Page 60 of 404 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 10077

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Go 'Hawks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

To be honest, I don't care who wins now. I actually like both teams and how they play. I'm just hoping for a kickass series.

Brian, any thoughts on your new head coach?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Once the announcement came last week that Krueger was done I knew that the Oilers had a deal with Eakins basically in the bag. It's going to be interesting to see how he does. He has a great rep for developing talent and working with young players though, if you look at his AHL record, it really isn't all that impressive. He seems like a smart hockey guy and, to a degree, the play of some of the Leafs this past year could be in part attributed to how he helped them develop in the AHL. I'm just glad the remains of the last group of coaches is gone--a wholesale change was needed at that level.

I still say MacT wasn't the best GM choice but I'm cool with this hiring and I'm fine with what seems to be the inevitable casting off of Horcoff and Hemsky too. If this is the type of progress the franchise is going to make under his leadership then I really can't complain too much.

WeatherWiseCDC
    You guys (the Oilers) need some grit. Your top six seems quite fragile, and your bottom six and defensive core are still fairly questionable. I would really love for Edmonton to succeed, but there are some obvious weaknesses that need to be addressed. Eakins will certainly help develop the youth on the roster, and I'm especially excited to see how Nail Yakupov is utilized next season. Krueger's placement of Yakupov with Hemsky at times last season was infuriating considering their styles hardly complement one another.

The Canucks, meanwhile, are still searching for a coach though I have no idea in which direction Mike Gillis is steering the team. I think a rebuild is in order. Alex Edler needs to be moved as does Roberto Luongo. The Sedins are on the final year of their current contracts, and I'm not entirely keen on re-signing them if they won't take a substantial pay cut. In my opinion, the team needs to make some trades to acquire youth. There are rumors the team will try to acquire a high draft pick in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft, though I'm not confident that will happen. A new franchise player is exactly what this team needs.

Hard to believe that this will be the first meeting ever in a Stanley Cup final for Boston-Chicago. Just proves that back in the days of the Original 6, it was really the story of 3 teams (Montreal, Detroit, Toronto). I have grudgingly been rooting for Boston ( I loathe the Pens). Not sure who to root for now. I do expect a slew of 2-1 games though!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Boston in 6....

I'm going with the Hawks in 7. I'm looking forward to an entertaining series. I was a little disappointed that we didn't a matter/anti-matter reaction between Marchand and Cooke - where they both blow up. Still looking forward to someone giving Marchand a stern talking to ... or worse.

I guess I will root for the Hawks to bring the cup back to the Midwest. Should be a great series either way.

Steve Sly

WeatherWiseCDC
    As a Canucks fan, I have always found it incredibly cool that Tony Banks decided to wear a Canucks sweater for the filming of the "Follow You Follow Me" music video. That particular song is a favorite of mine and conjures some very warm memories. The Canucks were not a very successful team back then (they only qualified for the postseason twice in their first eight seasons [1970-78]), and for anyone outside of Vancouver to be wearing one of their jerseys would have been rare. Many hockey fans in Vancouver at the time were actually fans of either the Leafs or the Habs; whenever those two teams would visit, the majority of the building would be cheering for the away team! Thus, it's very cool that Tony Banks decided to show his appreciation for the team and/or for the city of Vancouver. Phil and the band did, after all, have a pretty strong relationship with the city. Perhaps one of them may have attended a game at some point.

Oddly enough, though, Tony's Canucks sweater doesn't match anything ever worn by the team. The sweater featured in the "Follow You Follow Me" music video most closely resembles the sweater worn by the Canucks between 1970 to 1972; their white uniforms were slightly altered after the 1971-72 season. The video would have been filmed in 1977, which raises alarms about which exact jersey Tony is wearing. The sleeves on Tony's sweater feature two stripes -- green and blue -- but are missing the patented "V." I found that quite strange upon observing it.

(By the way, I believe this is the Nick Davis mix)

Pictured here are the 40th anniversary throwbacks worn by the team in the 2010-11 season, matching every detail of the team's original uniforms; this is the one Tony is supposedly wearing.

After 1972, the sweaters looked like this (notice the striping):

The sweater Tony Banks wears in the video was never worn by the Canucks, which leads me to think he was wearing a knockoff sweater. The collar is completely blue and the striping is different. Any time I watch this video, I always have that in the back of my mind, and I even chuckle a bit knowing it's a fake jersey. I also wonder where in the world he obtained it (possibly from Phil?). I'm sure there's a story to be told about that.

Still, it's pretty awesome that the team's brand made an appearance in a Genesis video and that they cared to wear it! That already makes this Canucks fan proud.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-11-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Always loved that jersey. So much better than the gold/orange "V" jerseys they wore for a while there.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Always loved that jersey. So much better than the gold/orange "V" jerseys they wore for a while there.
    Absolutely. These jerseys are quite polarizing. Many dislike them, though there are some who thought the Flying V sweaters looked great. They wore them for seven seasons between 1978 and 1985.

Those developed into these:

After four seasons, the above jerseys were redesigned into these beauties:

The Bure-era jerseys are still my favorite. We almost won the Stanley Cup in 1994, and some of my favorite players wore those sweaters.

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-11-2013 at 09:35 AM.

They look like they stepped out of a Lost in Space set.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Let's cut to the chase here, Ottawa's third jersey says it all:

Hot-or-Hmm-Rihannas-Greystone-Red-Black-and-White-Ottawa-Senators-Jersey-and-Tom-Ford-Spring-201.jpg

Oh, were we talking about hockey. I forget.

Go Bruins

============================

As for Canucks sweater, I really liked much better their big V sweater (which made the sport looked modern)... I was less fond of the model that came after (with that huge disputable (taste-wise) logo, even more so once the shoulder stripes disappeared (and yuck!!! I didn't eve"n remember that they also playin white jerseys with the blaclk gold and orange colours)......
    but still like them all better than the blue and green sweaters

But then again, I liked when the flyers had those long pants that they wore for a couple years...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But then again, I liked when the flyers had those long pants that they wore for a couple years...
    They were awesome!

CooperAlls. You could go right from the rink to the disco.

Mark Streit to Philly for a 4th rounder in 2014. Let's see if they can sign him...

WeatherWiseCDC
    Go Bruins

As for Canucks sweater, I really liked much better their big V sweater (which made the sport looked modern)... I was less fond of the model that came after (with that huge disputable (taste-wise) logo, even more so once the shoulder stripes disappeared (and yuck!!! I didn't eve"n remember that they also playin white jerseys with the blaclk gold and orange colours)......
    but still like them all better than the blue and green sweaters

What! The plain white/black uniforms with yellow/red/black trim are the most iconic jerseys in Canucks history. Those are the colors Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, and Kirk McLean wore. That was the team Pat Quinn coached. The team also participated in one of the most exciting Stanley Cup Finals in NHL history, nearly upsetting the heavily-favored President's Trophy winning New York Rangers in 1994 (seriously, the Rangers' payroll was double the Canucks', yet the series was decided by one goal in Game 7).

Those were the colors the team wore when Vancouver became a real hockey market, transformed radically by the arrival of Bure.

Markus Naslund joined the team in 1995:

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-12-2013 at 08:15 PM.

WeatherWiseCDC
    They switched to these before the 1997-98 season, wearing them for the next nine years. This was when Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi, and the West Coast Express rose to prominence, becoming one of the best lines in hockey in the early 2000s (with Ed Jovanovski, Sami Salo, and Mattias Ohlund on defense).

As that era ended, the Luongo era began.

Now, with the apparent end of the Luongo era, perhaps we should expect some new uniforms. The team needs a makeover, from the coaching staff to the players to management.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-12-2013 at 08:17 PM.

My prediction, Blackhawks in 7 !!

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    What! The plain white/black uniforms with yellow/red/black trim are the most iconic jerseys in Canucks history. Those are the colors Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, and Kirk McLean wore. That was the team Pat Quinn coached. The team also participated in one of the most exciting Stanley Cup Finals in NHL history, nearly upsetting the heavily-favored President's Trophy winning New York Rangers in 1994 (seriously, the Rangers' payroll was double the Canucks', yet the series was decided by one goal in Game 7).
    Those are fine. It's the "V" unis that are flat-out horrible.

Game One.

Period Six.

Cool.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    My prediction, Blackhawks in 7 !!
    You mean, 7 periods in game one, right?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Those were the colors the team wore when Vancouver became a real hockey market, transformed radically by the arrival of Bure.
    Sorry, but I think that the early 80's Nilssen (coach) era, with that famous white-towel incident Stanley-cup final against the NYI, is the iconic Canucks era >> and that was with the big V... without that era, Vancouver might not have survived as an NHL city

They switched to these before the 1997-98 season, wearing them for the next nine years. This was when Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi, and the West Coast Express rose to prominence, becoming one of the best lines in hockey in the early 2000s (with Ed Jovanovski, Sami Salo, and Mattias Ohlund on defense).

As that era ended, the Luongo era began.

Now, with the apparent end of the Luongo era, perhaps we should expect some new uniforms. The team needs a makeover, from the coaching staff to the players to management.
    Actually I much prefer that C-Shark era with the blue and green shirts than those blue-red-white sweaters... at least the B&G colours had some kind of legitimacy (the team's halcyon days), whereas the blue-red stuff came out of nowhere

Come to think of it, Vancouver has the Stanley Cup for the most NHL oufit changes of all time... by quite a margin...

Somebody mentionned 80's NHL... isn't it a bit odd that the two poserhouses of that decade (Islanders and Oilers) are now consistentyly amongst the lower rungs of the standings
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Sorry, but I think that the early 80's Nilssen (coach) era, with that famous white-towel incident Stanley-cup final against the NYI, is the iconic Canucks era >> and that was with the big V... without that era, Vancouver might not have survived as an NHL city
    As a diehard Canucks fan who knows this team inside and out, I respectfully disagree. As someone who grew up in the city, I can confirm the Canucks were never a very popular draw in the 1980s. The Smyl era team accomplished one cinderella run in a decade of mediocrity. One can romanticize that postseason campaign, but it was a mere blip in an era of incompetence. In fact, in the mid-1980s, the team set franchise lows in attendance. The attendance was worse than it had ever been. The 1982 run had nothing to do with the team's long-term success; while the towel-raising gesture is iconic, it did nothing for the franchise as it had no bearing on the actual on-ice results. Attendance continued to plummet after the 1981-82 season. The Canucks were rarely televised on CBC, often because the broadcaster favored the Oilers, Leafs, and Canadiens. The Canucks were a niche team for educated hockey fans in the 1970s and 1980s. Roger Neilson's towel-waving gesture is iconic, but is truly one of the only standout moments in twenty years of failure. In addition, the Canucks were swept in four games against the Islanders.

Nobody recalls the Smyl era with much fondness. The team had no star players, and their drafting and asset management were abysmal. After Neilson was fired two seasons later, the team faced the wrath of the worst coach in team history, Bill LaForge. The Canucks even traded away Cam Neely after his first few seasons with the team. Many, in fact, consider those the dark ages of this team's history, so your assessment might be a bit off base.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=8756

Canucks Nation was born in the early 1990s with the arrival of Pavel Bure and the occurrence of the 1994 Stanley Cup run. The fanbase increased exponentially as he and the team converted countless people into hockey fans. There are many, many who became fans because of Bure. Hockey became more than hockey at this point, changing the cultural landscape of the city forever. Vancouver became a real hockey market in the 1990s, evolving drastically from its former days. Hockey became an obsession, something it had not been before. The early 1990s were the most important years in the franchise's history, and without the surge in support, the team might very well have fallen victim to relocation just as the Jets and Nordiques did. The Canadian dollar was weak in the late 1990s, making teams up north quite vulnerable. The team's popularity and its status as a premiere franchise in the 1990s saved it from relocation:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...29/1/index.htm
    December 07, 1992
    The Russian Rocket
    Moscow-born right wing Pavel Bure is having a blast in Vancouver
    Austin Murphy

Glen Ringdal's job suddenly got much easier on Oct. 31, 1991. That was the day the Vancouver Canucks signed Pavel Bure. At long last Ringdal, the Canucks' marketing director, had someone to market.

Asked to name the players who preceded Bure (rhymes with HOO-ray) on Vancouver's list of stars, Ringdal answers tactfully. "Harold Snepsts was very popular," he says, referring to the glowering, unibrowed defenseman who played 12 years for the Canucks. "The fans went crazy when he scored a goal."

And? "Stan Smyl was a crowd favorite." Smyl, a Canuck from 1978-79 to '90-91, was a bent-nosed forward from northern Alberta beloved for his work ethic and grit. "And of course Trevor is very popular." Trevor Linden, a more skilled version of Smyl, is Vancouver's current captain.

Finally, the tact gives way to candor. "I guess there were no real stars before Pavel, who holds the audience captive every time the puck is on his stick," says Ringdal. "The fans liked Harold. What you have with Pavel is more of an idolization, like you get with certain musical artists. Like you got with Elvis."

Hyperbole? Two thousand people attended Bure's first practice in Vancouver, on Nov. 3, 1991. The freebie 8-by 10-inch glossies of Bure that the Canucks once distributed before home games now sell for up to $25 on the memorabilia market. There was such a crush for the pictures, says Ringdal, that "the people handing them out were getting mauled."

Vancouverites could hardly be blamed for overreacting. They were superstar virgins. Citizens of this coniferous jewel of a city, which has a major league team only in hockey, had never seen Bure's like in a Canuck uniform: a game breaker, a dangerous, attacking player capable of scoring from anywhere without help from anyone. "He can take the puck from behind our net, carry it down the ice and score," says Linden. "That's rare."

That's Bure. With 24 goals at the end of last week, he was on a pace to score 81 this season. In their 22-year, Stanley Cup-less history, the Canucks have never had a 50-goal scorer. Until Bure won last year's Calder Trophy as the league's best rookie, no Vancouver player had ever won an NHL postseason award. Linden, the Canucks' former glamour-puss, now gets letters like this one:
    Dear Trevor,

You've always been my favorite Canuck, so could you get me Pavel's autograph?
    "Humbling," says Linden. Overwhelming, admits Bure, who has hired someone to deal with the sacks of fan mail. The Russian Rocket, as Bure has been christened locally, is seen all over town. There he is, decked out to resemble James Dean, in a fashion spread in Western Living magazine, which gushed, "We think [Dean's] Little Boy Lost good looks have been reincarnated in Pavel Bure." And there he is in Canuck ads in bus shelters and on billboards: Where Linden's photo once appeared, there is now a picture of Bure, a rocket on his back, with a caption reading, WE HAVE LIFTOFF.
    Actually I much prefer that C-Shark era with the blue and green shirts than those blue-red-white sweaters... at least the B&G colours had some kind of legitimacy (the team's halcyon days), whereas the blue-red stuff came out of nowhere

Come to think of it, Vancouver has the Stanley Cup for the most NHL oufit changes of all time... by quite a margin...

Somebody mentionned 80's NHL... isn't it a bit odd that the two poserhouses of that decade (Islanders and Oilers) are now consistentyly amongst the lower rungs of the standings
    The Islanders recently qualified for the postseason for the first time in six seasons and are on an upswing now, but were definitely terrible over the past 15 or so years. On the Canucks' current crest is actually an orca, inspired by Coast Salish aboriginal art.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-13-2013 at 07:07 AM.