Page 313 of 403 FirstFirst ... 213263303309310311312313314315316317323363 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,825 of 10059

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Carolina is no joke. That team just comes at you and at you and at you! Colorado has a problem with both goalies down to injury (last I saw at least)

<cue all the outrage>
    The Avs have been without Rantanen for some time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Don Cherry? I never liked the dude so whatever. The reason for his firing pisses me off though, but not surprising these days with all the ultra-sensitive masses...I'll end it there though as I KNOW I'll surely be in the minority at PE with these matters

<cue all the outrage>
    Ok, here you go. Don Cherry is a racist and a bigot and has been allowed to spew his shit for 40 years. If you are not a white player from English Canada, he does not like you. If you are not a white person from English Canada, he does not like you. He has insulted French Canadians and every visible minority in this country at one time or another and been allowed to get away with it for years. This latest outburst was not born in a vacuum, it is merely the one that got him finally canned. I am guessing SportsNet probably got hit in the pocket book over this one, and given the fact that Cherry is 85 years old and was probably on his last season anyway, they decided to let him go now. Good riddance.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Don Cherry.

‘Nuff said.
    I was hoping this would go unnoticed here. What I find so interesting about this, is how passionate everyone in Canada seems to be about it. Everyone has an opinion. We just had a federal election and I think it got less press than the Don Cherry incident. Somebody organized a rally for him in downtown Toronto yesterday, for Pete's sake. Although I think about 10 people showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Ok, here you go. Don Cherry is a racist and a bigot and has been allowed to spew his shit for 40 years. If you are not a white player from English Canada, he does not like you. If you are not a white person from English Canada, he does not like you. He has insulted French Canadians and every visible minority in this country at one time or another and been allowed to get away with it for years. This latest outburst was not born in a vacuum, it is merely the one that got him finally canned. I am guessing SportsNet probably got hit in the pocket book over this one, and given the fact that Cherry is 85 years old and was probably on his last season anyway, they decided to let him go now. Good riddance.
    Bravo! <standing ovation> Bravo!

Thanks Esther... While my opinion has aligned with his on the rare occasion, I have mostly found him to be ignorant, and an embarassment to the country he claims to love so...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Cherry is a relic. Don't let the door hit you on a ass on the way out.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Part of the reason why I think the perspective on Don Cherry in general in the US tends to be different is because we aren't exposed to him in quite the same way...and not nearly as often...as those living in Canada. I mean, the NHL is a relative blip on the sports radar here in comparison to the NFL, the NBA, MLB, and even NCAA football and basketball. Hell, I would guess that there are many die hard NHL fans here in the states that know relatively little about the guy except for his annual appearance between periods of just one selected game in the finals. The constant exposure and attention that Cherry gets in Canada just doesn't happen here.

All I know is this--now that a threshold has been established for hockey commentators, all we need to do is figure out a way for Pierre McGuire to utter something like Cherry did so he can get the boot too.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Part of the reason why I think the perspective on Don Cherry in general in the US tends to be different is because we aren't exposed to him in quite the same way...and not nearly as often...as those living in Canada. I mean, the NHL is a relative blip on the sports radar here in comparison to the NFL, the NBA, MLB, and even NCAA football and basketball. Hell, I would guess that there are many die hard NHL fans here in the states that know relatively little about the guy except for his annual appearance between periods of just one selected game in the finals. The constant exposure and attention that Cherry gets in Canada just doesn't happen here.
    Yep...I have only seen bits and pieces of him over the years and just took him as a meathead, opinionated, old school fan that wears stupid clothes. As far as if he's racist I have no idea, but these days you could call a frog a toad by accident and be labelled racist. Whatever.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    All I know is this--now that a threshold has been established for hockey commentators, all we need to do is figure out a way for Pierre McGuire to utter something like Cherry did so he can get the boot too.
    The creepy way he looks like he's intending to lean in and make out with any player he interviews should be enough to get him the boot

Don had the magical ability to divine who is a recent immigrant to Canada based on sight alone. Amazing. And 'those people' want 'his' milk and honey.

Ok. I know the PE rules. 'Nuff said.

Klonk- game on Bolts/Rangers. Hopefully a better showing by the good guys this time around.

Don Cherry is just an old fashioned hockey guy, and at 85 years old, why shouldn't he be? He's an old fashioned guy that has a platform and loves the sound of his own opinions. You may or may not agree with them, but that's just the way he is and has been put up with for years. He is a bit of a bigot, but he's no racist! His criteria for hockey players is based solely on how good they are with their fists and nothing to do with race or nationality. George Laroque, who happens to be French Canadian and black, is one of his favorite players, and we all know why....Over the years he has dumped on virtually every country that plays hockey, based mainly on the wimp factor. He was wrong on the poppy issue and should stick to hockey.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Klonk- game on Bolts/Rangers. Hopefully a better showing by the good guys this time around.
    I'd say starting the 3rd, it's been going your way

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Don Cherry is just an old fashioned hockey guy, and at 85 years old, why shouldn't he be? He's an old fashioned guy that has a platform and loves the sound of his own opinions. You may or may not agree with them, but that's just the way he is and has been put up with for years. He is a bit of a bigot, but he's no racist! His criteria for hockey players is based solely on how good they are with their fists and nothing to do with race or nationality. George Laroque, who happens to be French Canadian and black, is one of his favorite players, and we all know why....Over the years he has dumped on virtually every country that plays hockey, based mainly on the wimp factor. He was wrong on the poppy issue and should stick to hockey.
    Fair enough... his appeal was limited to a very narrow fan base and I am amazed he lasted this long. I watch hockey primarily in French, and tend to tune him out when watching in English on Saturday nights. His attitude and opinions are as dated as his wardrobe. I firmly believe this was to be his final season, and I also believe that SportsNet got pressure from sponsors, so they cut him off early. His complaint is they were trying to turn him into a tame robot when I'm convinced they probably just told him to keep his political/social opinions to himself and just stick to hockey. He can't do that because hecannot separate himself from the larger-than-life persona he has created. I think they should keep "Coach's Corner" but get a modern coach in there to talk X's and O's. It would be refreshing.

Speaking of commentators...I actually enjoy listening to Keith Jones and Patrick Sharp on NHL Live. Even Roenick I like despite his annoying tendencies...the dude loves the game so much.

Cherry was never very good in terms of game subtleties, strategies, X’s and O’s. I honestly think he didn’t process the game very deeply.

Despite Pierre McGuire’s creepy vibe, I like his giddy enthusiasm. He knows the game and catches things that the casual fan may not notice.

Side note- Rangers helped Kucherov bust out of his early season funk today.

Side note- Rangers helped Kucherov bust out of his early season funk today.
    <puts on Shadow Ed hat> ...and so did the refs early on setting the tone <takes Shadow Ed hat off>

Cherry was never very good in terms of game subtleties, strategies, X’s and O’s. I honestly think he didn’t process the game very deeply.

Despite Pierre McGuire’s creepy vibe, I like his giddy enthusiasm. He knows the game and catches things that the casual fan may not notice.
    I don't see American broadcasts very often, but Maguire just talks too much. I'm biased, but the French commentators on RDS (French TSN) are the best in the biz... During the intermissions you get analysis from a plethora of former Habs players like Benoit Brunet, Vincent Damphousse, Guy Carbonneau, Mario Tremblay. None of them make themselves out to be larger than life.

Back to business, big game in Washington tonight for the Habs. We usually play Ovi close to the vest. Hopefully we can steal a point tonight.

Cherry was a good coach and had a fair amount of success, however, like most things, the game as changed and he is no longer able to understand the current style of play. I believe, like many OLD folks, me included, there is a lot of frustration with the game. I was never a fan of the rough stuff like Cherry is and much preferred the European style of play. Pierre McGuire...the motor mouth, I was glad to see him shipped off to the US. Not sure whether he knows the game any better than I do, but he sure knows how to gab about it. BTW, what is the casual fan?
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Cherry was a good coach and had a fair amount of success, however, like most things, the game as changed and he is no longer able to understand the current style of play. I believe, like many OLD folks, me included, there is a lot of frustration with the game. I was never a fan of the rough stuff like Cherry is and much preferred the European style of play. Pierre McGuire...the motor mouth, I was glad to see him shipped off to the US. Not sure whether he knows the game any better than I do, but he sure knows how to gab about it. BTW, what is the casual fan?
    I’m hard core - played, scouted, followed everything. I’m a casual soccer fan. I enjoy the game and generally understand rules and strategies but not the intricacies nor the ‘names’ and clubs. That’s the difference.

I’m hard core - played, scouted, followed everything. I’m a casual soccer fan. I enjoy the game and generally understand rules and strategies but not the intricacies nor the ‘names’ and clubs. That’s the difference.
    I guess I used to be "hard core" but being a leaf fan for 53 years has kind of thinned things out...I do study the game and focus on what certain players are doing, sometimes takes the enjoyment out of the experience, something like listening to the sound of music rather than the music itself...here is a picture of me & Dave Poulin taken last Christmas, we had some great conversation, but |I did realize that they never say what they really think when commenting on games.
    20181208_223807.jpg
    Dave Sr.

Couldn't agree more!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

I missed the Leafs/Golden Knights game last night because (a) I wasn't home and (b) it didn't start until 10:00, but Fleury made a beauty of a save!

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/veg...054531366.html

I hope the Leafs can turn things around soon! This losing streak (5 games) is getting painful.

The eons are closing
    The entirety of Maple Buds underwhelming can be tied to naming JT as captain.

Just saying (actually I might have back then too... Sorry for repeat!)

- T
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The entirety of Maple Buds underwhelming can be tied to naming JT as captain.

Just saying (actually I might have back then too... Sorry for repeat!)

- T
    I'm not buying that. At least not yet. Injuries, poor defense, and lack of a good back-up goalie are the problems IMO. Sadly, I haven't been able to watch a lot of games this year. I'm committed to hitting the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and my Saturdays have been tied up with lacrosse and other events. Those are prime hockey-watching nights!

The eons are closing
    most hockey teams play two of those 3 nights guaranteed each week. So yeah, prime viewing is affected there! [emoji106]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit