Page 67 of 402 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Division re-alignments, too. 'Cause, evidently, the NHL can't go 5 years without messing with the divisions.
    I agree, but they had to do something about Winnipeg being in the Southeast Division. No way that was going to work. Don't like the 14 team West and 16 team East, or Detroit being in the East but it does open up the chance for two more teams. Seattle and somewhere else?
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Right! Because they NEED more teams!!!!

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Right! Because they NEED more teams!!!!

Don't get me wrong. I don't support expansion, but Seattle has been a long ignored market that would support an NHL franchise very well. Plus there would be a natural rivalry with Vancouver. Not sure where they would put another team, maybe Milwaukee? Always struck me as odd why they don't have a team.

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Always struck me as odd that Florida has any.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    Not sure where they would put another team, maybe Milwaukee?
    Milwaukee isn't on the radar. Quebec City is.

Blame Bettman

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Milwaukee isn't on the radar. Quebec City is.
    I know, but living in the "State of Hockey" (Minnesota), for the last three years has made me wonder why the state next door has no NHL team. This is coming from a born and raised Los Angelenos.

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Though this tends to argue the point for expansion. I don't get the Florida teams either, but one has won a SC in the last ten years. The NHL seems to be the prime example of parity in sports with no repeat champion since 97-98. Is that a good thing? I don't know.

From "Fanboys" 2009.

The realignment itself was definitely needed. Detroit and Columbus needed to be in the east, Winnipeg needed to be in the west. Now that Phoenix appears to be stable for the near future, I have a little more confidence that the way things are set up is actually going to work. And, for the moment, Bettman himself seems to be dead set against expansion (an opinion to change at a moments notice, of course), meaning that relocation is the only way that markets like Seattle, Quebec City, suburban Toronto, Kansas City--all places with new arenas or planned new arenas--will get their teams. With Nashville, Phoenix, and the Isles now apparantly stable, I can't think of another team that may be in danger of relocation.

If the Coyotes story taught us anything about this whole relocation process, it may be that local governments are willing to go into debt, sometimes massive amounts of debt, to avoid a situation where an arena loses its primary tenant and, in theory, the primary reason for the construction of said arena in the first place. To me, that's why we won't see teams like the Panthers, who are the sole tenants at the BBT Center (the Heat play in a different arena), move anytime soon unless there is some major rift between ownership and the local government that owns and operates the arena. Of course, if a team is sold that could also change the situation, especially if new ownership is willing to pay any penalties associated with breaking the arena lease.

I hear what you are saying Brian, but to go on for years with an unbalanced East and West makes no sense. If the NHL weren't looking to expand, why not 15 teams in each conference?

From "Fanboys" 2009.

I don't really see what the problem is with the unbalanced conferences. Geographically this clearly makes the most sense. Keeping Detroit or Columbus in the west (which is what would've achieved the balance you allude to) fails to eliminate the travel problems, the TV problems, etc., that have hurt them as teams in the eastern time zone playing a vast majority of their games in the west.

How can Detroit and Chicago not be in the same division? And what expensive focus group worked months to come up with the name 'Metropolitan' division?

You are correct as far as geography is concerned, but with the same amount of teams making the playoffs, eight from each conference, is where the problem lies. It is easier for the Western team to get a playoff birth.

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Yeah, a higher percentage of western teams get in, but the Board of Governor's clearly felt that fixing things for the 82 game regular season was preferential to sticking a team from the eastern time zone into the west and I totally get the logic behind that decision. We had a similar problem for years when there were 21 teams in the league, 11 in the east and 10 in the west, and I never had a problem with it then either...and that's when there were some majorly wack things geographically in the league. If there was a major imbalance...say 18 in one conference, 12 in another...then I would have a problem with it.

Lots of transplanted New Yorkers and Canadians live in Florida.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The Buffalo Sabres fire sale, part 2

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Blame Bettman
    Oh, believe me, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    How can Detroit and Chicago not be in the same division? And what expensive focus group worked months to come up with the name 'Metropolitan' division?
    Excellent points on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    You are correct as far as geography is concerned, but with the same amount of teams making the playoffs, eight from each conference, is where the problem lies. It is easier for the Western team to get a playoff birth.
    Absolutely a stupid consequence of this re-alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Lots of transplanted New Yorkers and Canadians live in Florida.
    So what? What sports leagues seem to neglect is that these transplanted folks don't give a shit about the Florida teams (as evidenced by their attendance) - they still root for their original teams.

MLB made the same stupid mistake.

So what? What sports leagues seem to neglect is that these transplanted folks don't give a shit about the Florida teams (as evidenced by their attendance) - they still root for their original teams.

MLB made the same stupid mistake.
    So what? It's all about $$, you know that though. Do you think the league really cares if the home team is rooted for? As long as there are butts in seats that will buy beer, peanuts, hot dogs etc. then the owners are happy and the league is happy. There are plenty of arenas and stadiums that have a majority of fans at certain games rooting harder for the visiting teams. Come to a Nets - Lakers game in Brooklyn and it's at least 75-25 for the visitors. All those transplanted folks down there will go for the sport, and especially if their team is playing. Should the home team actually do well, then maybe some locals will start showing up in droves. Just watch a Marlins game; remember they were winning, fans showed up, they won it all, more fans bought tix, the owners cleaned house saving even more loot even though tix were purchased. That stadium is empty now and the folks showing up are there when the Mets are in town or Atlanta is there, to root for the visitors. And buy beer, hot dogs etc.

Anywho, is old man (41) Jagr heading to NJ to fill Ilya's skates??

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...ers-ny-rangers
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

^ the problem is owners make money regardless of the product they put on the field. Marlins' ownership is raking in the cash regardless of attendance. They dump payroll and make even more money. They don't give a shot if fans come or if the team wins. I'm not saying owners shouldn't care about making a profit. But what's going on in Miami is a debacle, and MLB has to know it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^ the problem is owners make money regardless of the product they put on the field. Marlins' ownership is raking in the cash regardless of attendance. They dump payroll and make even more money. They don't give a shot if fans come or if the team wins. I'm not saying owners shouldn't care about making a profit. But what's going on in Miami is a debacle, and MLB has to know it.
    Exactly.

Don't get me started on Jeffrey Loria. Look up the word "carpetbagger" in the dictionary and they have his picture. I think he's a POS if only for what he did in Montreal.

An article on The Hockey News website (thn.com...having trouble linking directly to the article, sorry) suggests that the NHL is ripe for expansion to 32 teams, pointing specifically to or suggesting the following:
    -the new arenas in Markham and Quebec City, markets where new teams would with almost absolute certainty be well supported (the author of the article mentions Seattle as the destination for the 'Yotes when they finally fail for good in the desert)
    -veteran players are better conditioned than in the past and are playing longer, making the pool of players larger
    -younger players are entering the league and making an impact at an earlier age, in part due to superior prep. at the CHL and NCAA levels; again, this would indicate a larger pool of appropriate players
    -the list of notable FAs that have yet to be signed points to the fact that there is room for expansion
    -the NHL is now entering one of its longest periods without expansion since the 'next six' were added in 1967

Now I don't necessarily agree with the above arguments but I do think that if there is sufficient talent for 32 teams and 32 markets where the NHL works then expansion would be fine. While there may be the markets I'm not entirely certain that the way play has evolved over the past decade plus indicates an overabundance of talent. At the point where play increasingly appears to be dictated by rules and rule changes rather than the abilities and creativity of the players on the ice I'm hesitant to endorse adding two more teams and, ultimately, watering down the talent pool even further. That to me was one of the aftereffects of too much expansion early in the Bettman era and helped lead to the need for a lot of the rule changes we've seen over the past 15 years or so.
    Last edited by oilersfan; 07-26-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Bergman? I thought he played defence for Detroit in those bad old days.

Sorry...autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Sorry...autocorrect.
    If only we could get rid the little runt that easily.