Page 93 of 402 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 10039

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

An outdoor hockey game in California just seems wrong to me. If you're playing hockey outside, or watching people play hockey outside, you should be freezing your ass off dammit! At the very least, you should be able to see your breath. You shouldn't be looking at green grass behind the bench. I just can't get my head around this one.

I'm with ya, Esther.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    An outdoor hockey game in California just seems wrong to me. If you're playing hockey outside, or watching people play hockey outside, you should be freezing your ass off dammit! At the very least, you should be able to see your breath. You shouldn't be looking at green grass behind the bench. I just can't get my head around this one.

You will probably feel better about the games on Sunday and Wednesday in NY since the forecast is calling for temps in the teens for both games.

If you aren't wearing gloves and your Tim Horton's hot chocolate isn't playing double duty to warm your hands as well as your heart, then it's too warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Seems they're on before the game. (Also?)
    Funny pre-event interview-
    Announcer- "How does playing here at Dodger Stadium compare with all the other venues you've played?"
    Gene Simmons- "Uh, we played Dodger Stadium way before you were born." Had me in stitches.
    LOL! I missed that. I hope that shows up on YT tomorrow.

After watching the first period of this game it really does have that Hollywood Tinseltown feel to it totally different when compared to the game a few weeks ago in Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    You know, I feel the same way, but at the same time I can't deny that these games are good for NHL exposure in the states. And hockey has become pretty popular in California so why not give it a whirl?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Now they need to do it in Phoenix. Hey we even have Tim Hortons now. Don't know how they would fill the seats though

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    Now they need to do it in Phoenix. Hey we even have Tim Hortons now. Don't know how they would fill the seats though
    There's a Tim Hortons in Phoenix? Wow...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just a coffee concession in the Hockey Arena for now but plans for more stores. The new Coyotes owners brought them in.

Only coffee shop in town that knows what a double double is!

In Penn Station, which houses Madison Square Garden, there are 3 Tim Horton's, 3 Dunkin' Donuts and most importantly, the only Krispy Kreme Donuts in New York State.
    Just a fun fact for this evening.

I really enjoy the spectacle that is watching these outdoor games from the comfort of my home on the big screen tv. In person, idk, seems like the seats are so far away from the rink.
    Too far away.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Rangers up 3-1. Effing Islanders get 4 unanswered. PPPPfffffffftttttt.......
    Devils up 3-1. Effing Rangers get 6 unanswered. Woooooooooooooooo-hooooooooooooooooooooo!!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Prior to today's game, it was a Martin Brodeur "Love Fest" among Roenick, Millbury, McGuire, Emmerick and Olczyk.

Now they can add another first. First goalie pulled during an outdoor game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangershockey7 View Post
    Prior to today's game, it was a Martin Brodeur "Love Fest" among Roenick, Millbury, McGuire, Emmerick and Olczyk.

Now they can add another first. First goalie pulled during an outdoor game.
    Those guys love hearing themselves talk don't they. And the delay made it even worse. There just as bad as the NFL analyst we listen to every weekend with all there favoritism and BS which I do my best to avoid listening to. I guess that's what the networks want from them.

And Emmerick with all his corny comments and cliches. There are much better play by play guys that could be calling these nationally televised games.

Emmerick's a pro & one of the best, if a little over the top at times. All that "knifing" & "waffleboarding" gets old after a while. As a Ranger fan though, it's tough to listen to the obvious dislike that Millbury & Jones have for the team. The one I just laugh at is Roenick. Today at Yankee Stadium he was out in the stands "brazing" the elements.

Bring back Gary Thorne!! I don't mind Keith Jones at all and never found him to have any more dislike for the Rangers than any other team. Milbury is a different story.

Man, after that mediocre 1st period the Rangers turned on the jets! Skated circles around NJ. That was nice to see. Isles have our number so far this year so I hope we can bring it to 'em Wednesday!

It's only been a couple games, but with the presence of Kevin Kline, John Moore has been glaringly more noticeable offensively.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Hopefully Brodeur's bad ice will still be there on Wednesday to slow down Tavares, Grabner, Neilson, et al.

Of course it didn't seem to slow down Zuc, Haggelin, or Kreider.

Shortly after they acquired Moore, I became a fan. I thought he was under utilized by Torts and even more so by A V. On Sunday he was up ice more than he was playing defense. I enjoyed it.

Overall, I typically enjoy Doc Emmerick's calls. He is the only sports caster who can work the word "shillelagh" into a broadcast.

Yes, waffleboard does get overused.

Being a Ranger fan from the 70's means you hate the Bruins. However, I love Jack Edwards' calls of the games. Yes he is an unabashed homer, but his language, his diatribes, his warped historical perspective makes every moment a potential gem.

Habs suck. No further comment.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Habs suck. No further comment.
    The Leafs are only one point ahead of the Habs. We really need the win over Tampa tonight...in regulation.

The was a rumour of a trade sending Bourque to Colorado for Parenteau . Apparently Bergevin balked. I guess he prefers the dead wood he knows over the dead wood he doesn't!

Actually, I hear Parenteau isn't the ideal "team player"....

Well, Stammer won't be playing but I'm sure he'll be there doing Olympic interviews ! He skipped practice yesterday 'felt a twinge', other than that, he's got an amazing recovery going on.

The Sens won an important game last night in Columbus beating the very hot BlueJackets to tie them in the standings. But it seems there are a whole bunch of teams that are winning and losing at the same pace so as I posted previously, it will probably come down to the final weekend to determine the wildcard teams in the East which I guess is exactly what the NHL was hoping for when the instituted it.

In other Sens news - they are about to announce a 12 year deal with TSN for all the games that will not be broadcast as national games by Rogers. Apparently, we will have the privilege of paying an extra $10/month as the Jets and Leafs fans do now.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    In other Sens news - they are about to announce a 12 year deal with TSN for all the games that will not be broadcast as national games by Rogers. Apparently, we will have the privilege of paying an extra $10/month as the Jets and Leafs fans do now.
    TSN is part of our regular TV package. We were paying extra for Leafs TV, but in order to respond to you I went on-line to see how much we were paying and happened to notice that Leafs TV was recently added to our basic service! So I just cancelled my sports package and am now saving $10/mth. Thanks Stan!

This may be old news to some, or a foregone conclusion, but they were saying during the Habs broadcast last night that 2014 should be the swan song for NHLers in the Olympics. Apparently the NHL has no real control over anything and doesn't touch any revenue from it, so they most likely will not be sending players to Korea in 2018. They've been talking about a World Cup of hockey. It would probably take place before the regular began. I think that's a better idea.