Page 5 of 402 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

The eons are closing
    If they release him now...there is a cap penalty...if they wait to summer, no cap penalty.

Also: If he gets injured and is on injured reserve, one cannot use the amnesty buyout.

So therefore...get paid, dont play, get bought out this summer.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Forgive my ignorance...

So, if they release him now, there would be a penalty in addition to his salary against the cap? Or, is the penalty just that they would have to carry his salary only against the cap?

It just sounds like they're screwing him over, to me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Scott Gomez is a problem that the new Habs front office inherited from the old regime. He had 2 goals and 9 assists last season, but made something like 6 million bucks (don't have the figures handy). New GM Marc Bergevin is doing the best thing he can for the team right now. Gomez will make another shitload of money to sit at home, or on the beach, or wherever. They will then buy him out and he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Doesn't sound like he's getting screwed to me. His performance since coming over has screwed the Habs!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Well, yeah, he's not getting screwed if he's still getting paid, sure.

But I'm sure he'd rather be released from his contract so he can play than just sitting around.

I dunno...I'm not close enough to the situation, I guess.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's probably not ideal for him, for sure; but he's been a total bust. The Habs are merely exercising a right they have. I'm sure they'd prefer him being productive and on the team. He has to understand the organization he signed up with. The Habs don't fuck around! They were last in the East last year and unless they want to get booed right out of the Bell Centre, they need to improve radically!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The eons are closing

If I read it correctly, Gomez gets paid $5.5 not to play this year. When they buy out the final year of his contract this summer, he still gets another $4.5, regardless of whether he signs with another club for the 2013-2014 season. So he is certainly not being "screwed over". He has a union protecting him.

Well, again, the "screwed over" thing wasn't being applied to his getting paid, but to his not being allowed to play.

Yep. Redden situation is exactly the same. He will probably be asked to stay home while team swallows the cap hit. No chance of injury and then summer buyout.

Another option would be to use draft picks and prospects to try and get another team with cap space to take him. This is most likely not going to happen though because they don't want to lose the assets or future pieces.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    I read that Redden will be allowed to work a trade; but if it falls through, he is being sent home.

The league gave NY permission today to keep Redden from playing in minors if they choose to.

And Thomas, I read today that Visnovsky made an appeal to stay in KHL and the league refused. If he's forced to play with the Isles, the players are going to hate him! Not good for the team.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I read today that Visnovsky made an appeal to stay in KHL
    He just like to fly Antonov
    1e6d7dd4482e811bfa9acb19aa67.jpg

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The league gave NY permission today to keep Redden from playing in minors if they choose to.

And Thomas, I read today that Visnovsky made an appeal to stay in KHL and the league refused. If he's forced to play with the Isles, the players are going to hate him! Not good for the team.
    He is bitter that the last CBA let him down re: the arbitrator's decision on his no-trade clause. If he does not report, its not likely that he will play in the NHL again.

If he does report, he should talk to Nabokov on how to ruin then resurrect your career.

What about Rick Di Pietro? Are there any rumours on the Island about the Isles dumping his long term contract?

The eons are closing
    Fan post (not me) on Visnovsky:
    The Islanders need to send a representative from their alumni, Clark Gillies, to go talk to Lubomir Visnovski about being an Islander and properly representing the team and organization with its proud history and when Jethro is through with him, Visnovski will no longer be a reluctant Islander, he will be the hardest working player on the roster.
    Not likely, but a fine thought nonetheless.

Re: DiPietro
    The sooner that POS leaves, the better.... IMO: there is a 95% chance of a summer buyout, as long as Ricky doesn't hurt his labia or something...

Anyone check out the Google doodle today?

Not sure if it works for our Canadian friends.

Lino
    IMO: there is a 95% chance of a summer buyout, as long as Ricky doesn't hurt his labia or something...>>

Heyyyyyyyyyy so this is where the hackey talk is happenin.

You know, it's been crazy up here in Canada. The level of hurt feelings over this lock-out was incredible. But there I was at pool last night and the guys on the team were like little kids discussing hockey. You know, getting all pissed off at each other as they argued shit like: which goalie you would take right NOW to win a series for ya. I looked over and thought to myself "look at them, they are fucking giddy. Hockey is back. Hockey TALK is back." They haven't hit the ice yet lol. ONE guy on a team of 10 said "you guys are crazy if you watch a single game this year" He was ignored. Not even a response. Everybody knows that we SHOULG be pissed off, but when it comes to hockey, most Canadian men can't hold a grudge lol.

The only sad thing for me is that the Leafs unbeaten streak (since March 2011) will come to an end soon. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    ONE guy on a team of 10 said "you guys are crazy if you watch a single game this year" He was ignored. Not even a response. Everybody knows that we SHOULG be pissed off, but when it comes to hockey, most Canadian men can't hold a grudge lol.
    This is EXACTLY how I feel.

I'm so freaking pissed at the freaking lockout, but the newspaper now has hockey stories, they're talking about it on the radio, and I just can't wait for Saturday.

All of which makes me even more pissed at the owners for taking our game away and taking advantage of the fact that we're all gonna be there, supporting our teams, because we're freaking addicted!

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post

The only sad thing for me is that the Leafs unbeaten streak (since March 2011) will come to an end soon. Maybe.
    You wish!

For all you cap geeks, capgeek.com has a new category for players that are "buried". They include the previously mentioned Scott Gomez and Wade Redden. And the illustrious, Colton Orr.

And yes, google.ca gets the same doodles as the mothership's.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    And yes, google.ca gets the same doodles as the mothership's.
    I wasn't sure, with you guys being a third world nation and all.

Speaking of KHL, is Jori Lehtera still with the Blues ??

I have never seen a shot like this before ! And a penalty shot at that !!!

Yeah, I linked that earlier. Unreal, isn't it?

Lino
    You wish!
    yea, I did mean 2012. Time flies when you are unbeaten in so long.

Lino
    And the illustrious, Colton Orr.
    he's in training camp right now with the Leafs. Butwarning to fantasy players... he just dislocated or broke one of his fingers yesterday. His sniping might not be up to par. I might take him in a letr round.