Page 316 of 403 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366 ... LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,900 of 10059

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He is a powerful wizard.
    Its working isn't it? [emoji1]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Its working isn't it? [emoji1]
    But wait...if you are indeed a powerful wizard, wouldn't watching in Feb. be the worst time to start watching?? What if your superstition backfires on you!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    I made the pact at the xroads for meaningful February games.

Once superbowl is done, its all Isles all the time!

BTW - completely rational about my NFL and MLB teams.

Absolutely irrational re: islanders

3 in a row...what a schizophrenic team!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Damn, Tim Thomas has had it rough these last few years. Glad to see he's doing better.

WASHINGTON — Former NHL goaltender Tim Thomas said Thursday that his post-concussion syndrome symptoms were so severe that he couldn’t make basic decisions and his brain wasn’t functioning well enough to even watch hockey.

In his first public appearance since walking away from the game, Thomas said a scan taken after he retired showed that two-thirds of his brain were getting less than 5% blood flow and the other third was getting less than 50%. The 45-year-old said it took significant time and help to even be able to communicate with former teammates and others.

He’s still not close to normal.

“I wake up every day and basically I have to reorder everything in my mind for the first couple hours of the day and then make a list and try to make some choices to get some stuff done,” Thomas said before being inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.

Thomas won the Stanley Cup in 2011 with the Boston Bruins and was named playoff MVP. He played parts of 10 NHL seasons before retiring in 2014 but said his experiences made him question if it was all worth it.

“It taught me a value for life and a value for my brain that I’ve never had before,” Thomas said. “And I have appreciation for everything that I never had before. I don’t regret anything.”

Long considered reclusive, Thomas said he lived in the woods for a couple of years because he couldn’t handle human interaction. He got a chance to talk to some old teammates at a game Wednesday nights between the Bruins and Washington Capitals.
    Now 45, Thomas is still coming to grips with head injuries and one concussion from December 2013 that he said “changed my life.”

“I woke up the next morning after it, and I couldn’t decide what I wanted to eat, where I wanted to go,” Thomas said. “I couldn’t plan a schedule. I survived by following the team schedule the rest of the year and just made it through that season.”

He then hung up his skates.

Thomas struggled to communicate with anyone, let alone watch hockey, in ensuing years. He couldn’t keep up with games, and he moved with his family to the woods to get away. He didn’t talk to his former teammates or even call his father.

The brain scan occurred a year after his retirement, and his thoughts wandered to his career and the hits he took to the head.

“My rebound effect was like, this wasn’t worth it,” Thomas said. “That’s where I was then. Where I am today is past that. I ended up learning so many lessons out of the experience. It brought me tighter with my family. It taught me a value for life and a value for my brain that I’ve never had before. And I have appreciation for everything that I never had before. I don’t regret anything.”

Thomas on Wednesday attended his first NHL game since retiring and got to see some old Bruins teammates and friends behind the scenes. He’s not interested in getting involved with the game again in part because he thinks of the damage it caused him.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, who was inducted into the hall along with Thomas, said the league has taken steps to prevent and reduce concussions.

“We’ve put a tremendous amount of effort in diagnosing protocols, return to play protocols, making sure players are educated, changing the culture of the game so that players know that it’s OK to say, ‘I’m having symptoms,’” Bettman said. “We want to make sure that we’re doing everything possible, that we’re staying on top of the medicine and the science as it’s being told to us to make sure we’re diagnosing and treating appropriately.”

Thomas didn’t criticize the league or the players’ association for the concussions or the damage they caused. He said he has spent time learning about ionized water that has improved his symptoms and turned his old competitive juices toward learning about his brain and how it functions.

It was still a struggle simply to tell his story.

“I didn’t want to talk about this,” Thomas said. “I didn’t want to tell the world this stuff. Not till I felt ready, and I didn’t feel ready yet. But here I am.”
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Post concussion syndrome is no joke. I have two friends that suffer from it. The first is in his late 50s now and was an athlete his entire life. Hockey, lacrosse, football, and soccer - he was also a very talented musician and played in many local bands. He had multiple concussions throughout his life and never thought much of it. He had to retire from Real Estate and go on disability about 10 years ago. He used to be the guy that was the life of the party. He was a ball of energy and full of life. Now his wife says he's a grumpy old man and is barely able to leave the house.

The second friend fell and bumped her head about 5 or 6 years ago. One bump is all it took. She still has memory problems and the occasional seizure.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Post concussion syndrome is no joke. I have two friends that suffer from it. The first is in his late 50s now and was an athlete his entire life. Hockey, lacrosse, football, and soccer - he was also a very talented musician and played in many local bands. He had multiple concussions throughout his life and never thought much of it. He had to retire from Real Estate and go on disability about 10 years ago. He used to be the guy that was the life of the party. He was a ball of energy and full of life. Now his wife says he's a grumpy old man and is barely able to leave the house.

The second friend fell and bumped her head about 5 or 6 years ago. One bump is all it took. She still has memory problems and the occasional seizure.
    Yes, it's no joking matter. The more we learn it becomes almost painful to watch something that just a few years ago we were all touting, I.E. He Got Jacked! and the NFL and NHL selling video of the greatest hits. Used to love those hits now I just cringe.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The National Lacrosse League has implemented some very strict rules in the last few years to protect the players. A hit to the head is a match penalty (among other offenses). First match penalty is a one-game suspension, each subsequent match penalty adds 5 games. So 2nd match penalty is 6 games, 3rd is 11 games, etc. There are only 18 regular season games, so three match penalties will cost you more than half a season.

It used to be within two years. So if you got a match penalty and your second was three years later, that 2nd penalty was only one game instead of six. But this year they changed the rule to remove the two year limit, so all match penalties count retroactively to 2017. Since hitting your opponent with your stick is allowed in lacrosse, this is a really important rule to keep the hits below the neck.

World Juniors starting up soon. Any fans? I always enjoy them -- first taste of future stars. Canada vs U.S. opening game on Boxing Day...

I always say I am going to watch that tournament and never do...

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    World Juniors starting up soon. Any fans? I always enjoy them -- first taste of future stars. Canada vs U.S. opening game on Boxing Day...
    I watch the games when I can. When they were here in Toronto in 2015 we went to a couple of games. We were at the Bronze medal game between Sweden and Slovakia. We bought Platinum seats for $25 each about two hours before puck drop. The stands were empty, but we had a blast cheering for Slovakia (who won)because the group of men in front of us were Slovakian. It was exciting!

That Canada/US game is at 1:00pm EST. Looks like I'll be watching hockey on Boxing Day. NICE!

2 for 2 on the road for Les Habitants. Back to playing that "boring" close checking game which I used to loathe but now love!

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this video. Every year The National Ballet Company of Canada performs the Nutcracker Suite for a few weeks in Toronto. It's a tradition. My Mom used to take me when I was a kid, like, 45 years ago! There are two characters called the Cannon Dolls and at each performance different celebrities play these parts and just ham it up. Last year Austin Mathews and Mitch Marner performed the roles.

Dark days in Tampa, with the Rangers, Habs, Leafs, Panthers, and even the (gasp!) Sabres ahead of us at the moment.

I forgot that the Leafs had an afternoon game today against Carolina. I turned the game on with about 12 minutes left in the 3rd, the score was 6-4 Carolina. The Leafs scored 3 in 59 seconds and then an empty netter to take the game 8-6. I turned it on at just the right time. Austin Mathews made an incredible pass to Mitch Marner who went down on one knee to shoot into the net. 53 seconds later, Marner passes the puck to Barrie, who scores. Six seconds later, Marner intercepts a pass off the face-off and scores, unassisted. Marner gets three points in less than a minute for a 5 point game. It was one the best minutes of hockey I've seen in a long time, possibly ever.

https://www.nhl.com/video/marner-ham...0912/c-4895296

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I forgot that the Leafs had an afternoon game today against Carolina. I turned the game on with about 12 minutes left in the 3rd, the score was 6-4 Carolina. The Leafs scored 3 in 59 seconds and then an empty netter to take the game 8-6. I turned it on at just the right time. Austin Mathews made an incredible pass to Mitch Marner who went down on one knee to shoot into the net. 53 seconds later, Marner passes the puck to Barrie, who scores. Six seconds later, Marner intercepts a pass off the face-off and scores, unassisted. Marner gets three points in less than a minute for a 5 point game. It was one the best minutes of hockey I've seen in a long time, possibly ever.

https://www.nhl.com/video/marner-ham...0912/c-4895296
    I missed it too but saw the highlights...I'm in the Florida Keys right now and was going to watch it on Reddit. I was hoping to see Jane Garden Gnome play his first game against the Leafs since they got rid of him. I was happy with the win.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Jane Garden Gnome.

Habs have taken 3 out of 4 in this road trip. Now a little rest at home before finishing it up in FLA....

We're officially halfway through the season and I think the writing is already on the wall for the Habs. They are now currently in a 4-game funk. You have to be way more consistent than they have shown. When they play close checking games, they cannot score. When they play wide open they get outscored. Too many better teams in our division, and the wild cards will come from the Metropolitan...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    We're officially halfway through the season and I think the writing is already on the wall for the Habs. They are now currently in a 4-game funk. You have to be way more consistent than they have shown. When they play close checking games, they cannot score. When they play wide open they get outscored. Too many better teams in our division, and the wild cards will come from the Metropolitan...
    I agree, although with 4 key guys out it's obviously tougher. Of the last 4 losses, 3 have been by 1 goal and 1 by 2 goals with lots of chances. Scandella will help a bit but I'm optimistic that when guys start returning, more wins will come.....hopefully soon.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Kovalchuk?!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Kovalchuk?!
    Beyond that. Only Scott Gomez can save us now! We need that ONE GOAL production we got out of him circa 2011-2012.

For yours and Birdy's sake I hope he produces, but man he was a giant turd for LA. That's a head scratcher for sure man.

Meanwhile Rangers scoring a ton of goals, but lazy penalties, brain cramps and costly defensive lapses are keeping us stagnant. Frustrating, but must be patient...

The eons are closing
    Watched my 1st Isles game of year -

loss to NJD, bottom of the Metro...

Back to exile!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    For yours and Birdy's sake I hope he produces, but man he was a giant turd for LA. That's a head scratcher for sure man.

Meanwhile Rangers scoring a ton of goals, but lazy penalties, brain cramps and costly defensive lapses are keeping us stagnant. Frustrating, but must be patient...
    Rangers best strategy right now would be to lobby the NHL to change the number of skaters allowed on the ice to 6. Or 7.