Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Welcome to the NY Rangers Gerard Gallant
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

The eons are closing
    Dont know how he stayed unemployed for so long.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Not an auspicious opening by the Bolts. Looked like they were sitting back trying to analyze the Isles' strategy rather than actually playing.

Isles have excellent depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Welcome to the NY Rangers Gerard Gallant
    Good choice.

Some fire in the Bolts-Isles game today.

Great game! See what happens when Isles are forced to abandon the trap? Fun hockey! Good to see the bad blood developing That fight was so lame though, but most fights those two dudes are in are snoozers. Can't wait for the next one!

Great game! See what happens when Isles are forced to abandon the trap? Fun hockey! Good to see the bad blood developing That fight was so lame though, but most fights those two dudes are in are snoozers. Can't wait for the next one!
    Somehow, I knew you would like that game! That's alright, the Isles and for that matter, the Habs both did what they set out to do. Split on the road. The Coliseum is gonna be rocking tonight!

OK guys, sour grapes or anything like that. But what is the deal with the salary cap? I was sent a clip of a Canes player going off saying Tampa Bay is $18M over the cap. What's that all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    OK guys, sour grapes or anything like that. But what is the deal with the salary cap? I was sent a clip of a Canes player going off saying Tampa Bay is $18M over the cap. What's that all about?
    Ok, here's the long-winded version (from a Bolts fan).

First, there is no cap in the playoffs so nobody can be over the cap at this time.

Second, the 18 million narrative is an exaggeration as it includes Tampa's full playoff taxi squad some never-will-play LITRs etc. If one includes these categories for the Isles I believe that they'd be about 8 million over.

When the season ended the Bolts were, as per league rules, cap compliant. Then Kucherov returned after missing the whole season (more on that later). His salary is 9.5 million and, since he didn't play during the season, it didn't count against the cap. Still, the Bolts got a 9.5 million dollar player back for the playoffs. That's the amount people should be discussing.

So, in a sense it appears that the Bolts have a 9.5 million dollar salary advantage.

But, the league has said there was no wrong doing -- all the rules were followed. Kucherov was verifiably injured, got verified surgery, and of the type that typically requires a 5-6 month recovery. That's why he was on LTIR during the entire season. No other GM in the league has disputed the legitimacy of this. Cap management by GMs is a thing, like it or not.

Now, what would the Bolts have done if Kucherov's salary had been required to count against the cap? Well for one, he would definitely still be playing in these playoffs. Almost certainly, the Bolts would have dropped Tyler Johnson's 5 million hit (buyout or package with a 1st round pick for free) and they wouldn't have been able to carry out the David Savard trade with Columbus (not that Savard has been very good for us). That's still not quite 9.5 mil though so they would have likely bridged either Anthony Cirelli or Mikhail Sergachev.

So, they are effectively up a Johnson and a Savard, both of whom could be quickly and easily replaced by players of similar calibre.

Unfortunately, some people are talking as if the Bolts used that extra dough to bring in some high-priced free agent ringers, when in fact they've drafted or developed all their current players (with the exception of MacDonagh, who came over nearly 4 years ago). The Bolts tight cap issue is a product of strong drafting and development, increasing their own players' value and not one of being able to 'buy a contender' Yankee-style.

End apologia.

The eons are closing
    I never have any issue with moves made within the structure that are unique. Luck enough just to be ready for playoffs at all. Knowing the rules is part of the front office job.

If only Anders would(could) walk out like Willis Reed for a "shift". Coz the Bolts are a step up in weight class, and have consistently been there for many a season.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I never have any issue with moves made within the structure that are unique. Luck enough just to be ready for playoffs at all. Knowing the rules is part of the front office job.

If only Anders would(could) walk out like Willis Reed for a "shift". Coz the Bolts are a step up in weight class, and have consistently been there for many a season.

If they played by the rules, more power to the GM. The one thing I’ve heard is that LTIR players are supposed to report ASAP. Kutcherov wasn’t ready say the last week of the season? Maybe they should revisit this rule in the offseason. I would sag the same with the Isles as they have no cap left and Lee suited up while Palmieri and Zajak are on the team with some of Lee’s LTIR money.

Anyway, it is what it is. Looking forward to watching tomorrow’s game with a bunch of people. First time since the pandemic started!

LGI!

BTW, Montreal got outplayed but Fleury gave up a goal that will haunt him. Price was awesome again.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Fleury's mistake has to be one of the worst of the playoffs of all time.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Fleury's mistake has to be one of the worst of the playoffs of all time.
    The Montreal player did pretty much the same thing. He passed it to the Vegas player right in front of the net.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

FUCK YOU RYAN PULLOCK!!!

FUCK YOU RYAN PULLOCK!!!!

😂😂😂 Jeez nothing is ever easy. Just wanted to sit back, enjoy my beverage and get the W. But no, and I knew it would be that way. Varly was totally faked out, Pulock with the incredible save

Vegas gets outplayed by the Habs but wins in OT! Both series are 2-2!

Nothing like getting all the crap out of your system at once. That game was over early.

I turned it off at 4-0. Horrible performance by Isles D. It looked like their skates were nailed to the ice. They could have had both Chico and Billy in goal together and still got whipped.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

The eons are closing
    Been a long time since Isles were embarrassed like that - not just in scoreboard, but completely in play.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I turned it off at 4-0. Horrible performance by Isles D. It looked like their skates were nailed to the ice. They could have had both Chico and Billy in goal together and still got whipped.
    I turned it off in the first period it was horrible.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

“We want Tampa!”

You got Tampa.

I left it on the whole time

Honestly though...who the hell expected that? I think it's safe to say tomorrows game will be different.

The eons are closing
    I left it on the whole time

Honestly though...who the hell expected that? I think it's safe to say tomorrows game will be different.
    Leaving Barzal cheap shots aside, where is the hitting overall? Where is the grinding? [emoji34]

From the moment the Bolts came out in Game 2 and out hit the Isles from opening drop, the Isles have been out physical-ed, out hustled and most alarmingly - afraid of the Champs. This is what I was getting at earlier - for some reason, the Isles are not treating the Bolts like 'another hockey team'.

Really, if not for the Pulock Play...
    we've essentially played one period of Islander style hockey in last four games and are fortunate to be playing for the opportunity to go back to TB.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Is Montreal this good? And if so how were they the last team to clinch a playoff spot?
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Is Montreal this good? And if so how were they the last team to clinch a playoff spot?
    A hot goalie brings confidence. LA Kings were 8th (last) seed in the West a few years ago and won the Cup. Hockey more than any other major sport can be controlled by 1 dominant player.

Ask Klonk, I’m sure he remembers John Davidson and the ‘79 Rangers.
    Last edited by Tangram; 06-23-2021 at 11:30 PM.