Page 69 of 403 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119169 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 10055

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Pre-season game being televised tonight on Leafs TV! Leafs and Flyers. I suspect we'll be hitting our favourite pub for a snack and some hockey to see how our team looks. LET THE SEASON BEGIN! (even if it is just pre-season)

Our traditional fantasy league is full but there is still plenty of room in our new keeper league. If anyone is interested send me a message. Draft is next Sunday, Sept. 22nd!

Watched the Jets-Caps pre-season tilt. Interesting to watch a game with the hybrid icing and the new shallow nets, allowing for a lot more room for passes and REALLY quick wraparounds.

Rangers/Devils preseason tomorrow night...I can't wait.

Are those new things to stay, Brian, or were they just being tested in preseason? I'm interested in how a shallow net may effect the goalies decision to go back there to play the puck. Hybrid icing I'm on the fence with. There's something old school and thrilling about a race for the puck, but it also may be a disaster waiting to happen.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The annual "maybe this year the goaltending will be good" hopes begin again!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I think Mason and Emery are solid. Of the two I'm gonna say Mason wins the starting slot. Just be prepared for him to make a lot of saves while Mark Streit is caught up ice

Hybrid icing is being tested in the preseason. The Board of Governor's has given approval but not the NHLPA, at least not yet. The player's association is supposed to make a decision regarding their endorsement sometime prior to the regular season.

Personally I'm in favor of it, although I know there will be some controversial calls regarding whether or not the forward has a legit shot at making a play for the puck. I'm tired of seeing players get hurt on what are frequently meaningless icing plays, though I admit they can be exciting to watch.

The shallow nets will be in place for the regular season. I was really surprised how much more space it gave skaters to work with behind the net. In the Caps-Jets game last night, a Winnipeg player scored one helluva quick wraparound goal and Holtby simply didn't have enough time to react. Now admittedly this kid was a strong skater and he was just flying but, with the old net, those extra fractions of a second where the player has to skate around the deeper net may have given Holtby enough time to slide across and make the save. It's going to be interesting to see how the goalies adjust to this one.

Yeah with more room back there you don't have to check your speed as much. Should make for some exciting plays, and yes it should keep the goalies closer to the net. Those wanderers are going to be looking at more pucks in the back of the net if they don't change their game.

I've always been in favor of changing the icing rules. Too many careers have been ended or put on hold by the end boards.

OK I joined up in the keeper league, but now there are five teams . . . . anybody else?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Cool moves by the Pens org.-

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Good stuff! On the ice though, there really aren't many NHL players I dislike more.

Cmon people! I know there's some big hockey fans here...jump in our Fantasy League!

Yeah, this keeper league will not make it unless we get a handful more to join up.

Sorry guys, I don't do fantasy league stuff... even in football where my knowledge goes much deeper than the NHL...

Watched a little bit of 2 Habs pre-season games. They lost both but a few rookies looked pretty good; and we seemed to be a more physical team than last year.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Sorry guys, I don't do fantasy league stuff... even in football where my knowledge goes much deeper than the NHL...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Too bad. For big fans, Fantasy is a great way to learn about players and teams outside your own. I love it. Though I'm awful because my heart always clouds my decision making For instance, I refused to play P Manning against my Giants last week! Not a winning formula.

In any case, looks like the Keeper League won't have enough...bummer.

Meanwhile, I like how the Rangers have looked so far. Lots of young talent to consider! So great to see Mark Staal back out there and looking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Fantasy is a great way to learn about players and teams outside your own.
    Yeah, it's also had the effect of making me watch a lot more western conference games, especially the late night ones with the Cali teams or Phoenix or whatever.

Does anybody else have the Yahoo Fantasy Hockey app for iPhones, etc? If so, can you manage the fantasy draft from the phone? I just installed that app tonight but I didn't see anything right away that indicated that I can manage the actual draft from the app. It's highly unlikely that I'll be able to be signed in at a desktop at 6PM Monday.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Jack I would imagine that you would be able to but I can't say that with any real degree of certainty.

Hey Jack, I was just putzin' around with the Yahoo Fantasy stuff. I looked for anything to help you out with live drafting from your phone, but unfortunately you're out of luck. Yahoo has an app for Fantasy Hockey, but it's only good for after you have drafted. I know you can live draft on the phone with Fantasy Football though.

So, what do you guys think of the penalty now given to players who take their helmets off before a fight? There was a fight the other night in the Devil/Islander game where to avoid the penalty, they both agreed to take each others helmet off

Or how about no more tucking in of jerseys?

So is the keeper league "on" with six teams now?

I saw where the traditional PE league's draft is at 9pm rather than 6pm EDT tomorrow. So if you moved it Brian, thanks. If I was in error, never mind.

I can be logged in at 9pm no problem.

Well, it was no Hextall vs. Potvin, but I enjoyed Bernier smacking Miller around last night. Has the "Battle Of The QEW" rivalry been renewed? I look forward to the next Leafs/Sabres game. But seriously, John Scott is 6"8 and 265 pounds and he goes after Kessel? It's too bad there's no extra penalty minutes for going after someone so much smaller.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I didn't see the game last night. All I saw were the highlights of Kessel's slashing on the news, leading me to think "there goes the start of Kessel's season to suspensions". However, here's a good article and video of the full turn of events. It'll be interesting to see how the league responds (if at all).

Lof of fighting in the pre-season.. Leafs-Sabres last night reeked of playoff hockey, as did the Habs-Canes game on Saturday. Canes wanted to avenge a humiliating 6-0 loss the night before so they played the goon card. Habs got some guys who'll drop the gloves this year though...

Yeah, Montreal definitely got tougher. Can't have lil Prusty fighting all the heavies. He's a valuable player on the ice.

The Toronto/Buffalo brawl was fun John Scott is a useless plug. Not a fan of the stickwork but good on Kessel for sticking up for himself. There's no way he should drop his mitts against that bohemoth. Apparently Scott was retaliating for a guy who was in a lopsided fight getting KO'd. Clarkson will get 10 for leaving the bench. That was stupid because it will hurt the Leafs when the season starts. He's a good player.

Fantasy draft tonight...this time I won't forget

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Clarkson will get 10 for leaving the bench. That was stupid because it will hurt the Leafs when the season starts. He's a good player.
    Yep. He gets to play the pre-season games but misses the first ten of the season. Whereas Kessel is suspended the rest of the pre-season (three games) but will be on the ice vs. the Habs next week for the opener.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I blame Carlyle for what ensued. He's got the last switch. Once you see what Buffalo is doing you pull the Kessel line off the ice throw out your own goons. He left Kessel out there. There's no way an NHL player is going to back down no matter how big the opponent is so Kessel did what he could. He had the presence of mind to not swing his stick high or he could have gotten himself in a lot worse trouble.

...all of this in preseason! This season is going to b e a war of attrition!