Page 62 of 403 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 10059

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ugh...another Paul Holmgren gem. FOUR years, Homer?!!!
    The Flyers are now about $8M over next year's salary cap with that signing. You figure both Bryzgalov and Briere will get bought out?

That was the wild one...

Goalies dissapeared and we had nice old fashion shootout...

Best 2 out of 3....hard to predict the outcome... teams are very even thus far...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    The Flyers are now about $8M over next year's salary cap with that signing. You figure both Bryzgalov and Briere will get bought out?
    That's the word, although I read this morning that the Rangers may amnesty Richards, and if so, the Flyers and Rangers may wind up just swapping Briere and Richards.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wow, what a game. So many ups and downs, lot's of yelling at the tv screen. It was funny to hear the locals bitch and moan about the train wreck disaster Blackhawks after game three, now they are heroes for a few days. Next game will probably be a low scoring affair.

I mentioned before in this thread that the Red Wings are re-loading. Their AHL team The Grand Rapids Griffins, just won the AHL championship. The Red Wings have so much killer young talent it is scary, and they have already re-signed some of the veteran big guns. I am rooting for the Blackhawks to win the Cup this year, but in 2014 the Red Wings are going to be right back up there with the elite.

Steve Sly

Congrats, Griffins!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Dallas names Ruff head coach.

Rangers name Vigneault head coach.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

B'Hawks one away from Cup.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

WeatherWiseCDC
    John Tortorella may very well be the Canucks' next head coach. If so, I'd embrace it. The media's been talking about it all weekend, and it has generated a ton of buzz. It's certainly a change of pace from Vigneault's passive coaching style.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-coaching.html
    John Tortorella arrives in Vancouver amid reports of coaching hire
    Former Rangers coach was fired in May
    The Canadian Press
    Posted: Jun 21, 2013 7:01 PM ET
    Last Updated: Jun 21, 2013 8:43 PM ET

If this was the beginning of the John Tortorella era in Vancouver, it was an inauspicious start.

Tortorella arrived at Vancouver International Airport on Friday amidst reports that he is about to be named as the new Canucks coach. The former New York Rangers bench boss, who is known for run-ins with the media, tried to slip out of the international arrivals area as a few reporters and photographers gave chase.

Accompanied by a woman and burly security guard who doubled as a driver, he declined to answer questions, got into an awaiting SUV and the group drove off.

Multiple media reports have indicated that the 55-year-old Tortorella has been hired to replace Alain Vigneault, who was named coach of his former Rangers club earlier Friday. The Canucks declined to comment on reports that Tortorella has been hired.

"We have interviewed several exceptional candidates for our head coaching vacancy," the team said in a statement to the Canadian Press before Tortorella's arrival. "At this time it would not be appropriate to comment on the process; however we look forward to announcing a decision soon."

Speaking later in the day on the Team 1040 Radio, general manager Mike Gillis indicated the club was close to hiring a new coach and hoped to name him soon. He indicated Tortorella was a strong candidate.

Tortorella appears poised to join the Canucks after five seasons with the Rangers. During his 12-season NHL coaching career, he has also coached Tampa Bay, guiding the Lightning to the Stanley Cup in a seven-game series win over the Calgary Flames in 2003-04.

He was fired by New York after the Rangers were eliminated by the Boston Bruins in the second round of playoffs. His fiery coaching style and temperamental ways differ drastically from Vigneault, Vancouver's all-time winningest coach, who was laid back, had a rapport with media while sidestepping questions on injuries and, as he admitted in a news conference Friday, prefers to give veterans leeway.

News of Tortorella's apparent hiring evoked a strong reaction from Canucks fans. Some callers to a sports radio talk show said they would boycott the club if Tortorella was behind the bench.

Some local media also criticized the move. On Twitter, Vancouver Province columnist Ed Willes called the move "a bad idea that just got a whole lot worse."

Critics contend that Tortorella's coaching style goes against the club's desire to be innovative through such initiatives as sleep management and other approaches that Gillis has stressed during his tenure.

But it's clear that there are likely to be few dull moments if he does take the helm of the Canucks.

"We have a trade to announce."

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-23-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Given the nature of the FA pool this off season, it's should come as no surprise that we'll see a number of trades occur, particularly leading up to and during next Sunday's draft. Besides, what would typically be NEARFest weekend wouldn't be complete without some trade talk, even if it isn't taking place on top of the hill in Bethlehem.

Announced today, the Leafs acquire Johnathan Bernier (or, really, the right to talk to Bernier) from LA for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, and a future 2nd round pick (in either '14 or '15).

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Announced today, the Leafs acquire Johnathan Bernier (or, really, the right to talk to Bernier) from LA for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, and a future 2nd round pick (in either '14 or '15).
    Scrivens is a good, young goalie who really stepped up and proved himself when Reimer was injured this past season. The Leafs need good defence and I really thought that Reimer and Scrivens were the goalies to front that defence. I was very surprised this morning when I heard that Scrivens was gone. I hope that it's a good move for Scrivens personally, because I don't think that it was a good move for the Leafs. But what do I know? Maybe Bernier will be a great fit.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 06-23-2013 at 04:47 PM.

OMG did I really just witness 2 Chicago goals in 17 seconds with a minute sixteen left for the 1st one and now 58.3 seconds left???!!! Wow.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Congrats B'Hawks! Gonna be a looooonnnnngggg summer in Boston. Wow.

Wow.

Holy shit.

Five minutes ago I was thinking, "Man game 7 is gonna rock!"
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

What a finish! Congrats to Chicago.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Holy shit.

So were the Bruins...

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Holy shit.

LOL! Me too! What an ending!

It's kind of a Karma thing for me given how Boston snuck in those last few goals to steal round one from the Leafs...kinda nice for me to see Chicago do virtually the same thing for the Big Win.

Congrats to Chicago and all the Blackhawk fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    So were the Bruins...
    LMAO!!!

77 seconds left. Amazing win by Chicago. Watching post game, post NBC coverage. Scotty Bowman now has cup/ring #13. Amazing career. Even he couldn't believe it. Sadly there was no game 7. So close. See ya next season folks. Congratulations again to the Black Hawks and their fans, quite a few were celebrating inside the arena, cameras just showed thousands in the hometown streets. Fitting as the Black Hawks were the best in the league, that 24 (?) game point streak to start the season was amazing. Almost as much as those last minutes.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Lol Boston.

Yay Chicago.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Since I was predicting going into the playoffs that the B's were going to get eliminated in the first round, mainly because I didn't have confidence in Rask, I'll take it. Congrats Chicago.

A thrilling game, an improbable ending to an epic series ! After watching the Blackhawks all season, knowing that any player on the team could contribute at any moment, it was fitting that their 3rd line scored the winning goal. I thought nothing could match the excitement of their 2010 Stanley Cup run, but this series was indeed memorable.

Well deserved by Hawks...they made it happen at the overtime of game 4 and after that I felt the momentum was on their side...Rask played well but his confidence got rocked by those 6 goals in game 4...saying all that I do not think he deserved to lose last night but that how the bounces go in NHL