Page 56 of 402 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 10029

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Well, they're picking over the corpse in Ottawa now. The general consensus is that there is no shame in losing to what was obviously a more talented team. The bitter taste is the way the last two games went as Ottawa basically folded up after that amazing Game 3 comeback. In their defense, it's clear that Karlsson, Spezza and Michalek were not fully recovered when they returned to action and that Cowen really suffered from missing most of the season. The Pens really capitalized on Karlsson's inability to turn at speed. I just hope that he will be able to fully recover, because it would be a real shame for such a great skater to be permanently hampered by such a bullshit injury.

Now attention is switching to Daniel Alfredsson's decision whether or not he will return for another season. He's 40 now and clearly has slowed down. But overall, his health is excellent and he can still contribute, so I would not be surprised if he signs a one year contract in Ottawa over the summer.

My pool picks in Round 2 are pretty much kaput. There's still lots of great hockey to come.

Hey, Ottawa has a lot to be proud of with all the adversity they faced this season.

Great game last night. Good to see that one go to 7.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

On to game 7. It is going to be tough for the Wings to pull it off in Chi-town. They kind of blew their opportunity tonight.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    On to game 7. It is going to be tough for the Wings to pull it off in Chi-town. They kind of blew their opportunity tonight.

Steve Sly
    I agree. Chicago has got momentum now. That team is harder to kill than Rasputin!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Defending champs are still defending.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Will the Rolling Stones affect game 7 ?

While the workers at the United Center might be approaching their 19th nervous breakdown trying to deal with the constant building and removal of the Rolling Stones’ stage during their weeklong stay at the Blackhawks’ home arena, the Hawks know they can’t always get what they want in terms of quality ice.“It’s a busy building,”
    Jonathan Toews said. “Some nights are tough. That’s the way it is. We can’t really worry about that too much. If it’s chippy a little bit, we’ll just have to play a simple game. Can’t make too many pretty plays. It’s very similar in most buildings.”
    Not Joe Louis Arena, though. Detroit’s home rink — which the Wings don’t share with the Pistons — is renowned for having some of the best ice in the league. The United Center, however, is known for choppy, bumpy ice caused by the constant use for basketball games and concerts.

In fact, a lousy surface might even play in the Hawks’ favor. Just like the Red Wings are used to the quirky bounces off the aging boards at Joe Louis, the Hawks know how to play on the UC’s choppy ice. “We’re kind of used to bad ice here.”

Michael Frolik said. “The ice is not perfect here. Hopefully, we’ll be more used to it than them, and it’s going to be an advantage for us.”

The Rolling Stones took over most of the building on Saturday, but the Hawks weren’t planning to skate anyway. They still had the sanctuary of their dressing room and meeting rooms and said the inconvenience was minimal, if anything. Duncan Keith said the 2006 Stones show was one of the best he has ever seen, but the Hawks were planning to go home and watch hockey rather than stick around for the show.

“I’ll probably watch the Kings-Sharks game,” Niklas Hjalmarsson said. “I’m not a big Stones fan. It’s a little too old for me, I guess.”

Toews is a big fan but said he’ll have to “catch them another time, I guess. We’ve got bigger fish to fry right now.”
    As for sharing his “house” with rock stars? “It would be the same thing as Kaner, I guess,” Toews quipped.

I think, in this day and age, there is absolutely no excuse for sloppy, choppy ice. Especially in games as important as these.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Time constraints can make for inferior ice. If there isn't enough turnaround time between events it can affect the quality of the ice being made. It's not like a stadium's synthetic surface than can just be laid down and away you go.

Of course, some buildings (mostly in warmer climate cities) seem clueless about how to make a quality ice surface. Florida Panthers arena must surely have the worse surface in the league!

Sure, I get that. I just think that after all these years of NHL that they'd be able to figure out how to properly freeze water.

How TF are they going to play outdoors in Los Angeles?!!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

With Roy now coaching the Avs, do you think he will teach his goalies that they're not allowed to cross center ice with the puck?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wow, that Sharks/Kings Game 7 was unbelievably frantic. What a frenetic pace they kept up for most of the game. That's why I love the playoffs. You just don't see that level of "desperation" in 1 of 82 regular season matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Didn't see that coming.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Didn't see that coming.
    ...well he had few tries with no much success...this year the gap appeared to be even bigger than years before....

Will Torts land elsewhere or is his abrasive style a deterrent to teams looking for a coach? I think Vigneault is probably the best out-of-work coach right now...

I'm sure the Rangers will kick Lindy Ruff's tires as well as Vigneault. I wouldn't be surprised to see Schoenfeld in the mix. Personally, I'd like to see them take a run at Granato (Tony, not Cammie).

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Will Torts land elsewhere
    I can easily see him in the broadcast booth as an off-color commentater. Or he'll further his fashion career and be an in demand print model for Burberry's among others. Also, perhaps he's the new "most interesting man in the world" character for Dos XX's.

I can easily see him in the broadcast booth as an off-color commentater.
    I think he should become a sports reporter and ask tough, post-game questions of hockey coaches.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think he should become a sports reporter and ask tough, post-game questions of hockey coaches.

5 most recent Cup winners-
    2011-12 - Los Angeles Kings
    2010-11 - Boston Bruins
    2009-10 - Chicago Blackhawks
    2008-09 - Pittsburgh Penguins
    2007-08 - Detroit Red Wings

Cool.

And speaking of cool, here we go...game 7, OT. Controversal no goal with 1:47 left. See how that figures into this...

The only thing more exciting than game 7 is overtime in game 7. All that work and it comes down to one single goal.

Controversal no goal with 1:47 left. See how that figures into this...
    That was a bullshit call. Chicago got totally screwed on that one.

But, I've no rooting interest, so...

GAME 7 OVERTIME BABY!!!!

5 most recent Cup winners-
    2010-11 - Boston Bruins
    2007-08 - Detroit Red Wings

Cool.

And speaking of cool, here we go...game 7, OT. Controversal no goal with 1:47 left. See how that figures into this...

4 most recent Cup winners-
    2010-11 - Boston Bruins

Fitting.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice win for Chicago! Squeck.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Well….the Red Wings are toast. I was at work so could only listen to the game on my computer and did not see it. The one big positive take away from this season though is the performance of the rookies on the team. They got better and better as the season moved on and really came on towards the end. I think if this had been a full season that the team would have in much better shape come playoff time. I am pretty confident that given another year to mature the Red Wings mix of veterans and rookies is going to pay off big time going forward into next year. I guess I will root for the Blackhawks to go all the way this time around since they are the other Midwest team still alive.

Steve Sly