Page 87 of 402 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Don't tell me.. they're shaped like maple leaves?

Actually, our division will start looking more like it should soon. Toronto is coming around, Ottawa is waking up, the Habs are falling back to reality. The surprise team for me is the Lightning.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    What colour is the sky in your world?
    Nice Cheers reference.

Flyers have now won two - count 'em, 2! - shootouts in a row!

I'm starting to believe that Steve Mason is the real deal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Love the last comment "What are you, the bottle police?"

Happy New Year to you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Yes, the Blues are real, BG. I fear them every time they play the Blackhawks, they've got the skill players and they are tough. If their goalie Halak stays healthy, watch out. Last night's game was sloppy on both sides, the ice surface made the puck bounce every which way. With Detroit now in the East, the Blues now are the Blackhawks most intense rival.
    I dunno Ken, I've been following the note since the late 60's and this is feeling like a pretty familar script, as far as being set up for a disappointment

The Sharks elimitaed us last year in the playoffs, and two of our 7 losses this year are against them - they seem to have our number pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Two things about the Blues:

1) they have a very strong backup goalie in Brian Elliott. He's the kind of player who can go on a roll and win a bunch of games in succession. It doesn't mean that Halak still isn't #1, but Hitchcock is smart enough to ride Elliott until he comes back down to earth.

2) their window to win may be fairly short because Ken Hitchcock has always shown to have a short shelf life as an NHL coach. He seems to lose the room within a few years, so this may have to be their year to beat their demons and go deep.
    It really seemed that Alfred had "lost" the team late last year, but we somehow regrouped and seemed hot going into the postseason

It will be interesting to see how it plays out

Steen is out with concussion symptoms lingering, which will hurt if this get extended

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Winter Classic tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Winter Classic tomorrow.
    The game is only 90 minutes from where I live, but even though I love hockey......sitting outdoors for 5 hours in a 100,000 seat plus stadium in Michigan in January is to0 fricking cold for me.......I must be getting old.......

It is going to be a big party though. Ann Arbor is about 30 minutes from Detroit and Detroit has been having an outdoor hockey festival at Comerica Park (where the Tigers play) all weekend, with the Great Lakes Invitational college tournement, Toronto VS Detroits AHL teams, and 2 alumnigames over the last few days.

All in all it has been a very cool economic bost for the southeast side of the state which needs it bad.

Steve Sly

I'm with you Steve. I could have bought tickets. I was picked in the first round of the ticket lottery, back in 2012 before the Lockout. But I have no desire to sit outside for 5 hours. It's 12 degrees in Detroit right now with a winter weather warning for 6 inches of snow expected. That's not my idea of fun. Although, I'm glad that it's giving the area an economic boost. That's good to hear.

Instead I'm heading over to my Mom's for a New Year's brunch…where I'll be watching the game with my older brothers and other family members. It should be a fun time.

[QUOTE=Yves;200259. The surprise team for me is the Lightning.[/QUOTE]

They're surprising everyone with how the team has come together without Stammer. Who has been skating around at practices for a while now. Goalkeeping has been amazing, and even the shootouts are going their way. I'll bet Stamkos is back before the end of the season. Olympics too ? - I'm not so sure of that one. Go Bolts !

Just found that the Winter Classic is available on the internet for the first time free from NBC.

http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/

I pulled my Leafs Phaneuf jersey out since I refuse to jump on the Bailey Bandwagon, (although coffee and Bailey's is working this AM), for the Iggles, and I know there are some Leafs fans here

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

[QUOTE=ForeverAutumn;200555]It's 12 degrees in Detroit right now with a winter weather warning for 6 inches of snow expected. That's not my idea of fun.
    QUOTE]

We are getting dumped on with snow here in Kalamazoo right now. We are closer to lake Michigan than Ann Arbor so it may be all lake effect snow here, but they will probably get at least some of it this afternoon. And it is very cold and windy out.

Steve Sly

Pierre McGuire creeps me the fuck out.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Pierre McGuire creeps me the fuck out.

How do you think the players on either side of him feel?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

every time this guy interviews someone with that giddy smile of his, it always looks like he's gonna lean in for a make-out.

I guess this could apply to any NHL game too when McGuire's in the building.

mcguire.jpg

Oh man this is screwed up...Joh Michael Liles was traded for Tim Gleason and had to leave Winter Classic during warm-ups. Talk about heartless business!

This between period music sucks - what is this, the fucking Super Bowl?

BG

Brian,
    I hear you brother. As long as the NHL continues to act inferior to the "Big 3" leagues they will be treated that way. Screw the imitation entertainment. Hockey intermissions should be filled with Hammond organ, weiner dog races and spectator shots on goal for prizes. God, I love this game.
    Go Habs!

And what's with the 10 minute buzzer?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    And what's with the 10 minute buzzer?
    They changed ends halfway through the third period so that each team had equal time playing into the wind. Each team gets 30 minutes playing in each direction. This was also done halfway through the OT period (to the Leafs advantage as the buzzer went during a Detriot breakaway). Apparently, this is quite common in outdoor games (according to my brother).

Good game and the first step to the Leafs 2014 Stanley Cup run!

My favourite between-period entertainment is when the little kids (ages 6 - 8) come on in the ice and play. It's hilarious watching how they sort of form a swarm and the puck moves as the swarm moves. Every so often, there's one kid who can skate circles around the others and he or she just lights it up. And when one kid falls and causes a multi-player pile up.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Watching the Winter Classic brought back lots of memories of playing on the outdoor rink in the snow. It also reminded me why I much prefer to play indoors!

BTW, I recently decided to start playing recreational hockey again. I haven't played in over 15 years for a variety of reasons. But I just invested in new contact lenses, a new pair of skates, my first composite stick (they were all wood when I was playing). I still have to get a few more things like elbow pads, a new visor and pants, but the rest of my equipment is in decent enough shape. Bit I'll tell you, it's frightening how expensive equipment is now.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Its crazy isn't it? One of the major reasons I stuck with inline hockey That and easy access to play. Cool that you're getting back into it though!

Fun game today if not a little sloppy because of the weather. Over 105K at the game...that's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Good game and the first step to the Leafs 2014 Stanley Cup run!
    Detroit is really struggling right now. They do have quite a few injury problems, but with all the young talent that was developed with the Griffins over the past few years, I really thought they would be playing at a higher level by now. There is still a long way to go, but they need to take it up a few notches if they want any chances at the cup this year.

Steve Sly