Page 64 of 402 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Rush posted the pic of Geddy and Alex kissing the cup (6 of 19 in that link) on their FB page.

The NHL Draft just started... and no surprise for the #1 overall selection...

Cory Schneider to New Jersey!

Also: Tyler Kennedy to SJ, Minny trades Cal Clutterbuck to NYI for Nino Niederreiter
    Last edited by oilersfan; 06-30-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Cory Schneider to New Jersey!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Chicago sends Dave Bolland to Toronto for picks

Chicago sends Micheal Frolik to Winnipeg for picks

With both Bolland and Frolik gone, Marcus Kruger is the only player left on that fourth line that performed so well in the playoffs and scored the Cup winning goal.
    Last edited by oilersfan; 06-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.

What a great "feel good" move... Martin Brodeur gets to announce his son Anthony get selected by the Devils.

Can't stand Brodeur, but that's really cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hard to have to wait until 65th for some Ranger action, but that's what happens when you trade your fuCKIN PICKS SATHER!!! <slaps forehead>

All in all, very disappointingly quiet on the trade front (other than the Cory Schneider shocker) with all the pre-draft rumors that were floating around. Some great talent was snatched up in the 1st round! Glad to see EDM finally decided it's OK to draft a player that plays defense! That Nurse kid looks like a tough mo fo!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

WeatherWiseCDC
    Most Canucks fans are devastated. After a year of establishing Luongo as the goaltender to be moved, this came as a surprise. Luongo had already sold his house and was expecting to be traded. Over the past year, he has distanced himself from the team. Schneider, meanwhile, has been treated all year as the team's starter, and many believe him to be the better goaltender of the two at this point. Luongo's contract is undesirable from the Canucks' standpoint, and moving him -- even for nothing -- seemed to make more sense.

If the team was ever going to trade Schneider, most expected him to be traded for a package of useful assets. As it stands, the Canucks overpaid for a single first-round pick; Schneider's value is around that of a fifth-overall pick; his talent level and level of play have reached that point. The New Jersey Devils have found Martin Brodeur's heir in net. Nobody knows whether Bo Horvat will ever equate to the sort of value Schneider had. This reeks of desperation from Gillis, and the fallout is now becoming apparent. How Luongo handles this will be determined within the next few months. In addition, the challenge of having Luongo as the starter will only return -- prior to this year, he was already being booed out of town. If he struggles, it's inevitable he and Gillis will become major scapegoats.

Congratulations, New Jersey.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 07-01-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Last night I was at the Rush show in Grand Rapids Michigan. During YYZ a bunch of Grand Rapids Griffins players came out on stage with the Calder Cup (AHL Championship trophy). 2 cups in 2 nights, obviously the guys in Rush appreciate hockey.

Steve Sly

^ They're Canadian. It's in their blood! Kim Mitchell (of the band Max Webster) tells stories of touring with Rush in the late 70's and renting ice together for late night hockey games to unwind after a show.

Geddy is also a big Baseball fan and has seasons tickets in a private section right behind home plate for the Toronto Blue Jays. I sometimes get tickets from one of our suppliers in the 11th row and I can see him from our seats.

I'm sure this will come as no surprise...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-contract.html

Let me tell you about Canadian bands and hockey...

In 1989 I went to see the Tragically Hip at a bar here in Montreal. The show was slated for 8:00Pm. The band did not make their way on stage until 8:50PM. Gordon Downie steps up to the mike and apologizes, but they were watching the first perios of the Habs-Bruins game on TV. My level of respect for the band grew exponentionally!

Easter, 1984. We're at a small bar outside Montreal. My friends' cover band is on stage. About halfway through their set they realise that nobody is facing the stage anymore. We're all crowded at the bar watching the famous brawl between the Habs and the Nords. They cut their set off and make their way down to watch. Once the dust settled, they climb back on stage and pick up the song they were playing exactly where they left it off.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Cool stories, Yves.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Vinny Lecavalier with Philly, 5 year contract.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...al-with-flyers

Full no movement clause as part of that deal. Kinda surprised the Flyers agreed to that...

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    Vinny Lecavalier with Philly, 5 year contract.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...al-with-flyers
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Full no movement clause as part of that deal. Kinda surprised the Flyers agreed to that...
    Hmmm....

So the Pens have worked things out so that they were able to re-sign both Letang and Dupuis. How they're able to make this work in terms of the cap is beyond me...

the flyers are a joke these days. i watched enough lecavalier this year to see that he's on the downside.
    lose briere and the goalie and pick up lecavalier and streit. genius at work. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    the flyers are a joke these days. i watched enough lecavalier this year to see that he's on the downside.
    lose briere and the goalie and pick up lecavalier and streit. genius at work. lol
    Yep.

I think Lecavalier is an upgrade over Briere, but a 5-year deal is silly.

Now they're talking about either Emery or Thomas in goal.

emery played solid this year and would be a great pick up for them. thomas, i wouldn't waste time on.

It's going to be pretty quiet in Ottawa this summer. The Sens are operating on a self-imposed $50M budget. Alfie's coming back, so that will take out around $5M from the pot. I'm assuming that Melnyk will start spending if the Sens get close to the elite teams, but that's at least one more year away. So there's zero likelihood that they will pursue a guy like Danny Brier (even if he has some local connections - born and raised in Gatineau). Until then, it's going to be organic growth within the system and potentially trading some young guys for a proven scorer. The plan was to dangle some young guys to a team that's up against the cap, but if Pittsburgh can sign both their impending UFA's, the chances of other teams working out similar deals makes it less likely that they will have to unload.

Totally agree that Holmgren and Snider are screwing up at every turn. Here's a clue - get a goalie who doesn't suck and isn't a lunatic! Vinnie is a forward, right?

flyers gotta be stinging from the devils getting schneider. lou out-foxes em at every turn lol

emery played solid this year and would be a great pick up for them.
    I just can't see Chicago letting him go.

flyers gotta be stinging from the devils getting schneider. lou out-foxes em at every turn lol
    Yes, yes he does. Which is why his team has been so much more successful.

Oh, and the Islanders have bought out Rick DiPietro.