Page 57 of 402 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 10040

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Great game last night. Had Detroit won in OT it would have been a travesty with that awful call with a minute left negating a goal. No underdogs in the final four kinda bums me out, but these games should be awesome.

Regarding Torts, a change was due. There's a bunch of names being tossed around, but I'd be happy with Ruff or Vigneaut. The NY media is rejoicing...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Great game last night. Had Detroit won in OT it would have been a travesty with that awful call with a minute left negating a goal. No underdogs in the final four kinda bums me out, but these games should be awesome.
    Totally agree on all counts. Should be great hockey from here out (not that it wasn't great up 'til now).

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The NY media is rejoicing...
    No doubt. Between their probably feeling like they helped get rid of a guy they hate plus the sheer ecstasy of writing about the search for a coach, they must be beside themselves.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm lurking here, but would chime in to the non-Chicagoans about the ice at the United Center...

During the regular season the Bulls and the Hawks play back to back nights all the time. It's just a story because the Rolling Stones happened to be there the night before. Don't make a big deal about it, cuz it's just life at the UC.

Great graphic my buddy Phil did for the Chicago Tribune:

http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/gamechangers/

GO HAWKS - BACK TO BACK NIGHTS AGAINST THE KINGS!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Well….the Red Wings are toast. I was at work so could only listen to the game on my computer and did not see it. The one big positive take away from this season though is the performance of the rookies on the team. They got better and better as the season moved on and really came on towards the end. I think if this had been a full season that the team would have in much better shape come playoff time. I am pretty confident that given another year to mature the Red Wings mix of veterans and rookies is going to pay off big time going forward into next year. I guess I will root for the Blackhawks to go all the way this time around since they are the other Midwest team still alive.

Steve Sly
    Might as well, Steve. Seeing the success that Detroit had year after year, the Blackhawks molded their team to emulate the RedWings. That's a huge compliment to a now-gone rival. I thought the Blackhawks would have an easier time with the RedWings, but I wasn't alone.

The final four are interesting in that there are two "tough" teams - Boston and LA - and two "skilled" teams - Chicago and Pittsburgh. I'm really not sure which will prevail, because obviously, the tough teams have some scorers and the more skilled teams have some physical players. I'm so confused ...

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    The final four are interesting in that there are two "tough" teams - Boston and LA - and two "skilled" teams - Chicago and Pittsburgh. I'm really not sure which will prevail, because obviously, the tough teams have some scorers and the more skilled teams have some physical players. I'm so confused ...
    Not me...

Boston in 6
    Chicago in 6

Done...

Chicago looks unfazeable (is that a word?) so I'll pick them in 6.

Boston- Pittsburgh: I think the key will be the Pens powerplay. We know Boston will be playing their chippy (nay dirty) style to try an intimidate. If Pittsburgh makes them pay with PP goals then I like the Pens to prevail in 6.

Re Detroit: They will be in our division next season! We may end up having the toughest division in the league next year!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Might as well, Steve. Seeing the success that Detroit had year after year, the Blackhawks molded their team to emulate the RedWings. That's a huge compliment to a now-gone rival. I thought the Blackhawks would have an easier time with the RedWings, but I wasn't alone.
    Agreed, I really thought the series would be over in 5 games with Chicago advancing so the Wings did better than I expected. Another team that is trying to emulate the Red Wings organizational style is the Tampa Bay Lightning. Steve Yzerman is their general manager and has brought a lot of Red Wings ideas with him. I think the Lightning are moving in the right direction and it is just a matter of time until they are back up there with the elite NHL teams.

Anyway, it should be a great final four from here. 4 very talented teams with different playing styles. I'll root for the Hawks, but it really could be anybody at this point.
    Steve Sly

Let's not forget Ottawa - coached by Paul MacLean who was an assistant in Detroit for a number of years. They have been playing a Detroit-styled puck possession game that has been quite successful.

Let's not forget Ottawa - coached by Paul MacLean who was an assistant in Detroit for a number of years. They have been playing a Detroit-styled puck possession game that has been quite successful.
    Good point, I forgot about him and you are right Ottawa has been doing a lot better of late. I don't think it is even so much the style of play as it is the way the whole system is organized from top to bottom. The Red Wings are really well built from the inside as an organization and even their farm system is right up there with the best. Their AHL team the Grand Rapids Griffins are about 45 minutes north of where I live, and they are great at developing talent, Jimmy Howard being a prime example. He came into the Griffins as a young and very raw talent, and left as an NHL goalie. The reason the Red Wings have been able to make the playoffs for 22 consecutive years is that organizationally they just have it together. It is really pretty amazing as there are very few other professional sports franchises that can match that level of success. The Yankees in baseball and the Lakers in basketball come to mind, but even those two have fallen on difficult times in recent years. The Patriots in the NFL are pretty solid year after year so they might be an apt comparison, but there aren’t very many.

Steve Sly

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Good point, I forgot about him and you are right Ottawa has been doing a lot better of late. I don't think it is even so much the style of play as it is the way the whole system is organized from top to bottom. The Red Wings are really well built from the inside as an organization and even their farm system is right up there with the best. Their AHL team the Grand Rapids Griffins are about 45 minutes north of where I live, and they are great at developing talent, Jimmy Howard being a prime example. He came into the Griffins as a young and very raw talent, and left as an NHL goalie. The reason the Red Wings have been able to make the playoffs for 22 consecutive years is that organizationally they just have it together. It is really pretty amazing as there are very few other professional sports franchises that can match that level of success. The Yankees in baseball and the Lakers in basketball come to mind, but even those two have fallen on difficult times in recent years. The Patriots in the NFL are pretty solid year after year so they might be an apt comparison, but there aren’t very many.

Steve Sly
    It sure isn't the Toronto Maple Leafs.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Hockey ain't my passion, but I gotta give a shout out to Ken and all my other windy city pals for the Hawks overcoming a 3-1 deficit!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

LA in 6
    Pitt in 6

however I'd like to see boston LA in the final. bloodbath lol

I'm going with Pens in 5 and Hawks in 7. Good vs Evil and all that ...

Steve, WRT the Wings dynasty, I agree their off-ice operations are top-notch. Especially their scouting organization and especially their European scouts. They have found some real diamonds in the rough like Gustav Nyquist 121st, Joakim Andersson 88th, Johan Franzen 97th, Valtteri Filppula 95th, Henrik Zetterberg 210th!!, Pavel Datsyuk 171st!!!, etc.

Pitt in 5
    L.A. in 6

Pitt in 5
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm going with Pens in 5 and Hawks in 7. Good vs Evil and all that ...

Steve, WRT the Wings dynasty, I agree their off-ice operations are top-notch. Especially their scouting organization and especially their European scouts. They have found some real diamonds in the rough like Gustav Nyquist 121st, Joakim Andersson 88th, Johan Franzen 97th, Valtteri Filppula 95th, Henrik Zetterberg 210th!!, Pavel Datsyuk 171st!!!, etc.
    True, they have been very successful with Russian recruits over the years as well.

Steve Sly

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Pitt in 6
    Chi-town in 7
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Useless info, except for those who think Canadian players rule. My only observation is the Blackhawks are the least physical of the 4 remaining teams.
    Number of Canadian born players on their playoff roster:
    There are two canadian goalies, Chicago's Crawford and Pitts' Fleury.

Blackhawks 9
    Bruins 14
    Kings 13
    Penguins 13

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by_asc=Y

**This has been copied and reprinted without the consent, written or otherwise, from the news page at NHL.com**

Gretzky, Messier reportedly eye Rangers' coaching job (Friday, 05.31.2013 / 11:07 PM)

Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier reportedly are each interested in coaching the New York Rangers.
    Multiple media reports, including from the New York Daily News, New York Post and Sportsnet, say the hockey icons have expressed interest in the job, which opened up when John Tortorella was fired Wednesday.
    The Rangers have not had any comment.
    Messier is a legend in New York, where he led the Rangers to the Stanley Cup in 1994, ending a 54-year championship drought. He serves as a special adviser to general manager Glen Sather and has no NHL coaching experience.
    Gretzky, who won the Stanley Cup four times with the Edmonton Oilers in the 1980s playing with Messier and with Sather running the team, coached the Phoenix Coyotes from 2005-09, posting a 143-161-24 record and failing to make the playoffs. He has not officially been involved with the NHL since leaving the Coyotes.
    Gretzky finished his playing career with three seasons in New York and was a teammate of Messier's in 1996-97, when the Rangers reached the Eastern Conference Final.
    TSN also reported Friday that the Rangers have been granted permission to talk to Dallas Eakins, coach of the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League, and Alain Vigneault, who was fired as coach by the Vancouver Canucks with two years remaining on his contract
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Pitt in 7
    Blackhawks in 6

Personally I'd love to see the Kings repeat as champions. Overall though I just want three good series.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

GO BRUINS!!!!

(Can't believe I wrote that.)
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    GO BRUINS!!!!

(Can't believe I wrote that.)
    And Go they did!

WeatherWiseCDC
    Hawks vs Kings time.

Also, I'd like to share with you guys a video I did a few years ago. It was played at Rogers Arena at the 2010-11 Canucks home opener, which I was very much humbled by. I would do certain things differently if I could re-do the video, though, and the audio would have been mixed a bit differently. I've learned a lot since then. It had 25,000 views in its original run, but I reset my channel for a variety of reasons and just recently re-uploaded it:

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 06-02-2013 at 08:43 PM.

B'Hawks up 4-0. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    Hawks vs Kings time.

Also, I'd like to share with you guys a video I did a few years ago. It was played at Rogers Arena at the 2010-11 Canucks home opener, which I was very much humbled by. I would do certain things differently if I could re-do the video, though, and the audio would have been mixed a bit differently. I've learned a lot since then. It had 25,000 views in its original run, but I reset my channel for a variety of reasons and just recently re-uploaded it:

Best use of a Coldplay song !