Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The Habs will have players on at least 5 teams in the Olympics:

Canada- Subban, Price

USA- Pacioretty

Czech Rep- Plekanec

Russia- Markov

Switzerland- Diaz
    Don't forget Peter Budaj with Slovakia.

I did not realise Budaj was going to be a part of the Slovak team...

Is there any other NHL team with players representing more nations at the Olympics?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Lightning rookies Ondrej Palat and Radko Gudas are on the Czech team.

And St. Louis is not on Team Canada ?? BURN ! (wait for that to hit the fan !)

Norway, Sweden, Canada and USA for the Rangers
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Brashear was a better player than Carcillo.

Agreed. I dream of a day when NHL teams stop wasting roster spots on goons like Carcillo. It's even more frustrating being a Flyers fan.
    You dream of it? such drama. Hate these players all you want, but they definitely add color and I love it in a love to hate it sort of way . I was never a Carcillo fan, but am a hockey fan enough to admit he's not just a goon. The guy can play 3rd-4th line hockey easily. There's skills. I have read that he was a decent player and out of trouble for the most part with CHI and LA. My fingers are crossed! He'll definitely bring a snarl this team sorely lacks.

Well, enjoy him.

I love hard-hitting hockey, but I hate goonery, and Carcillo was nothing but a goon when he played for the Flyers.

Again, I'm probably biased because of the great love of goonery among Flyers fans. I've met fans who don't care about the outcome of the game so long as one of the opposing players was hurt in a fight.

I enjoyed the Broad Street Bullies in their day, but the NHL and hockey in general have moved on from that. This organization hasn't, in many ways. It's frustrating.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Only two current Senators are going to Sochi - Erik Karlsson and Milan Michalek. But there are a number of former Sens who will be there:

Zdeno Chara
    Marian Hossa
    Andrej Meszaros

Roman Wick
    Julien Vauclair

Daniel Alfredsson
    Jakub Silfverberg

Sami Salo

Kaspars Daugavins

And one other Ottawa connection:

Although none of the players are from Ottawa, two of the brain-trust for the Canadian team are Ottawa boys: Steve Yzerman and Peter Chiarelli are both Ottawa/Nepean born and bred.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 01-09-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

The other piece of news from the Sens camp is that it looks like Assistant GM Tim Murray is heading to Buffalo as their new GM. His resumé is outstanding and he was basically waiting for his Uncle Bryan to retire here in Ottawa, but now it seems that Bryan will be staying on a little longer. (Note that he is 71 years old.)

Good for Tim. It will take a while, but they could kickstart the rebuild with a good return on Ryan Miller. It's too bad that Miller has a limited move clause because he would be a great fit in Edmonton.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Watching the Flyers-Habs game yesterday, I saw 2 teams heading in opposite directions. Flyers couldn't buy a win early in the season while every was coming up roses for the Habs. Today, it looks like the opposite. Flyers playing some of the best hockey in the East while the Habs cannot string together 2 wins in a row, and can barely get a "W" in regulation time...

I only heard the 2nd period on the radio, but it sounds like the Habs are really struggling.

On the other hand, the Flyers have now won 10 straight at home.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Habs take too many stupid penalties and never seem to find a rhythm. Their skill players up front are still too small to generate and sustain any kind of a forecheck: Gionta, Gallagher, Desharnais.... all too small to be consistent.

It's been the same problem for years now. They rely on Price to hold the opponents to 2 goals or less and hope to eek out 2-1 or 3-2 wins.

A lot of the talk last night was of Therrien's handling of Subban - evidently he didn't play much in the 3rd period?

I didn't watch the third. Subban took a stupid penalty to end the second period so I guess Therrien made him pay for it. That means the Habs were down to only 6 defensemen in the third since they only dressed 7 to begin the game..

I'll be honest and state that I am not a fan of Therrien. If the Habs are to sputter through the second half of the season, I'd rather see them miss the playoffs entirely and force management to look for another coach. We could have had Roy easily. Not sure how long his style of coaching will go over in Colorado, but if he'd lit that kind of a fire under the Habs' asses, he'd have gotten a lot of leeway here.

Roy, Rooney and (this feels odd to say) Berube are so far coach of the year candidates.

In more exciting news...Chicago aint so bad! Rangers looked pretty solid last night. Of course this means they will most likely look bad the next game Henrik let in a soft one again, but otherwise played a great game. The team for the most part seems to be getting on the right track.

I still feel a trade-a-comin' though.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Roy, Rooney and (this feels odd to say) Berube are so far coach of the year candidates.

In more exciting news...Chicago aint so bad! Rangers looked pretty solid last night. Of course this means they will most likely look bad the next game Henrik let in a soft one again, but otherwise played a great game. The team for the most part seems to be getting on the right track.

I still feel a trade-a-comin' though.
    Ya see the great hockey I get to watch night after night, Klonk. During the 2nd period, I thought, watch out Rangers, a Blackhawks onslaught is coming. The Rangers held on, though. Kudos to Rangers goalie Lundquist, I did not realize he was having such a lousy season.

You get to beat up on us this Saturday Ken! I better have something else to watch as I'll probably give up after the first period. That's one thing about me and hockey, I will not agonize for an entire 60 minutes if things look bleak. I stuck it out for 2 periods yesterday but I knew the Habs were toast so I curled up in bed with a book instead of watching the 3rd period. I get all 82 Habs games on TV for 2.50/month, so I can be choosy.

I would add Jon Cooper of Tampa Bay to that list. I think he's done wonders with that team.

Speaking of Tampa.... Yzerman is the GM there and head of Team Canada, and he never picked his man St-Louis for Team Canada. Yeah, he's long in the tooth, but he's been having a great year. Maybe Stevie wants the older-timer to get a rest for the last season-ending sprint?

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    I would add Jon Cooper of Tampa Bay to that list. I think he's done wonders with that team.
    I don't know where I got Rooney from I meant Cooper.

I was surprised by that, Yves. I think St. Louie should be on the team. Brent Seabrook too. That was a shocker!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Ya see the great hockey I get to watch night after night, Klonk. During the 2nd period, I thought, watch out Rangers, a Blackhawks onslaught is coming. The Rangers held on, though. Kudos to Rangers goalie Lundquist, I did not realize he was having such a lousy season.
    Oh believe me, Ken, I envy you! The Blackhawks are awesome to watch...so explosive and talented. Top of the heap for sure. Crawford looked sloppy in the first 2 periods, but he was incredible in the 3rd.

And you can't say it's a size issue 'cause they'll be playing on the larger international ice surfaces and there won't be nearly the sort of physical play you get in the NHL. I guess he got squeezed out because there's too much offensive talent from Canada to choose from.

Personally, I think his type of leadership would have been invaluable to Team Canada. Maybe it just became an issue of who do you match him up with...

I would not be surprised if St. Louis ends up in Sochi as an injury replacement, whether it be for Stamkos or someone else who gets hurt between now and when the games begin.

Oh believe me, Ken, I envy you! The Blackhawks are awesome to watch...so explosive and talented. Top of the heap for sure. Crawford looked sloppy in the first 2 periods, but he was incredible in the 3rd.
    Totally agree. They're really a great team.

Thank god that Lacrosse season has started, because I don't think that the Leafs could suck anymore than they are currently sucking. Winter Classic SO win aside they've lost 7-1 to the Rangers, lost 5-3 to the Islanders, and lost 6-1 to the Hurricanes. It seems like their 2014 mantra is "if you're going to lose, lose big".