Page 63 of 402 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Flyers have now amnestied Danny Briere and Ilya Bryzgalov.

Anyone know of a good goaltender that's available?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Tortorella is vowing to change his image as being a lunatic. As if, ...

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...canucks-coach/

Which will happen first? Torts changing his image, or the Flyers sorting out their goaltending situation?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post

LOVE IT! Stealing it for my FB page.

WeatherWiseCDC
    I'm very impressed with what Tortorella spoke about today and how he presented himself. The Canucks need a culture change, and he will bring that. Accountability, improvement, and toughness are all things the team needs -- things Vigneault couldn't bring to the Canucks. I'm excited to see what Torts can do. The brand had become quite stale after the Canucks were eliminated from the postseason this year. This hiring is a breath of fresh air for the city. There's a buzz in the air now.

The team needs bite -- discipline, focus, determination, aggression. They were a soft, passive team; now they're moving towards the opposite direction. This is a step in the right direction. I wasn't sure at first when I heard he was a possible candidate to become the team's coach, but his press conference today really sold me on his approach.

Also, an incredible game last night. I was thrilled when Bickell tied the game; when Bolland scored seconds later, I was overwhelmed with excitement. What a game.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Amazing season for the Hawks. Ice was ready for game 7 but...
    1017587_399693073474905_808372946_n.jpg
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Happy to see the hawks take the cup. What a finish! I just couldn't get myself to root for the bruins after they disposed of the Rangers. It's been a tough week for Boston fans losing the cup and the Aaron Hernandez situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    LOVE IT! Stealing it for my FB page.
    You can steal this one also while you're at it...

Quote Originally Posted by Brave73 View Post
    You can steal this one also while you're at it...

Done. Thanks! (love Toronto. LOL!)

Ok, so the next big thing is the draft. There is question as to who Colorado will take. They should take Seth Jones (defense) because that's where they need to improve the most, but Nathan McKinnon (centre) is probably the better player. Jonathon Drouin is just a smidgen behind them.

There may be some wheeling and dealing on or before draft day for those teams that need to shed some salaries. It's always a tough call to swap an NHL-ready player for a prospect and/or draft pick.

I also think that after the David Clarkson frenzy, the free agent sweepstakes will be muted this year - again because of the decrease in the salary cap.

The other item on the agenda is compliance buyouts and then the cap-hit buyouts. Philly has already admitted defeat and cast off Bryzgalov (with what, 9 years remaining on his contract?) and Danny Brier. I think Brier will find a new team pretty tout suite!

Here's a shocker:

Tampa has just bought out Vincent Lecavalier!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675377

I was not expecting that!!

And here's the link for all teams:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675349
    Last edited by rottersclub; 06-27-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Hot off the press!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Philly has already admitted defeat and cast off Bryzgalov (with what, 9 years remaining on his contract?)
    Seven - they're gonna pay him something like $1.3M/year for 14 years.

Good work if you can get it.

And Tampa just amnestied Lecavalier.

Ok, so the next big thing is the draft. There is question as to who Colorado will take. They should take Seth Jones (defense) because that's where they need to improve the most, but Nathan McKinnon (centre) is probably the better player. Jonathon Drouin is just a smidgen behind them.

There may be some wheeling and dealing on or before draft day for those teams that need to shed some salaries. It's always a tough call to swap an NHL-ready player for a prospect and/or draft pick.
    The Avs have basically been saying over the past couple of days that they're taking McKinnon. The issue with Jones, of course, is that young blueliners typically have much less of an immediate impact than forwards. Plus, McKinnon really stepped it up in the Memorial Cup, and I think that performance on one of the biggest possible stages at the junior level likely resonated heavily with all NHL teams, not just the Avs. Of course, some are saying that this is all a ploy to draw trade interest in the number one overall pick, so I guess we'll see.

If the Avs do take McKinnon that means Seth Jones will likely go second overall to Florida, meaning that this could be the only time we ever discuss him in this thread.

I'm not surprised at all by the Lecavalier thing. Remember that this is Stevie Y making that final call and that, with the exception of himself, the Red Wings shuffled vets in and out of their system constantly during their heyday. That, combined with the lowered cap, makes a player of Vinny's skillset just too expensive at his salary.

Given what's taking place with the buyouts and the inevitable trades (and other ways that teams will address the lowered cap) I think this could actually be a pretty damn active free agent market, with lots of guys being signed for much, much less than their previous contracts. Along with Clarkson, I'm interested in what happens with Mike Smith, presuming he doesn't re-up with the 'yotes.

The draft is this Sunday (all seven rounds in one day this time around) and 'Free Agent Frenzy' is a week from tomorrow...should make for a busy week.

It's not official but it looks like Montreal will buy out the final year of Tomas Kaberle's contract.

They're dropping like flies now.

It's not official but it looks like Montreal will buy out the final year of Tomas Kaberle's contract.
    I believe it's a done deal.. I guess you're all just salivating at the chance of signing him now?!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Trade: Calgary sends Alex Tanguay and Cory Sarich to Colorado for Shane O'Brien and David Jones. This could very well be the Avs acquiring a vet winger to play with McKinnon as well as the Flames dumping salary and vets.

If you want to keep an eye on cap space, go here:

http://www.capgeek.com/

Daniel Alfredsson has decided not to retire.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    B's Fans, NESN is letting the Bruins reporter Naoko Funayama go.
    --
    Jack Edwards @RealJackEdwards

I leave you #BringBackNaoko zealots with this: Fighting the good fight is not only the right thing to do, it can be a heck of a lot of fun.
    --
    Dave Goucher @DavidCGoucher

Sad to hear about @NaokoFunayama. Showed up every day, worked as hard as anyone, and did it all with a smile. A rarity in the business.
    --

Yeah I guess Vignault will be a cool Rangers coach, but if the Great One was in charge who knows what brilliance would emerge especially after this picture from todays paper(s)-

Thank you Wayne.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    ya, very cool of jacobs

Last night I saw Rush, and plenty of Chicago fans wore their Blackhawks jerseys. The Stanley Cup made an appearance. Canadians, Americans, music and hockey. The crowd roared its approval when Neil Peart slipped on his original 6 cap.

http://photos.rush.com/Rush2013/Chic...0960&k=6BVZC6z

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Last night I saw Rush, and plenty of Chicago fans wore their Blackhawks jerseys. The Stanley Cup made an appearance. Canadians, Americans, music and hockey. The crowd roared its approval when Neil Peart slipped on his original 6 cap.

http://photos.rush.com/Rush2013/Chic...0960&k=6BVZC6z
    Some awesome pics there.