Page 82 of 402 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

So a group of old NHLers are following the NFL's lead and suing the league over head injuries. I guess it was only a matter of time.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

And the Charlotte Checkers have released DiPietro.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Having witnessed the decline and fall of another first overall "can't miss" pick - Alexandre Daigle - it's sad seeing DiPietro's last chance at saving his NHL career come to an end. Maybe he can play in Europe. I think Daigle did that for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I guess it was only a matter of time.
    Yep. My exact thoughts, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Having witnessed the decline and fall of another first overall "can't miss" pick - Alexandre Daigle - it's sad seeing DiPietro's last chance at saving his NHL career come to an end. Maybe he can play in Europe. I think Daigle did that for a few years.
    I remember Daigle with the Rangers. What a waste!!

So a group of old NHLers are following the NFL's lead and suing the league over head injuries. I guess it was only a matter of time.
    I have a good friend going through this right now. He is almost completely house-bound. Has had to retire from his job, give up playing all sports, give up coaching his sons' hockey and lacrosse teams, can't watch his sons play unless there are very few people at the game and there is quiet corner that he can sit in, and can barely tolerate watching TV. This is all from multiple concussions and head injuries through his life as an active but non-professional athlete.

Unfortunately, he has no-one to sue for his current conditions. I used to think that the players had a right to sue the league. Now I'm not so sure. John had no idea that those injuries would come back to haunt him in his 50's. I don't know how the NHL and other sports leagues were supposed to know. Now that they do, they have to take this seriously and make changes to protect the players. But I don't think that they can or should be held responsible for past injuries.

John and his wife have now pulled their sons out of their hockey league because they felt the league wasn't doing enough to protect the players. These kids won't be NHL stars, but they might have qualified for hockey scholarships and are at the age where this could be very important to them. Their future good health is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    I don't like when one company gets pretty much exclusivity - it's bad for the consumer.
    It certainly sucks for those of us who don't have cable and thus don't get any of the Rogers stations. Supposedly CBC will only be allowed to broadcast the Stanley Cup Final but nothing in the first three rounds of playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    And the Charlotte Checkers have released DiPietro.
    How will they ever replace his 5.18 GAA and .846 sieve percentage?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    It certainly sucks for those of us who don't have cable and thus don't get any of the Rogers stations. Supposedly CBC will only be allowed to broadcast the Stanley Cup Final but nothing in the first three rounds of playoffs.
    It's the turning of a page, Brad. Rogers and Bell are determined to kill Free TV. It's bad for business.

Wow. This Toronto/Pittsburg game has been a great match. 5-5 gone into OT. A Pittsburg goal was disallowed for a high stick. Thank goodness, or it would have been a straight loss for the Leafs. We can still lose, but for now we're still alive.

Rangers put their "other" team on the ice tonight; after not showing up in Tampa (5-0) last night, they headed south and beat up on the Panthers 5-2.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Leafs lost in the shootout, but I don't understand their reasoning for the first two shooters, Bozak and Clarkson. They wouldn't have been my choices.

On a different note, the Leafs now have the distinction of being the first team this year to not get a shot on goal in the third period.

Kudos to Chuck Kaiton. Last night's Canes-Devils game was his 3,000th doing radio play-by-play for the Hartford/Carolina franchise. He's easily my favorite pbp guy in ANY sport.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Rangers put their "other" team on the ice tonight; after not showing up in Tampa (5-0) last night, they headed south and beat up on the Panthers 5-2.
    Oddly enough, we played 10 times better in the Tampa game! Rangers were lucky last night as Hank bailed 'em out. Florida badly outplayed us.

Habs won their 4th in a row. It was against the lowly Sabres, and it was ugly, but it's still 2 points. Habs have just begun an 11 games in 25 days stretch. I have to assume most teams will face a similar stretch due to the Olympics break in mid-February.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Habs won their 4th in a row. It was against the lowly Sabres, and it was ugly, but it's still 2 points. Habs have just begun an 11 games in 25 days stretch. I have to assume most teams will face a similar stretch due to the Olympics break in mid-February.
    The Leafs are off tonight and then have 14 games in the next 25 days. They only have 4 away games in December though, so at least there isn't a lot of travelling for them.

I hope the Leafs can play better against the Habs on Saturday than they've played in their last two games. With the Habs winning streak and the Leafs playing like the old Leafs, I don't have much hope for a win.

Habs will be playing a second game in two days as they have an afternoon game against the Caps tomorrow. I'm guessing that Budaj will get the nod between the pipes tomorrow to keep Price fresh for Saturday. Budaj has proven to be a very capable back-up so I'm not too concerned.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Oddly enough, we played 10 times better in the Tampa game! Rangers were lucky last night as Hank bailed 'em out. Florida badly outplayed us.
    I agree as I was at the game with awesome seats with south Florida prices..lol.. and the Panthers were out playing the Rangers but Henrik was on top of his game. Although that first power play was a beauty!

Reminder; tomorrow's (Friday) Rangers/Bruins game has a 1pm est start time and will be broadcast on NBC.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I have had 6 concussions per the doctors and maybe one more. So far the only changes in my life are that I do not / can not go on roller coasters anymore (when I get off, you would think I was a stumbling drunk), and that if I took the SAT's again, I would score SIGNIFICANTLY (I really mean significantly) lower.

Every once in a while, I let my guard down, and think/recognize some of the "coming attractions". Scary stuff.

I think back to when I started playing hockey in the early 70's, everyone's dream was to catch someone with one of those "rolling hip checks" that guys like Brad Park, Hilliard Graves, and others seemed to do. You were a star if you could get a guy to flip over. Well guys like Bobby Orr and others started to suffer knee injuries. So organized hockey, and the NHL in particular outlawed the low hits to save knee injuries in the 90's. If you can't hit low, what is the other option? High Maybe????

Do you think guys like Michael Sauer and Marc Savard would rather an early knee replacement instead of sitting in dark rooms while battling depression?

^ I played high school football for one season. We had a running back who was more in the fullback model. We ran pretty basic plays - lots of off-tackle, up-the-gut type plays. His average was probably 8 yards a carry. Didn't have breakaway speed, but was so strong in his lower body that he was very difficult to bring down. So guys started hitting him high.

I think we played 6 regular season games, two playoffs and we went to the city championship (where we lost 12-0 on two long bombs to the same receiver.) Dave probably suffered 6 concussions in those 9 games. He would come out of game and would be laughing one second and crying the next. Shivering and shaking. It was really scary to witness.

He went on to play Canadian university football and was drafted into the CFL where he played several games for Toronto and Montreal.

I haven't seen him since we graduated high school in 1974, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is suffering with long-term head injury symptoms now. They used to say, "He just had his bell rung. He'll be fine." Back then, we just didn't know what the long term affects would be.

I've been severely concussed at least twice in my life (diagnosed) and when I think about there were several other times when I also most likely sustained concussions of varying degrees. I haven't had any medical analyses done, but I can say for sure that I'm not as sharp mentally as I was even ten years ago, and I have a little trouble speaking with the clarity that I did when I was younger. It's also harder for me to organize things, from thoughts and words and notes and chords to space and physical belongings. Those are things that used to be second nature to me.

I can only imagine what it's like being Marc Savard or Tony Dorsett.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Come on, Leafs! 4 losses in a row now? You can't beat the Habs on Saturday night? That's your THING! (angry emoticon)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, the Leafs have gone back to sucking...as the Leafs are prone to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Well, the Leafs have gone back to sucking...as the Leafs are prone to do.
    It'll get worse before it gets better.