Page 83 of 403 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 10059

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

I was shocked at the number of empty seats in Florida last night. I know the Sens aren't a big draw, but I'm guessing there were only 5-6K people in the stands. Official attendance was 10K.

^^^ I was at the Ranger game there last week and it was probably 3/4 full with half being Ranger fans and we were able to get lower bowl center ice seats on stubhub for $83 a ticket. It's a great place for out of towners to see there team but I'm not sure how long the franchise can survive without more local support.

And yet moving these teams to Canadian cities that would fill the arenas every night(coughcoughQuebeccoughcough) is out of the question...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

^^^Yes because all the TV money is in the States. No, wait a minute ... Um, over to you Gary. Gary?

And speaking of Rogers, they just secured the naming rights to the new rink being built in Edmonton.

They have a new CEO who just started on Monday. I think he's hungry to make his bonuses. Can't wait to see what he does in his second week.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    ^^^Yes because all the TV money is in the States. No, wait a minute ... Um, over to you Gary. Gary?
    It's because NBC does not want to broadcast games that involve teams from cities that the average American has never heard of...

Rangers finally signed Lundqvist to long term deal 7 years 59.5 million....with the exception of the last game backup Cam Talbot play has almost been better even though Henrik has been steadily improving.....hopefully now that the contract is out of the way he'll settle in with his spectacular goaltending that we've come to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    And yet moving these teams to Canadian cities that would fill the arenas every night(coughcoughQuebeccoughcough) is out of the question...
    Markham City Council (the city I actually live in, just north of Toronto) just approved a 19,000+ seat arena to be built here. The rumour is that they are prepping for an NHL bid. As if the NHL would allow another team 50km away from the Leafs home ice. Silly people.

Flyers put up a BIG win in Detroit tonight, in Detroit, where they have struggled for years. Detroit jumped out to a 3-1 lead, but the Flyers came back to win 6-3. They haven't won too many games like this this season. Nice effort after a terrible game in Minnesota.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Habs have snuck up to being 1 point behind Boston with a big game between the two teams tonight. Habs played last night though, while Boston has been off since Saturday...

It looks like Kessel might be added to the Leafs list of injured players. He left practice yesterday with an "unspecified injury". Bozak, Lupul, and Bolland are all already out. Needless to say I'm not expecting the losing streak to end tonight.

^^^ And Kadri is on bereavement leave. And the HBO cameras are just starting to put everyone under the intense spotlight!

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    ^^^ And Kadri is on bereavement leave. And the HBO cameras are just starting to put everyone under the intense spotlight!
    Yep, forgot about that. Oh well, there's always January. Where's that Olympic break when you need it?!

Greetings all!

Just found this site. Prog and LA Kings fan here. Amazed to have such a huge NHL thread going on here, but, WOW! Prog and hockey....together???

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    It looks like Kessel might be added to the Leafs list of injured players. He left practice yesterday with an "unspecified injury". Bozak, Lupul, and Bolland are all already out. Needless to say I'm not expecting the losing streak to end tonight.
    I'm happy to have been wrong about this one. Yeah, it was an OT goal, but I'm still counting it as a win.

Welcome Schizoidman!

A lot of $$, but I'm glad to see Henrik will be spending the rest of his career with the Rangers. Now that his contract is out of the way maybe he can concentrate on leaving less rebounds! Played an awesome game last night.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Habs won it on pure guts last night... and a healthy dose of Carey Price! First place...while it lasts...

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    A lot of $$, but I'm glad to see Henrik will be spending the rest of his career with the Rangers. Now that his contract is out of the way maybe he can concentrate on leaving less rebounds! Played an awesome game last night.
    As a Ranger hater, I was happy to see this, too, actually. Guy always seemed like a class act, and I love when great players remain with one team.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Habs won it on pure guts last night... and a healthy dose of Carey Price! First place...while it lasts...
    Price is a good goalie. I was doing some reading up on him and came across this on Wiki...

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Carey Price was born in Vancouver, British Columbia but was raised in the remote town of Anahim Lake in northern British Columbia. He was taught to play goaltender by his father on a frozen creek during the winter months and played organized hockey in Williams Lake nearly five and a half hours away by car. Having to make the ten hour round trip three days a week, Carey's father bought a plane to fly him to practice and games.
    His dad bought a plane! Now that's a committed Hockey Dad

Price has been technically sound for a few seasons but is now finally reaching the maturity required to forge the mental toughness needed to be a top goalie in the NHL. I hope he represents Team Canada as the starting goalie in the Olympics.

Yves, don't downplay the additional pressure of playing in Montreal. Everyone on the Canadiens is under a lot of pressure, but none more so than the goaltender.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    As a Ranger hater, I was happy to see this, too, actually. Guy always seemed like a class act, and I love when great players remain with one team.
    Yeah, Hank is a classy dude. Most NHLers are class acts for that matter. Even the ones who you hate on the ice seem like great people off the ice

And while Carey Price is being mentioned, I've always been a fan. He's cool as a cucumber and if anyone can handle the pressure of Montreal it's him. Seems like a great guy to be around too.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

He's pretty laid back vs the typically high-strung Hab fan.. A couple of years back he was having a terrible training camp/pre-season and he'd be questioned about it constantly until he finally told the media/fans to "chill out! It's only pre-season!"

Needless to say, he struggled almost that entire year and the media/fans never 'chilled out'. This is Montreal for fuck's sake!

You guys in the States have to understand that things are different in Canada when it comes to hockey coverage. There's nowhere near as much interest in other professional or collegiate sports here as there is in the USA. So every game, every roster move, every quote, every broken fingernail is under intense scrutiny up here. So the quote from Cary Price above is absolutely true - the media here really needs to chill out and like, take a day off now and then. Having so many Montreal and Toronto fans here in Ottawa just means we get that much more NHL coverage in the press and on the radio. And believe me, there's a ton of Sens coverage every single day on the radio and in the papers from the day Rookie Camp begins until the final game of the Cup finals. My favourite is the call-in shows (usually after each game). If you aren't sure what "knee jerk reaction" means, you should listen to these callers!

Here's another example: there was a decent sized article in one of the papers yesterday about the progress of Ottawa's first round choice last year - Curtis Lazar of the Edmonton Oil Kings. They are already talking about his overall package being the stuff from which NHL captains are made! Can you believe that they're already sewing a "C" on this guy's jersey and he's still in junior? Incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Most NHLers are class acts for that matter. Even the ones who you hate on the ice seem like great people off the ice

Sidney Crosby is a whiny douchebag both on and off the ice.