Page 91 of 403 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141191 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 10054

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Moulson will be available as a UFA? The guy was a Hab killer when he was with the Isles. Maybe we should look at signing him. The team is owned by MOLSON after all!

How To Steal Two Points:

STEP 1- Put Price in net....

I can't believe the Habs managed to get 2 points last night! They looked like they were playing a man short the entire game! I thought somebody had been given a red card in the first period!
    Price played so well, even the Ottawa fans were giving him standing ovations. It was a very entertaining game and Habs came back very strong in the third period after being thoroughly outplayed in the first two.

If Price plays like that in Sochi, I like Canada's chance to win gold.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

Last nights Ranger/Red Wing game was hockey at it's finest. End to end action, over 70 SOG, amazing goaltending and an edge. One of those games where both teams played so evenly it was going to be won by a lucky bounce. And that's exactly what happened...for the Rangers
    Wow great game it was actually 86 SOG! What a pleasure to witness good clean hockey by both teams with incredible goaltending.

If Matt Zuccarello continues his high level of play he should be a top contender for the Stephen McDonald extra effort award.

So I'm in the shower this morning, soaping up Lil Yvie (TMI! TMI!) and I was thinking about how the NFL can really showcase their championship game because it's a one game winner-take-all affair. I started thinking why the NHL couldn't do the same. You play 4 out of 7 series until you win your conference then you play "The Stanley Cup Game", in an outdoor stadium , on a neutral site, in front of 100,000 fans. I know you purists will shoot this down, but if you think about it, it could be truly exciting! That one game alone could probably generate more revenue for the league and the teams involved then a 4 out 7 series could. Anything could happen too! Way more exciting than a final series that ends in 4 or 5 games, on a Tuesday night, with one team totally outplaying the other... This would be a Sunday afternoon contest with a date set based upon projextions of when the conference series would be finished, allowing a few days to rest up and hype the thing. A big US Network like NBC could broadcast the game and pay top dollar for it because it wouldn't interfere with their weekly programming schedule. People would book their flights and hotels well ahead of time, regardless of which terams are playing; just like the SB.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Blackhawks vs Anaheim, it's been a while since the Blackhawks were considered underdogs. They came through with solid all around play, avoided the penalty box, and held on to break the Ducks' streak. I did not realize the Ducks won 18 of their last 19, that feat only being done once before by the 1967 Canadiens.

image.jpg

The Sith Lord made an appearance at today's Charlotte Checkers game. Naturally,the Checkers won. The opponents choked ...
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I did not realize the Ducks won 18 of their last 19, that feat only being done once before by the 1967 Canadiens.
    Yep, found that out myself during today's Rangers win over the Sens.
    NY is 10-3-1 in last 14. Not bad.
    Last edited by Obscured; 01-18-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Two seconds into the Canucks-Flames game tonight, the refs had called 142 minutes in penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Two seconds into the Canucks-Flames game tonight, the refs had called 142 minutes in penalties.
    Straight outta "Slapshot".

Last edited by Obscured; 01-19-2014 at 12:35 AM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    So I'm in the shower this morning, soaping up Lil Yvie (TMI! TMI!) and I was thinking about how the NFL can really showcase their championship game because it's a one game winner-take-all affair. I started thinking why the NHL couldn't do the same. You play 4 out of 7 series until you win your conference then you play "The Stanley Cup Game", in an outdoor stadium , on a neutral site, in front of 100,000 fans. I know you purists will shoot this down, but if you think about it, it could be truly exciting! That one game alone could probably generate more revenue for the league and the teams involved then a 4 out 7 series could. Anything could happen too! Way more exciting than a final series that ends in 4 or 5 games, on a Tuesday night, with one team totally outplaying the other... This would be a Sunday afternoon contest with a date set based upon projextions of when the conference series would be finished, allowing a few days to rest up and hype the thing. A big US Network like NBC could broadcast the game and pay top dollar for it because it wouldn't interfere with their weekly programming schedule. People would book their flights and hotels well ahead of time, regardless of which terams are playing; just like the SB.
    Lost revenue for dragging out several best of 7 series aside, I think this would only work on Canadian soil…or maybe in NY state or Detroit or Chicago areas. I don't think that most Americans give enough of a crap about hockey for it to work otherwise.

^^^
    I'm not sure any city in the US would be capable of filling a stadium with two out of town teams even if it was the Stanley cup finals. Plus for the cup to be decided by one game is to risky IMHO considering what it takes to get there. The one game winner takes all works in the NFL as there only playing in the 20th or 21st game of the year depending on playoff byes as opposed to the almost grueling 100 in the NHL.

Rangers looking good again last night in knocking off The Sens after early domination they let up a little in the end but another strong performance by back up goalie Cam Talbot secured the victory!

The Rangers looked very solid, very balanced yesterday. It's nice to see Richards and Nash playing well these days. The adage "your best players have to be your best players" seems to be in effect for the Rangers. They're getting great support from guys like Stepan, Kreider, Brassard and Zuccarello.

Ottawa? Not so much. Spezza is not having a good year - either due to ongoing back problems or the burden of the captaincy. Karlsson continues to go brain-dead a couple of times a game. Bobby Ryan has looked out of sorts for the past 6 - 8 games.

And the Senators continue to take lots of hooking/holding/interference type penalties which to me is a sign that they are not moving their feet or more to the point, they are not as fast as their opposition.

Ottawa has a terrible record in games with 2pm start times - something 1-4-2. It's hard to explain why they can't show up and play in the afternoon.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Spezza had a terrible game Karlsson did have a brain dead moment on Stepans goal but he did have a few shots on goal. Not a great game though for the Sens as a team.

I noticed a few things about the Ottawa fans last night that I'm curious about. One is even when the Rangers were running circles around the Sens for a good while there was no booing at all. Also it didn't appear that any fans left the arena until the final Whistle even though it was 4-1 with not much of a chance of a comeback. If that was the garden many seats would have been vacated well before the end. Is it always like that or was it due to the all Canada hockey day festivities going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    the Rangers were running circles around the Sens
    They've been doing that quite a bit lately; 3-0 over the Caps after one. That powerplay of theirs is as good as it gets.

And our penalty killing is impressive too; Capt. Cally gets a s-h'er, 4-1 early 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    I noticed a few things about the Ottawa fans last night that I'm curious about. One is even when the Rangers were running circles around the Sens for a good while there was no booing at all. Also it didn't appear that any fans left the arena until the final Whistle even though it was 4-1 with not much of a chance of a comeback. If that was the garden many seats would have been vacated well before the end. Is it always like that or was it due to the all Canada hockey day festivities going on?
    Ottawa fans don't boo the Sens much. I've said it before, but it bears repeating - Ottawa is basically a one sport/one team town. We really love the Sens, warts and all. The trend for the most part is up (this season may be a small backwards step but overall the trend is up). I think when they were coming off their Cup Final appearance and things were unravelling, there was a lot more displeasure. But since things bottomed out, the fans are behind the team pretty solidly. Remember also, that the Sens are spending about $12M - $13M below the cap. So expectations are a little lower.

It was a sellout yesterday - a little under 20,000 fannies were in the seats. The rink is about 20 - 25 minutes west of downtown. People who live in the east end have a good 40 - 60 minute drive to get home. Traffic is brutal getting out of CTC as well, so it's been my experience that a certain percentage do leave early when the outcome is pretty well determined. But to your point, if there were a lot of children in attendance on account of it being Hockey Day in Canada, then it's very likely that they stayed to the end. It is a pretty big deal up here.

In honour of hockey day, I went over to the neighbourhood rink to play a little shinny. It was the first time that I held a hockey stick in about 15 years and the first time in 10 years that I was on skates. I was pleasantly surprised with my skating. I just bought new skates and they were very comfortable after a short time. My hand-eye coordination was a bit off as I was also wearing contact lenses for the first time in 15 years. All in all, it was a great success. Today, a few of the muscles that haven't been used in 10 years were in open rebellion though!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Straight outta "Slapshot".
    That's what happens when you start the game with your fourth line.

Perhaps Tortorella might consider decaf from now on:

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Tortarella is to have a meeting with NHL brass this morning in regards to his actions in the Calgary game this past weekend.

Of course this is only televised in a 15 minute ESPN slot while Tortorella and the line brawl makes national headlines.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I had to share this.

Hockey fan.jpg

I don't know how to make it larger so you'll have to click on the thumbnail.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I had to share this.

Hockey fan.jpg

nice!

I had to post that on FB, Esther.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I had to post that on FB, Esther.
    That's where I got if from. LOL!

Spread the word of Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I had to share this.

Hockey fan.jpg

Haha! That's awesome.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally