Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Losing in OT is still better than either of the shootout outcomes, IMO.
    Let hockey players play hockey. Leave that crap for sleepy-time kickball.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Ovi scored his 750th career goal. Where do you guys think he slots in amongst the all-time greats?
    Pretty near the top. Still gets his 50+ in the era of goalies looking like Transformers. When the mood strikes, he can dominate both sides of the ice

Hell Freezes Over! The Isles get a W. That was one long losing streak, 11 games. They have done it twice before.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I don't know how to feel about the Rangers being this good. I want to be excited but they almost look too good to be true.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Pretty near the top. Still gets his 50+ in the era of goalies looking like Transformers. When the mood strikes, he can dominate both sides of the ice
    Not a popular question, I guess, but I agree with you. One of the best of the best.

The eons are closing
    Is Ovechkin the best player drafted since 2000?

Yes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I don't know how to feel about the Rangers being this good. I want to be excited but they almost look too good to be true.
    I'm lovin every second of it. Playin some real good, confident, 4 line, physical hockey right now. Totally different team than what I'm used to seeing...dare I say intimidating? Been fun so far...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Not a popular question, I guess, but I agree with you. One of the best of the best.
    I think he is the ultimate hockey player. Still brings it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm lovin every second of it. Playin some real good, confident, 4 line, physical hockey right now. Totally different team than what I'm used to seeing...dare I say intimidating? Been fun so far...
    Written by someone who knows they dont hand out trophies in December. That said, they are playing really well. As much as I hate to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Written by someone who knows they don’t hand out trophies in December.
    No, but you have to win these early games to get the opportunity to win those trophies. Early season streaks always play a big role in the playoff push.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    No, but you have to win these early games to get the opportunity to win those trophies. Early season streaks always play a big role in the playoff push.
    Definitely! Stockpiling points early in the season can limit the ‘must have’ games in the spring. I’ve been watching a good amount of Ranger and Devil games and their fans have to be excited in what they see. Young teams on the way up, especially the Rangers.

I’m a little salty that the Islanders didn’t play their Oct -Nov games at the Coliseum instead of having a ridiculous 13 game road trip. Greedy and really put the team behind the eight ball. Now 8 out of 10 games are at home so the Isles relevance this season will be decided by the early days of January. Looking realistically for the wild card slots at best.
    Last edited by Tangram; 12-12-2021 at 06:29 AM.

The eons are closing
    Last couple o years + Isles were strong out of the gate w/ winning streaks that in part offset the barely .500 latter halves of the season.

Now - its opposite land - and while there are games in hand - overcoming an 11 game losing streak in an era of bonus point idiocy is really hard.

I had almost forgotten what a "W" was! lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

16 flames out on covid protocol plus 9 staffers. Preds are 6 & 6. Unfortunately, here we go again.

This new ESPN+ deal really grinds my gears. I've subscribed to Center Ice for many moons, got every NYR game since I am "out of market". Last night for the game in Colorado I find out I need ESPN+ if I want to see the game. So I sign up with Hulu but, surprise, their ESPN+ app isn't working. So now I've paid twice and still can't see the game. I wound up on an "alternate" source, as much as it bugs me to do it. I want to pay for the product. I did pay for the product. I get zero for my money. I guess everybody ought to just steal the broadcasts since the NHL insists on making accessing their games so fucking convoluted. Nice marketing strategy NHL. Hulu support did send me a nice "we're working on it" tweet however.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    This new ESPN+ deal really grinds my gears. I've subscribed to Center Ice for many moons, got every NYR game since I am "out of market". Last night for the game in Colorado I find out I need ESPN+ if I want to see the game. So I sign up with Hulu but, surprise, their ESPN+ app isn't working. So now I've paid twice and still can't see the game. I wound up on an "alternate" source, as much as it bugs me to do it. I want to pay for the product. I did pay for the product. I get zero for my money. I guess everybody ought to just steal the broadcasts since the NHL insists on making accessing their games so fucking convoluted. Nice marketing strategy NHL. Hulu support did send me a nice "we're working on it" tweet however.
    I also came here to bitch about ESPN. lol

I feared it would be a terrible deal for the nhl (or more importantly for the fans) and I'm turning out to be right. Fuck 'em.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Ontario announced today that capacity at all sports venues is reduced to 50% beginning on December 18th. The Leafs (and Raptors) are sold out for every game this season. Good luck on cancelling 10,000 tickets. I'm not sure how they'll do it yet but I'm sure that season ticket holders will get priority...I just don't know if that makes up more than 50% of the venue.

Actually surprised to see complaints about the ESPN deal. Not only is ESPN+ cheaper than what I had been paying for Center Ice for years but the video quality has been far superior (there were still some NHL games that I could only get in SD last year through Center Ice) and I can access it more efficiently. The fact that I get a bunch of other sports on top of the NHL is icing on the cake.

My only beef with accessing games is that despite the fact that Denver is a good 7-8 hour drive from where I live, I'm considered to live in the Avs 'home' market, meaning that even with ESPN+ I can't watch very many Avs games. That was a bigger deal for me when they were in the same division as the Oilers, of course. To be clearer, Denver is the THIRD closest city with an NHL team for me...both Dallas and St. Louis are closer...yet I'm still considered to be in the Avs market.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Actually surprised to see complaints about the ESPN deal. Not only is ESPN+ cheaper than what I had been paying for Center Ice for years but the video quality has been far superior (there were still some NHL games that I could only get in SD last year through Center Ice) and I can access it more efficiently. The fact that I get a bunch of other sports on top of the NHL is icing on the cake.
    Does ESPN+ give you a choice of feeds like Center Ice? That's the other minor quibble I had, the ESPN announcers were terrible. I'd much rather watch the Rangers broadcast than "Booch" and whoever, who misidentify half the players.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Does ESPN+ give you a choice of feeds like Center Ice? That's the other minor quibble I had, the ESPN announcers were terrible. I'd much rather watch the Rangers broadcast than "Booch" and whoever, who misidentify half the players.
    On games that are not nationally broadcast, you get a choice between the home/road feeds, meaning you get the home/road announcers. Just depends on if the game is being broadcast on ESPN/TNT or not.

My only beef with accessing games is that despite the fact that Denver is a good 7-8 hour drive from where I live, I'm considered to live in the Avs 'home' market, meaning that even with ESPN+ I can't watch very many Avs games. That was a bigger deal for me when they were in the same division as the Oilers, of course. To be clearer, Denver is the THIRD closest city with an NHL team for me...both Dallas and St. Louis are closer...yet I'm still considered to be in the Avs market.
    I already subscribe to ESPN+ in order to get all of the WMU football games as well as some WMU hockey, so this is cool with me.

I don't like ESPN's coverage. Most of the announcers are annoying and some of the camera angles they are using are awful (although I've always liked the behind the goal angle during a power play. I love seeing the play develop from that viewpoint) MSG Network does a fantastic job with replays from different angles and overall coverage so definitely spoiled there.

Anything that gets hockey off of the TV is a negative in my book. And yes I realize this is an old man position.

Also, ESPN has too many other sports to cover to give the NHL its proper due. It will always prioritize basketball, baseball, and college football/basketball over hockey.

Have you guys visited the ESPN website lately? Almost every article requires an ESPN+ subscription to read in it's entirety. It's laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Anything that gets hockey off of the TV is a negative in my book. And yes I realize this is an old man position.

Also, ESPN has too many other sports to cover to give the NHL its proper due. It will always prioritize basketball, baseball, and college football/basketball over hockey.
    I guess I don't know what you mean by 'off of the TV'. The national ESPN broadcasts are on TV...ESPN, or ESPN2, or perhaps TNT. The broadcasts that are on ESPN+ wouldn't be on national TV anyway, meaning that the only way you could watch them under the old agreement was via Center Ice, which is/was shitty in it's own way. Every game is still 'on TV' in the same way that it has been for years.

The tradeoff with ESPN and other sports is a double-edged sword, of course. The NBCSN deal sucked because NBCSN wasn't a real sports network, as evidenced but the dissolution of the network itself after not securing a continuation of the NHL deal. Sure, they prioritized the NHL, but they were terrible at it, and it showed, which is why they aren't around anymore. Let's face it...in terms of TV coverage, in the US the NHL will always be at best the 4th priority for ESPN. Would you rather have the NHL covered by the likes of NBCSN, whose other major annual sporting event was cycling? I think, at best, we would be splitting hairs in terms of the potential comparison.

Of course, the center of much of this discussion is my consistent claim over the past 30 years that nationwide American cable networks are terrible at covering the NHL. They always 'dumb down' the sport for a nationwide audience, resulting in coverage that is just fucking intolerable in many cases for anyone with even the most remote interest in the game. As cool as I think the events are, the broadcasts of the outdoor games are the worst, treated like a novice's intro to the game rather than an actual major sporting event. Dear sweet Yoda I hope ESPN is better at broadcasting those events. The regional/local networks have always been better at broadcasting the NHL than the national networks are...and yet the national networks completely miss the boat in terms of learning from what the regional/local networks do, pandering to what they *think* is the hockey IQ of the American audience. With the exception of the playoffs, where there isn't much choice, I've avoided this type of coverage for years specifically for this reason. I mean, no matter how good Katherine Tappen was/is to look at, it wasn't enough to overcome the pure shittiness of the NBC/NBCSN broadcasts, and that has carried over to ESPN rather seamlessly. To me, the national broadcasts have been essentially the same since the transition.

Have you guys visited the ESPN website lately? Almost every article requires an ESPN+ subscription to read in it's entirety. It's laughable.
    Yep, been like that for years. So many other sites offer better analysis, and for free.