't playing 6 on 6.
    But in hockey there isn't a kickoff--instead there's a faceoff, meaning both teams had a shot at puck possession to begin the OT rather than it being decided by a coin flip. Again, not like football.

My preference for the regular season games would be five minutes of sudden death 5 on 5, followed by five minutes of sudden death 3 on 3, followed by a shootout.

Actually, my real preference would be for five minutes of sudden death 5 on 5, period. If nobody scores, the game ends in a tie. I'm afraid we're never going back to that, however.

You want to hear about shitty ways to decide a game?

For a several years the NLL (lacrosse) final was two games and a "mini game". The first game was played in the lower seed's home arena. The second game was played in the higher seed's home arena. Win both games and win the cup. If the series ends in a tie, the decision maker was a 10 minute "mini" game following game two. The winner at the end of 10 minutes gets the cup. The CUP! Play a good 10 minutes and you're the champion! It was stupid.

They finally changed it to a proper best of three a few years ago.